Post-surgery inflammation or new tumors?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hopie

Post-surgery inflammation or new tumors?

Postby hopie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

hello,
so my mom's last mri says:
"bladder's appearance is normal. at the bladder and left anterior junction, two neighboring solid, nodular, homogeneous lesions that appear as slightly hyperintense compared to muscle plans have been observed during T2 imaging".
comment part says: two solid nodular lesions that might be in line with implants at the bladder left anterior junction."

she's still scheduled for liver resection and this new surgeon seems to think they're inflammation but the former surgeon didn't do an "en bloc" resection so i'm freaking out

her surgery was 2,5 months ago--sigmoid resection and left ovary and tuba. ovary and tuba were highly fibrotic and pathology said "chronic salpingitis."

so, has anyone had anything like this?

also, would the pathology report say "no invasive carcinoma at proximal, distal, and meso" if that not-en-bloc- resection had cut through the tumor?

i was really happy that she'll get surgery but now i'm devastated. please share any insight!
Caregiver to my super-mom (62), diagnosed Dec 2018
Sigmoid colon, Stage IV
G3, Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma (5,5 x 4 x 1 cm)
T4N2bM1
13 positive out of 23 lymph nodes, largest one 1,8 cm
4(?) mets in liver, located at Segment 3 & 7, largest one 2 cm
LVI & PNI present
Clear surgical margins
MSS, KRAS G13D mutant
Laparoscopic anterior resection, Jan 2019

First chemo 11 Feb 2019 (Folfox). 25/2/19 Folfox + Avastin.

O Stoma Mia

Re: Post-surgery inflammation or new tumors?

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am

I don't think I have any good insights, but I have a question. Was the MRI report that you quote written originally in English, or is your quote a translation from a report written in your native language? If the extracts that you posted are a translation, there might be some ambiguity in the translation. For example, in your post you talk about "ovary and tuba" but in English this might translate to "ovary and Fallopian tube". Are you sure you have a good translation of the MRI report?

FYI, here is something on MRI scans of pelvic inflammation. I don't know if this is relevant or not, however.

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/pelvic-inflammatory-disease?lang=us

hopie

Re: Post-surgery inflammation or new tumors?

Postby hopie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am

Thank you so much for the link, checking it now.

It's in my native language but I'm not familiar with the jargon so I'm barely understanding it myself. I think my translation for the MRI report is accurate.

As for the surgery notes, it's called a "salpingo oophorectomy" if this makes more sense. Surgery reports say "tumor appeared to invade <tuba-uterina>."

I'm just hoping it's something from the surgery, like scar tissue...
Caregiver to my super-mom (62), diagnosed Dec 2018
Sigmoid colon, Stage IV
G3, Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma (5,5 x 4 x 1 cm)
T4N2bM1
13 positive out of 23 lymph nodes, largest one 1,8 cm
4(?) mets in liver, located at Segment 3 & 7, largest one 2 cm
LVI & PNI present
Clear surgical margins
MSS, KRAS G13D mutant
Laparoscopic anterior resection, Jan 2019

First chemo 11 Feb 2019 (Folfox). 25/2/19 Folfox + Avastin.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”