September Exercise & Weight Loss Thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

September Exercise & Weight Loss Thread

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 am

Funny, I'm usually trying to gain weight, or at least not lose any. It's working pretty well. Tomorrow I get my 15th (I think) round of Erbitux/Irinotecan, and I'm hanging in there between 160 and 165. When I get down to 155, I start to get nervous.

Anyway, part of the problem is that I like to exercise and don't always eat enough to make up for what I shed. Came home from my woodcutting vacation about 7 pounds light, and that was with my mom feeding me every chance she got.

Rode 37 hilly miles on Saturday, split firewood all day yesterday and today, if the weather cooperates, I'm looking at another 50 hilly miles on the bike. I always try to hit it hard the day before chemo. Seems to make things go a lot easier.

So, after today I'll be within 250 miles of my 10K post-dx mileage goal. With most of the wood cut and the garden pretty much done, it's time to reel that baby in.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Re: September Exercise & Weight Loss Thread

Postby KWT » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 am

It seems like cycling burns a lot of calories for sure. I've been Hiking and rock climbing mostly luckily I'm minutes away from both.

Eric, Have you ever heard of the death ride in Alpine county? that's where I live

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:35 am

kennyt wrote:Eric, Have you ever heard of the death ride in Alpine county? that's where I live

No, but there's an endurance race through Death Valley called the Furnace Creek 509. The number refers to the mileage. I think they give you 48 hours to do it. It's insane.

Looks like my daughter is moving out to San Fran this fall, so I suspect I'll be doing some riding out there with her at some point. One more thing to live for.

Hiking and climbing is really good exercise, and that's some beautiful country you're lucky enough to live in, Kenny. I took a couple-hour woods "hike" the other day and got pretty pooped out. Different muscle sets and all that.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am

Eric, check it out, definitely if your in san Francisco.

http://deathride.com/

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:59 am

Wow that is great exercise,

I have not taken myself further than walking 4mph for an hour or so, about 4-5 days a week. But I would like to and am looking ahead to when the temperature starts to drop and suppose I will spend more time in the gym at that point. I didnt want to get into lifting weights quickly because I wanted to give my chest some time to heal.

In terms of nutrition, I could be eating more. However I am putting a lid on carbs, at least no soft drinks, sweets, refined flour, rice, white potato, etc. Sometimes that leaves me in a quandry as to what I can go grab for lunch.

Wasn't there a study a year or so ago stating that a certain amount of exercise cuts recurrences down by 50%? I need to get up to that level.

Traveler001
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 am

Traveler001 wrote:Wasn't there a study a year or so ago stating that a certain amount of exercise cuts recurrences down by 50%? I need to get up to that level.

I don't know the exact numbers, Trav, but you're at or above the necessary level with the walking you're doing. You can google it--ironically, your exercise is measured in METS.

Here's a thread discussing it all:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37799

When I get surgery, I walk, and walk, and walk until I'm strong enough to get back on the bike. It's amazing how much progress you can make with a little effort. I also believe that a complementary diet is essential. Can't run the machine without the right fuel.
Eric, 58

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:48 am

Well, for once losing weight isn't a goal this month; I'll be trying not to lose too much. As for exercise, the pain I've had is exacerbated by walking, so I've been swimming, but that will be out as soon as the oxi hits me next week. Then I guess I'll try an elliptical and see if that doesn't flare the pain (which I'm hoping chemo will alleviate anyway).

Eric and Traveler, you are awesome! Well, I mean you are awesomely inspiring, but I suspect you are really awesome, too...

raym

Postby raym » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:08 am

With a few vacations and things heating up at work (alway when I try to get away!) AND just started playing keyboards in a local band my exercise time has suffered. I went 2 weeks ago to the YMCA and did a session with a personal trainer, she put me through the wringer with weights..ugh!. After we return from vacation this week I plan to resume hitting up the YMCA and/or gym at work. There is a new session of Livestrong for cancer survivors at the Y starting and I may join in when I can (already went through a 12 week session a few months ago). Additionally I've been dealing with proctitis (or something down there) and have been sore and not really keen on working out. Hopefully symptoms will subside.

Funny story with the trainer at the Y (female). (this is an auto-correct funny) I had IM'd her on facebook to ask about a boot camp class she was teaching. I said thank you you are always helpful...but mean as a trainer. She replied "I love touching you..." then "no no no...torturing you!!..damn autocorrect"
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm I on this thread this month. I was lucky to gain 25 unwanted pounds while on chemo. I could have used a 25 pound loss. I have always carried extra weight, but have generally eaten well and exercised. Since finishing up chemo I have been eating clean, excersising most days, which includes either the gym where I do cardio, weight and swimming, or walking around. To be honest I have no idea if I have lost or gained any additional weight. Ive just been focusing on how I feel and getting my self stronger. I will be weighed at my next oncology appointment in Wednesday, and I'll go from there. My GP and oncologist said that the weight gain and difficulty losing the weight is a result of the steroids from the chemo and the metabolic changes that can come with chemo. Apparently it can take months for the steroids to get out of your system. Anyone else having this problem?
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi All

I talked to my onc about the exercise thing and his words were pretty much "good news, and it will be great for your primary, but it is doubtful that it will do much for your secondary". I figure that exercise is a personal thing and that I'll do it for the benefit for the primary, and let the oncs and docs do what they can with secondaries.

