Lower Anterior Resection Syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rea11y

Lower Anterior Resection Syndrome

Postby rea11y » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 am

diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 08, started treatment in late 08 chemo (24/7 ) radiation followed by surgery in 09. After months of recuperation LARS started 10/12 washroom visits per day. some visits lasting over 1 hour . Unable to work due to the multiple washroom visits

ozziej

Re: Lower Anterior Resection Syndrome

Postby ozziej » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:20 am

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. LARS sucks. Did you know that there is a Facebook group called Living with Low Anterior Resection Syndrome? If you're not a member already, you will be made most welcome and find lots of support and information. Best wishes.
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 am

ozziej wrote:Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. LARS sucks. Did you know that there is a Facebook group called Living with Low Anterior Resection Syndrome? If you're not a member already, you will be made most welcome and find lots of support and information. Best wishes.

Living with Low Anterior Resection Syndrome
https://m.facebook.com/groups/786555674854989/

https://livingwithlars.com/
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleda
Facebook Username: adele Morgan

Postby Eleda » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

I'm expecting to suffer same
as I have had a ULAR and being reversed on Thursday, I'm not on Facebook OSM but would appreciate any tips in regards to anything helpful, pictullarly foods !!!! THAT HELPED OR AGRIVATED???!
I am the type of person that predicts worst case scenario, then anything less is a bonus :D
Thanks Adele X
SWF, 47
Mom to 3 sons 6/8/12
Dec4th 2017 colonoscopy for minor intermittent rectal bleeding during Summer
CEA 4.4
DX T3 L3C M0 2.5/3 cm above AV.
JAN 3RD started 1650mg Zelda 2xday, with 28 radiation
Did tagamet 800mg daily and 75mg IV VIT C WEEKLY UNTIL SURGERY and
Tumor reduce by 80% 1 LN still remaining
TATME May10th, temp illeostomy
10/07/2018 CEA 3
MMR INTACT
Began FOLFOX July 10th
24/08/2018 Allergic reaction so next infusion lucovorin and 5fu
CEA 4
Second attempt with oxi aug 12th

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Eleda wrote:I'm expecting to suffer same as I have had a ULAR and being reversed on Thursday, I'm not on Facebook OSM but would appreciate any tips in regards to anything helpful, pictullarly foods !!!! THAT HELPED OR AGRIVATED???!
I am the type of person that predicts worst case scenario, then anything less is a bonus :D
Thanks Adele X

It's good that you are focusing of foods, because, in my opinion, proper food selection is the key to eventually gaining control over your bowel function.

What I would suggest is that you start off by keeping a detailed Food/Exercise/Toilet log so that you can determine how your body reacts to various foods and beverages, and so that you can then determine which combinations of food and beverages will trigger urgent bowel problems.

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50454&p=387056#p387056

Every patient is different, so you need to concentrate on what works for you.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:26 pm

rea11y wrote:After months of recuperation LARS started

I think a lot of us just needed to research and keep trying some things which could work for us !

Here's a bit of light reading to get you started :

MDA bowel training program

Bowel symptoms and self-care strategies of survivors in the process of restoration after low anterior resection of rectal cancer

Google search = LAR syndrome treatment

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

ozziej

Postby ozziej » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Eleda wrote:I'm expecting to suffer same
as I have had a ULAR and being reversed on Thursday, I'm not on Facebook OSM but would appreciate any tips in regards to anything helpful, pictullarly foods !!!! THAT HELPED OR AGRIVATED???!
Thanks Adele X

Hi Adele,
I also had a ULAR. I went on to develop major LARS (but you may not, or you may have a milder form). Although everyone is different, here are some tips that are drawn from a group of 900 people with LARS.
Make sure you have a good supply of calmoseptine cream and alcohol free wipes to keep your bottom from getting sore. A bidet is also helpful. Do your pelvic floor exercises as this will help with control.
It's normal to cluster (repeated urges to defaecate but only producing tiny amounts of stool). Resisting every urge helps. Incontinence pads and diapers give confidence to resist.
It's normal not to be able to tell gas from stool in the early stages. Ditto pads/diapers.
You may find beginning with a low residue diet (Google) helps. It's hard to list particular foods be because what is okay for me might be a disaster for you and vice versa. Introduce one new food at a time.
Immodiun and bulking agents such as metamucil can help loose stool.
It's normal to flip from loose stool to what seems like constipation (though often the stool is not hard and dry but sticky or pasty and hard to push out. Stool softeners can help.
Keeping meals small and simple will help you work out what suits you. Having an earlier evening meal may help avoid all-nighters on the loo.
Be sure to keep well-hydrated.
If your symptoms persist, you may have LARS. There is no one 'treatment' for LARS, there are management techniques for individual symptoms. Talk with your doctor (although you may have to educate him/her about LARS). If you do develop LARS i would encourage you to join the Facebook group. I wasn't 'on Facebook' either (still not really) but I made an exception for this one group. It really helps to have others who have experienced your issues.
Lastly, try to retain a sense of humour. You will have good days and bad days, but eventually the good will outweigh the bad. It's a marathon not a sprint. Best wishes.
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

scohow66

Postby scohow66 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 pm

You may want to consider daily enema...lots of info on the site here. I started about about a year after takedown surgery and has really improved quality of life. Not a cure, but keeps symptoms at bay if you keep up with it.

Best.
52 Year old male
Dx with RC 10/2016 (T2N0M0)
Port implanted 11/2016
Rad with 5FU December 2016-January 2016
LAR robotic with temp loop ileo 4/2016
ypT0N0M0 - cPR to chemo/rad
Ileostomy reversal 10/2017
LARS

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Im at least 2 yrs out from my ULAR. To start with its very hard, especially the first couple of days. I thought i was in hell. Its a slow process, but as time goes by it actually gets better. I still have some frequent visits to the loo, but this is achievable. However its a long process to get back to a sort of normality.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Eleda
Facebook Username: adele Morgan

Postby Eleda » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:46 am

Thanks guys , plenty big helpful reading there for me
Much appreciated,
I've run into slightly complication after surgery and developed "what I concider large fistula" so waiting on a scan now to asses damage limitations,,,
My god those run's come out..... quick lol......
And packing the stoma site is really pretty bloody sore too,,,
Feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning lol
Sick if shitting already lol,,,
The up side is I should have the body of a Victoria secret model by the time I'm finished,
Thanks Adele X
SWF, 47
Mom to 3 sons 6/8/12
Dec4th 2017 colonoscopy for minor intermittent rectal bleeding during Summer
CEA 4.4
DX T3 L3C M0 2.5/3 cm above AV.
JAN 3RD started 1650mg Zelda 2xday, with 28 radiation
Did tagamet 800mg daily and 75mg IV VIT C WEEKLY UNTIL SURGERY and
Tumor reduce by 80% 1 LN still remaining
TATME May10th, temp illeostomy
10/07/2018 CEA 3
MMR INTACT