Covid 19 vaccine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
roadrunner

Re: Covid 19 vaccine

Postby roadrunner » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:24 pm

In the US, the recent CDC guidelines, which may or may not be adopted by each state, place those with high-risk conditions such as cancer in the 3rd tranche (behind 1a: healthcare workers and nursing facility patients and staff, and 1b: 75+ and “essential workers”). Since “essential workers” are ahead of us (except for those of us over 75), and include many large, potentially amorphous, and hard-to-verify groups (CDC added some definition, but it was not particularly specific, and the states will likely interpret it differently, as will local providers), it may well be a long time before vaccines are available to us in many states on the basis of cancer history or even active disease — it could turn into a bit of a free-for-all, with state and local conditions, processes, connections, and resources determining availability in many cases.

Whether mere cancer history will carry 1c status is another question to be decided by the states I think. Again, like much of this decentralized process, it appears that will depend on your relationship with your doctor, the specific process used, the kid down at CVS, etc. News reports in some areas indicate that many people are seeking to purchase early access to the vaccine, and that will likely become a broader practice as this moves forward and groups with more fluid or vague borders get involved.

Finally, since immunocompromised persons were not included in the trials, there may be misinformation or misunderstandings regarding the availability of the vaccine to cancer patients who may have that status. Again, this should be discussed and considered with one’s doctors, and my impression is that the weight of authority regards at least the mRNA vaccines as safe for immunocompromised persons, with efficacy an open question. Killed adenovirus vector vaccines (J&J and AstraZeneca) should also be safe, but those haven’t yet been approved. Since cancer patients are so far back in the line, and since the group in Phase 1b is so large and potentially fluid, my guess is that most of us will end up getting those adenovirus vaccines. It’s worth note because they appear to be far less effective than the mRNA vaccines. Roughly, 95% vs. 70% (still not bad as vaccines go, though when you throw immunicompromise into the mix, I’d rather go with the 95%), but more data is necessary. This resulted from the fact that the current administration made a “bet” or hedge on the adenovirus vaccines — there was concern about the efficacy of the newer mRNA technology, so far more doses were purchased from the adenovirus manufacturers. I think the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines being given now will be long exhausted before most of us get them. But again, YMMV. Or rather, your mileage WILL vary.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

Cured

Postby Cured » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm

Guys, all good thoughts.
No-way will I take an experimental vaccine. The RNA creation by itself is scary enough.
Clearly they haven’t tested these on people with cancer. Much less patients undergoing treatment....nor all the different kinds of chemicals infused into us.

I’m already biased since I believe that the 13 valent Pneumonia vaccine is what woke-up sleeping tumors in me after 10 years of silence/full remission.
So I mostly isolate at home.
I wear a filtering N95 mask when I go out. (Which is mostly to see a Dr. or get a treatment.)

My adult son got COVID-19 this summer-mild case and recovered. Was just tested & still has antibodies. I’m trying to see if it’s possible to get Regeneron to make a custom plasma vaccine just for me. ‘Still don’t know if anything is safe, but have to be cautious as I have micro-tumors in my lungs.
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri
CEA 4.5 after 1 chemo
8rds CEA 3 1.8, 2.3,1.7 then up:32
12rd Folfiri
Avastin ev 2 wks
Seizure Anti-seiz meds work-no driving for 6m
4-20PET: Lng spots=Chemo
2-21 tumr gth =Folfiri
Radiation 7-22

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 am

Cured wrote:Guys, all good thoughts.
No-way will I take an experimental vaccine.

I’m trying to see if it’s possible to get Regeneron to make a custom plasma vaccine just for me.

Respectfully my friend :
did I just read what you wrote ?

The mRNA vaccines HAVE been tested and vetted even by Health Canada which is VERY conservative !

IMO I would not follow your current plan.
and I am NOT giving medical advice here, just my IMO
based upon >40 years of being a vet and >14 years being a CRC patient

I know polio survivors who would have given anything to have been vaccinated
I know many other survivors of infectious diseases who would rather have been vaccinated than contracting the disease :
smallpox, yellow fever, hepatitis, influenza, pneumococcal pneumonia, diptheria, tetanus,
and very sadly non-survivors of ... rabies.

