Ct Scan

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
very worried husband

Ct Scan

Postby very worried husband » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm

... its me again; the crazy man :mrgreen:
So my wife had a CT this morning for the two lung nodules we are watching since Aug.
She was not given any CT prep drink and she was not injected with the dye. It was just plain CT. Has any one experience this kind of CT scan before? This looked a bit different CT as they were asking her to hold her breath and then release.
what worries me is that she had blood work two days before and the nurse who called said these test should be done prior to the CT. Not sure why was it like this. I asked the CT scan helper guy and he checked his instruction list and it said '' CT WO Contrast'' which i suppose was CT without contrast. Does that not mean she needed to have the CT prep drink? so confusing
Caregiver to Wife age25
Diagnosed Colon IIIB Jan2011
7/29 Nodes +
5FU+Oxi in china. Feb-Aug 2011
CEA@Diagnose:0.79
Immunological chemistry: Ki-67 (+), MSH2(+), MLH1(++), ERCC1 (-)
NED Supplements: Aspirin,Vit D,Calcium, Genoderma Lucidium
Baby born June 2015 :D :D :)

Bob in Watson

Re: Ct Scan

Postby Bob in Watson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm

I have CTs for lung nodules without the oral prep. The oral prep is for the GI tract. Holding the breath is standard procedure for chest CT s, i believe. I am instructed to hold mine every time. I do get the iv, though.

Bob

KWT

Postby KWT » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 pm

I just get the IV contrast.

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I have just IV contrast when they are focused just on the nodules in my lungs. They go ahead and look at the abdomen and pelvis, but when they want a really good look there, then oral contrast and IV contrast are ordered.
When I am on chemo, or if I have not had blood work in a while, the techs want to see blood work before giving me IV contrast. I don't remember exactly which numbers they are looking at, but I remember it's to check for proper kidney function in advance of the IV contrast, because the contrast is particularly hard on the kidneys. That's why they always remind you to drink extra water when you are done to flush the contrast out of your system.
The "hold your breath . . . now breathe" bit is needed to get a good look at the lungs.
When her onc goes over the scan report with her, he should be reminded that it was done without any contrast. Then he can decide how soon he wants to follow up again.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:40 pm

The IV contrast is for guts, not lungs. The bloodwork done prior to the CT is to give the radiologist a heads-up. Locally they won't do a CT without a current CEA. Everything was done correctly.

Holding her breath is like when you take a picture and tell people to not move. You don't want a blurred photo, right? :-)
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

very worried husband

Postby very worried husband » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Ok. so if i am getting it right. There are three kinds of CT's. 1st oral contrast, 2nd IV contrast and the 3rd Without contrast. I was/am worried as i thought they made a mistake in CT and she will need to Redo it. She had a CT of abdomen with oral contrast on Aug 13 and it showed a lung 6mm nodule in her lower left lung. she had another one on 29th Aug with IV contrast which showed 2 nodules 6mm and 7mm. This one was to determine if there is any growth.
Caregiver to Wife age25
7/29 Nodes +

very worried husband

Postby very worried husband » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm

And she was also told to fast for 4 hours...
Caregiver to Wife age25
7/29 Nodes +

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Hopefully this can clarify a few misconceptions and address some concerns in this discussion, quoted from HERE
Some people have allergies to IV contrast and may need to take medications before their test in order to safely receive this substance.

Contrast can be given several ways, and depends on the type of CT being performed.

It may be delivered through a vein (IV) in your hand or forearm.
It may be given through the rectum using an enema.
You might drink the contrast before your scan. When you actually drink the contrast depends on the type of exam being done. The contrast liquid may taste chalky, although some are flavored to make it taste a little better. The contrast eventually passes out of your body through your stools.
If contrast is used, you may also be asked not to eat or drink anything for 4-6 hours before the test.

I've had oral contrast + IV contrast CTs, IV contrast only CTs and non-contrast CTs.
IV contrast is used for abdominal and thoracic CTs.
Oral contrast is used for abdominal CTs ( unless evaluation of the thoracic esophagus is indicated. )
Radiologists like contrast ..... BUTT some patients cannot handle contrast so even if it is a thoracic CT ..... the CT can still be done WITHOUT contrast.
The blood test required prior to a CT scan should be for renal function (BUN-creatinine-eGFR), as the contrast can be hard on the kidneys and some patients are better off without it. It has nothing to do with CEA levels.

Sometimes, patients will be offered the use of acetylcysteine as a medication to limit or prevent renal problems from the IV contrast. Depending upon your own blood results, it would be best to talk to your Onc or GP if it is safe for you ... radiologists, as I said just want the contrast to be used to get the most consistent imaging.

Yes, BTDT.
Yes, battled Radiologists.
Yes, have had a few CTs without any contrast.
Fasting is generally good advice prior to imaging, for a lot of reasons.

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

very worried husband

Postby very worried husband » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for such a clear expatiation. I jump into conclusion very quickly about my wife's health and in the process worry myself to death... On the other side wife was so happy as she had no injection. :cry:
Caregiver to Wife age25
7/29 Nodes +

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 pm

very worried husband wrote:On the other side wife was so happy as she had no injection. :cry:

Gotta take the wins where we find them !

Cheers.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

very worried husband

Postby very worried husband » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:08 pm

SO true CRguy. Luckily my wife knows how to live life. my anxiety is always on 10,000 using scale 1-10,000. Her number is 0... :mrgreen:
I brought up this morning that she needs to drink more water as i think her kidneys tests may be not good. and she replied don't think too much and her kidneys are PERFECT... :mrgreen:
Caregiver to Wife age25
7/29 Nodes +

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”