(Adhesions?) causing partial obstruction

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crybaby

(Adhesions?) causing partial obstruction

Postby crybaby » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:12 am

So my dad have been having those issue with some stools or gas obstruction a year or so after his ileo reversal in 2017. Though they used be once in couple months. In Dec 2021, was the first major complication and he had to be admitted for a little over a week. Then this year, we found pelvic and sacral mets too. And post-radiation in April-May, this has been more common. We were just seeing this gastro (not onco) over last week. He treated him for IBS, which kinda improved my dad's bowel motion. But then again had one of those attacks, Gastro told this might be because of the adhesions at IC junction, (at the site of ileo reversal :?: )
He suggested to see the treating surgeon rather than other surgeon. I kinda want to consult some other surgeon than last one because of past complications of surgery. And its gonna be a really hard to meet more experienced doctor today and tomorrow.
Though our current gastro suggested that the CT Scan will give more details what exactly might be causing the problem but we had PET Scan in June, 2022 and CT Scan in Jan, 2021. Shouldn't that be enough already?

Though dad's belly is still tight but a little bit softer than earlier, he did go to toilet minutes ago.

It will be really helpful if anyone could share more information about adhesions and obstruction.

JJH

Re: (Adhesions?) causing partial obstruction

Postby JJH » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm

Here is some information for you on Small Bowel Obstruction (SBO).

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52932&p=417613#p417613

Take care, and good luck!

beach sunrise

Postby beach sunrise » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm

Search here for adhesions and blockages. A very knowledgable lady, Vilica, has some great post on massage therapy you can do at home to get things moving and help with adhesions. There is another lady also but can't think who it is.
I read those posts and ingegrated them after surgery and it really helped.
8/19 RC CEA 82.6 T3N0M0
5FU/rad 6 wk
IVC 75g 1 1/2 wks before surgery. Continue 2x a week
Surg 1/20 -margins T4bN1a IIIC G2 MSI- 1/20 LN+ LVI+ PNI-
pre cea 24 post 5.9
FOLFOX
7 rds 6-10 CEA 11.4 No more
CEA
7/20 11.1 8.8
8/20 7.8
9/20 8.8, 9, 8.6
10/20 8.1
11/20 8s
12/20 8s-9s
ADAPT++++ chrono
CEA
10/23/22 26.x
12/23/22 22.x
1/5 17.1
1/20 15.9
3/30 14.9
6/12 13.3
8/1 2.1
Nodule RML SUV 1.3 5mm
Rolles 3 of 4 lung nodules cancer
KRAS
Chem-sens test failed Not enough ca cells to test

JJH

Postby JJH » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:42 pm

beach sunrise wrote:Search here for adhesions and blockages. A very knowledgable lady, Vilica, has some great post on massage therapy you can do at home to get things moving and help with adhesions. There is another lady also but can't think who it is.
I read those posts and ingegrated them after surgery and it really helped.

crybaby -

Some of the posts referred to by beachsunrise can be found here.

Good luck !

crybaby

Postby crybaby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:28 am

Thanks, Thanks these posts are really helpful. We have already started minimal fiber diet for dad now, will take things slow from now on. And current gastro have replaced Lactulose based laxative with Milk of Magnesia and Liquid paraffin one. I will tell my dad about the exercises mentioned in posts of MissMolly. And I think probiotic capsules are also helping dad with gas.

Though we still need to see new gastro who can confirm if it is adhesion. I really hope its not pelvic mets acting up which we radiated in April/May.

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pm

I had adhesions at the ileostomy reversal site. They gradually worsened over about a year until a blockage formed and it needed surgery to resolve. Since then, I've had no more problems for about ten years. If surgery is done, the surgeon should use Seprafilm between the small bowel and abdominal lining to reduce the chance of recurrence. It's standard procedure at most hospitals now, but not all.

The other thing to look at is whether certain foods are contributing. In my case, I found that conventional whole grains (wheat, corn, barley, even soy) were a big problem because glyphosate can be found in them at high levels. It's known to cause ileus. Try eating organic whole grains for a month to see if the problem goes away. If so, you have your answer.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”