I am not trying to convince you to get a vaccine you do not want, BUTT I do draw a distinction in your comment about :
" experimental vaccine " from very well defined and tested producers ...versus
you having a "custom plasma vaccine just for me" which I believe is a convalescent serum of protective antibodies
to help recovery AFTER you have been infected ???

Your choice is always your own .. BUTT
as a friend I do hope you will consider other options

I will be getting either the Pfizer or the Moderna, COVID vaccine as soon as I am able.

In Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:13 pm

I can simply say that while I am a little nervous (I have a history of severe allergic reactions to drugs), I am ready and willing to take it. My friend's daughter who is an ER nurse at Harborview (Seattle) and has seen so many patients come in with COVID....received her shot this week. My GP who has a big OB population received her shot last week and instructed me to make sure that I get mine ASAP. Since I am an educator, (unless WA state alters what the CDC has recommended), I will be in line after all of the healthcare and long term residents have been vaccinated. A recent headline in our local paper indicated that our state will begin to start vaccinating the long term residents next week. I am optimistic that the next group (of which I am a member) will be starting to vaccinate sometime next month. My youngest who is only 29 also works at a school will be given his shot as well. Right now, while most of our kiddos are still learning remotely, we are bringing back our SPED kiddos for in person learning. I have already been exposed and fortunately tested negative after one of the behavorially challenged kiddos tested positive. I have to be honest....it is scary sometimes when you are in the classroom around the kiddos and they sneeze or cough. My SPED kids wear their masks but when they have their snack, those masks are off and I am less than 6 ft from them. The students that I work with are all good kiddos and while they may not entirely understand what COVID is and how it affects people, their parents have instructed them to keep their masks on, wash their hands, etc. Unfortunately, those SPED students who have serious behavioral issues (some are in the buildings where I work) aren't at all as conscientious about all of their COVID protocol. Thankfully, I will get fitted on 1/4/21 for my N-95 mask that I am to wear when in the buildings.

I am hoping that my son and I will be able to get our vaccinations sometime in January (likely the end) and that my husband, as an over 65er, will follow sometime in February. That may all be a pipe dream but one can hope. My doctor has indicated that I MUST receive my vaccination in a medical setting.....to watch me for reactions. Other than that....I am fine with the vaccine. It may not be perfect but IMO, it's a heck of a lot better than what we are living with now. Life may NEVER go back to 'normal' but as cancer patients/survivors, we all know too well what the 'new normal' phrase means. I will gladly take a 'new normal' than continue missing out on my life with my grandbabies (number #2 is due early summer), my other children and my friends. It's just NOT NORMAL to isolate ourselves from one another and to practice all of this social distancing. I HATE IT and I suspect most others do as well.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Yesterday, Texas came out with the second phase of the vaccination distribution.

Who is eligible for the next phase of the COVID-19 vaccine in Texas?

Texas is currently in Phase 1A of its vaccine distribution. Only front-line health care workers and long-term care residents and staff are eligible to receive doses of the vaccine at this time.

Phase 1B will prioritize Texans who are 65 years and older and people who are at least 16 with a qualifying health condition that puts them at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19. According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, qualifying conditions include, but are not limited to:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathy
Solid organ transplantation
Obesity and severe obesity
Pregnancy
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes mellitus

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/12/23 ... ine-texas/

Hooray! I'm in this group, and plan on getting the vaccine as soon as possible. Not just because I want a professional hair cut, pedicure, or just to go out to lunch.
I've missed so much this past year including my own fathers funeral, which we postponed until it's safer.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and especially bro nut and sista nut Lee.
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 pm

peanut_8 wrote:Yesterday, Texas came out with the second phase of the vaccination distribution.

I wish there was some centralized site where you could look up when the phases were scheduled for your state and who's in them.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:18 pm

horizon wrote:
peanut_8 wrote:Yesterday, Texas came out with the second phase of the vaccination distribution.

I wish there was some centralized site where you could look up when the phases were scheduled for your state and who's in them.