I dropped EVIL Oxaliplatin on round # 11 of Folfox (last week) and just have 1 more round to go next week before a chemo break. After the trip to the ER with the blockage I have not been running and most of that has been due to extreme pins and needles in my feet when I run. It feels like I am running on dull broken glass so I am not overally keen on running :evil: as it hurts a bit. Hope that will improve soon but the neuropathy is getting worse at the moment. After my bockage where I got down to 128 lbs I am back to 133 lbs and I'd love to say that it is all muscle....some to honest but I guess the rest is water now that I am not dehydrated

I just do Yoga at home, push ups, sit ups, squats etc and try to keep myself active at home. Got a pool at the complext that I live in and the weather is warmer so I'll try to go for a swim this weekend.

Love the thread BB, thanks for posting and love to see you clock up 10,000 miles.

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

juliej

Postby juliej » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:48 pm

BrownBagger wrote:Anyway, part of the problem is that I like to exercise and don't always eat enough to make up for what I shed.

BB, I'm the same way. I'm good about fueling up at breakfast but then I get involved in an activity and forget all about eating. I drink gallons of water/sports drinks - I just don't want to stop and eat.

BrownBagger wrote:So, after today I'll be within 250 miles of my 10K post-dx mileage goal.

Awesome! :D :D :D

kiwiinoz wrote:After the trip to the ER with the blockage I have not been running and most of that has been due to extreme pins and needles in my feet when I run. It feels like I am running on dull broken glass so I am not overally keen on running :evil: as it hurts a bit. Hope that will improve soon but the neuropathy is getting worse at the moment.

Kiwi, I know how you feel. The neuropathy made me feel like I was walking on sharp gravel all the time. Between oxaliplatin and hand-foot syndrome (I was on Xeloda too), my feet were a mess. I bought running shoes that were a half-size too big and made sure they had heavily cushioned soles. Then I wrapped each toe in stretch gauze and added one big stripe around the ball of my foot. The "cocooning" method worked for awhile but eventually the pain got to be too much. I was just too damn stubborn to give up the thing I loved (running) so my feet and I compromised on short runs until I was off chemo.

kiwiinoz wrote:I dropped EVIL Oxaliplatin on round # 11 of Folfox (last week) and just have 1 more round to go next week before a chemo break.

I'm glad to hear you get a break! Things will be so much better now that you're off oxaliplatin. After I stopped oxi, it took months for my neuropathy to lessen but in just a few days I could taste things again and I had a lot more energy. Baby your feet so you're ready for some fun on your break!

I have been running a lot lately - usually five miles a day during the work week. This weekend I did two 14 mile runs. It was hot as hell and I was drenched with sweat so I made an impromptu decision to go for a swim in a small lake that is close to the running trail. I stripped down to my underwear and was promptly bitten on the rump by mosquitoes, six times. I could see the welts forming under my panties. I am convinced I have the itchiest bottom on the entire west coast. I hope someone soon relives me of this honorary title.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Julie,
You are as tough as nails mate. Running all the way through FOLFOX makes me feel like a big sissy. However you have given the kick up the butt I needed to lace my shoes and I have a small run planned.
I will try to avoid any lakes, as I am not wanting to get any mosquito bites on my bum. The only lakes near me are in a big public park and I would need to swim in front of everyone and I would scream like a big girl as they are all dirty and filled with eels. I like to eat eel and not swim with them :lol:

I'll do a short run which would be 3 miles or so but given lack of running it may be less tomorrow.

What do you eat to keep your energy levels going given that you run so much? I don't eat red meet, don't really eat any protein apart from legumes, tofu, chicken about 1 x per month and fish about 3 times a week. I get all my carbs from wholemeal bread or pasta and I have been making and drying my own pasta so I don't need to make it so much. However I find that too much carb bloats me and gives me a lot of gas.

Thanks for the inspiration Julie.

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:52 am

kennyt wrote:....Have you ever heard of the death ride in Alpine county? that's where I live

Hi Kenny - According to your new signature, you are 'soon to be in Oregon'. What about the Alpine County mountain-bike race next July that you mentioned? Are you planning to be there in California, or are you going to be doing something else in Oregon?

Alpine County bike race

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I think I'll be up in Oregon but who knows. I love Alpine county but were moving up to Oregon to be closer to family.

juliej

Postby juliej » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:45 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:What do you eat to keep your energy levels going given that you run so much? I don't eat red meet, don't really eat any protein apart from legumes, tofu, chicken about 1 x per month and fish about 3 times a week. I get all my carbs from wholemeal bread or pasta and I have been making and drying my own pasta so I don't need to make it so much. However I find that too much carb bloats me and gives me a lot of gas.

Kiwi, I don't eat red meat either and my main sources of protein are tofu, legumes, salmon, and occasionally chicken. I also have an organic whey protein drink every day. It has 21 grams of protein in it, which gets my engine roaring. I've never eaten an eel. :shock: What do you do with them?

Last night there was a new sign posted on a tree by my running trail. It warned that a cougar (mountain lion) had been spotted on the trail a few days ago. A cougar is capable of killing a 270 kg (600 lb) moose, and I'm a lot smaller than that so there was a 'gulp' moment before I started out. At the end of the summer the one-year old cougars become independent of their mothers and roam around in search of unoccupied territory. This is when they are most likely to conflict with humans. I didn't see one on my run, but I did see a beautiful female deer and her fawn. Hopefully, neither one of them ended up as cougar chow that night. :D
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”