I was able to find this, and checked out a couple of different states. Seems pretty comprehensive with lots of info.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 481199002/

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:51 pm

peanut_8 wrote:
horizon wrote:

I was able to find this, and checked out a couple of different states. Seems pretty comprehensive with lots of info.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 481199002/

Best Wishes,
peanut

That's a good start. Thank you!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:39 am

peanut_8 wrote:
Merr
I've missed so much this past year including my own fathers funeral, which we postponed until it's safer.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and especially bro nut and sista nut Lee.
peanut

Merry Christmas to you & your family. So sorry to hear about your dad. This virus has hit all of us in more ways than one. I will not be see seeing my kids or extending family tomorrow, thanks to this China virus. Time will tell, we are hoping for New Years Eve at this point. My daughter cried this evening as this will be a first for her without family for the holidays thanks to this virus and possible people she and her partner may have been expose to.

There is something wrong when family members need to get tested just to hang out for Christmas dinner. Sorry, BUTT, China not happy with you right now!!

Not trying to political, BUTT, China this current situation SUCKS big time!!

sista nut, Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

horizon

Postby horizon » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:25 am

Lee wrote:Merry Christmas to you & your family. So sorry to hear about your dad. This virus has hit all of us in more ways than one. I will not be see seeing my kids or extending family tomorrow, thanks to this China virus. Time will tell, we are hoping for New Years Eve at this point. My daughter cried this evening as this will be a first for her without family for the holidays thanks to this virus and possible people she and her partner may have been expose to.

There is something wrong when family members need to get tested just to hang out for Christmas dinner. Sorry, BUTT, China not happy with you right now!!

Not trying to political, BUTT, China this current situation SUCKS big time!!

sista nut, Lee

If you aren't trying to be political maybe don't use terminology that is offensive to many. I could tell you stories about my relatives that have had horrible things said to them this year in person by strangers because they look Asian.

Sincerely,
Someone of Chinese descent who is also missing holidays with family because of COVID-19.

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:44 am

In my view it is best to remain humble and cautious about assigning origins and blame for things like the COVID-19 pandemic. It is certainly worth keeping in mind that recent evidence shows that the virus was circulating in Italy in September of 2019, long before its initial discovery in China. (That, of course, does not suggest it originated in Italy, or that it did not originate in China, just that the origin remains uncertain at this point.) It is also worth remembering that the “Spanish Flu” of 1918 was detected in Spain — thus the name — but was later determined to have originated in Kansas. It should be noted that China and many of its Asian neighbors controlled the virus relatively quickly and effectively, resulting in infection and death rates far lower than those of Western countries. It can be extrapolated from that that the Asian countries — even with many travel restrictions in place around the world — “exported” far less virus than have Western countries over the course of the pandemic. Additionally, China and other Asian countries first showed how to effectively control the virus, saving lives and their economies, which helped other countries to adopt similar effective approaches (others did not, and suffered more serious consequences). Finally, it is important to remember that even being the country of origin of a contagious disease does not itself fix or imply blame; instead, diseases often arise through vectors independent of governmental or even direct human action. It’s possible that someday science will have a good idea of where COVID came from and how it infected humans, but even then there will likely be little or no reason to point fingers at a single country as a bad actor, and even then there will be more than enough blame to go around and lessons to be learned by all.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:46 pm

horizon wrote:
If you aren't trying to be political maybe don't use terminology that is offensive to many. I could tell you stories about my relatives that have had horrible things said to them this year in person by strangers because they look Asian.

Sincerely,
Someone of Chinese descent who is also missing holidays with family because of COVID-19.

I'm not upset with the people of China, rather the government of China. I'm pretty sure the people of China would not wish this virus on anybody, it's the government & how they handled it that I am upset with. Sorry if that was the confusion.

And it is wrong for members of your family to have to endure horrible things being said to them based on looks. Again, I don't believe the people of China would wish this on anybody.

I hope you & your family had a good day.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Cured

Postby Cured » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:46 pm

#1. It’s obvious that each person will form his/her own opinion and choice on using the vaccine.
This group has always been good for sharing information and a variety of experiences.

ORIGIN OF THE SARS COV-2: Nothing certain is publicly available. I read that two Level 4 Laboratories in the US were experimenting with the virus. Agencies typically try to be ahead of the next outbreak, so attempt to develop treatments beforehand. The story is that the US shared samples of the virus with the sophisticated Level 4 Lab in Wuhan China. Recall that Asia suffered from the earlier SARS virus, so they were anxious to have solutions to the next virus. Sadly, the virus escaped the lab. The Chinese government attempted to control the virus and appears to have limited it to Hubei province within China itself. The US was upset since the Wuhan lab did not adhere to Level 4 security protocols and let the virus escape. Further, they appear to have not let US officials know of the leak. (no comment on the WHO, as I’m trying not to be overtly political)
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri
CEA 4.5 after 1 chemo
8rds CEA 3 1.8, 2.3,1.7 then up:32
12rd Folfiri
Avastin ev 2 wks
Seizure Anti-seiz meds work-no driving for 6m
4-20PET: Lng spots=Chemo
2-21 tumr gth =Folfiri
Radiation 7-22

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Hey Everybody! Been so long that I entered the wrong username.
Shoutout to "the gang" (hope I'm part of that reference Lee :wink: ) I miss everybody too.

Personally, I have been ready to flush that 2020 toilet for some time now; fed up w/Fauci to be sure. I'll leave it @ that.
Lee, I knew what you meant about the China Virus because I know you. It's the CCP of China; never the people of China. I have a nephew that lives there & quite honestly I'm nervous about that considering the current international climate we're in w/China. Unfortunate that some real idiots would confuse the two & make derogatory comments to people due to their heritage.

Last year my BFF got the flu & shingles vaccine. Ended up w/peripheral neuropathy in one of her legs; foot up to mid-calf I believe. Mostly the numbness, tho has improved. She & hubby both cancer patients tho she is in remission & hubby stable. They will not be getting any more vaccines. So to Cured: I understand your suspicions & does warrant thoughtful consideration. I just don't think anything is 100% either way we go;' always going to be some degree of risk that applies to most things in life.

Peanut, I haven't been to the hairdresser since 1/28//20 & I don't miss it. Colored my own hair once & got spots of hair dye all over my bathroom carpet. Soooo I have my own white/brown hombre goin on & I am A-OK w/that. About time to do it again. Had my son cut my hair twice so far, which he really doesn't like doing, but I don't have a "style" per se to my hair. Clip it up all of the time anyway.
But mostly I want to send my condolences to you on the loss of your father. I was really sorry to read that. Hugs to YOU.

Best Wishes To All,

Bitchslapped (BS)
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:11 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Hey Everybody! Been so long that I entered the wrong username.
Shoutout to "the gang" (hope I'm part of that reference Lee :wink: ) I miss everybody too.

Personally, I have been ready to flush that 2020 toilet for some time now; fed up w/Fauci to be sure. I'll leave it @ that.
Lee, I knew what you meant about the China Virus because I know you. It's the CCP of China; never the people of China. I have a nephew that lives there & quite honestly I'm nervous about that considering the current international climate we're in w/China. Unfortunate that some real idiots would confuse the two & make derogatory comments to people due to their heritage.

Bitchslapped (BS)

Hey BS, good to see your post. Of course that shoutout included you. Hope the holidays were good to you. THANK YOU for your kind words.

In my early youth & being a military brat, the holidays were a time to include "strays", people who could not be with their families. Our house always included strays at the Christmas/Thanksgiving table, people I did not know, butt these people sure seem to know my dad. My husband in all our years of marriage, knew to invite strays to our house for Christmas dinner, & we've had many over the years. A few have since passed on. A good friend, many years ago, once said "family is sometimes who you make it to be". True words. For the past 15 plus years, good friends of ours, we all became one family, & many of those strays became our family. Not uncommon for 15+ people to sit down for a holiday dinner. This included adult mother/son neighbor, a Vietnam vet, after his wife passed away, etc. This year, our table only had 3 people, my husband & I, & the Vietnam vet. This virus took a couple of stray family members this past year, others we could not be with as they were recovering from the virus or our kids, as they may have been exposed. I too want to flush 2020 down the toilet, the sooner the better. This year is a bust, I hope 2021 is better.

I hope your nephew is okay, yes these are challenging times.

Good to see your post,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”