Tomorrow I go in for my ileostomy reversal

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
O Stoma Mia

Re: Tomorrow I go in for my ileostomy reversal

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 am

Mark, According to the calendar, it looks like you're now approaching the 1-month anniversary of your reversal. You did a lot of work and physical exercise in advance of your reversal, and I was wondering what your assessment is now of your first month's progress.

Did the month go more-or-less as you had expected, or were you presented with some surprises?

Do you have any suggestions for others who will be dealing with reversal operations in the near future? For example, did you find that the Kegel exercises did any good? Do you have any specific insights to offer?

(By the way, your profile signature says that your reversal took place on July 13. Is that correct?)

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 am

Mark, I also hope you are doing well with your reversal! I realize I am right at 2.5 months out now and I would say that while it could definitely be better, it could sure be worse. I am back to work tomorrow!

Best,
Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:01 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:Mark, According to the calendar, it looks like you're now approaching the 1-month anniversary of your reversal. You did a lot of work and physical exercise in advance of your reversal, and I was wondering what your assessment is now of your first month's progress.

Did the month go more-or-less as you had expected, or were you presented with some surprises?

Do you have any suggestions for others who will be dealing with reversal operations in the near future? For example, did you find that the Kegel exercises did any good? Do you have any specific insights to offer?

(By the way, your profile signature says that your reversal took place on July 13. Is that correct?)

Hello o stoma mia , BTW love your name . My reversal surgery was july 17th and I spent 6 days in the hospital recovering .
I couldn`t be more pleased with the progress I`m making . I credit the daily exercise i did when I had the bag and now for a easier recovery . The kegels definitely helped me .
The 1st two weeks were a little rough , I was pooping so much that my hemorrhoids flared up . I got my frequency down and my butt is healed up. I used the calmosepetine and unscented wipes starting with the first time i pooped in the hospital and they helped I`m taking metamucil and have formed stools now. I`ve had mexican food and pizza in the last couple days with no adverse effects . I was stage 1 with no chemo and no radiation so maybe that made my recovery easier too .
I`d say the number 1 thing is daily exercise , Ive been walk / running and doing some light lifting as soon as I could . I`m a vegeterian since 2002 so I eat pretty good too . All in all things are going good .
Mark
52 M
Colonscopy 2/13, DX stage 1 rectal cancer
open LAR 3/13 12in. colon / rectum removed
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 am

Rockovage wrote:
O Stoma Mia wrote:Mark, According to the calendar, it looks like you're now approaching the 1-month anniversary of your reversal. You did a lot of work and physical exercise in advance of your reversal, and I was wondering what your assessment is now of your first month's progress.

Hello o stoma mia , BTW love your name . My reversal surgery was july 17th and I spent 6 days in the hospital recovering .
I couldn`t be more pleased with the progress I`m making . I credit the daily exercise i did when I had the bag and now for a easier recovery . The kegels definitely helped me .
The 1st two weeks were a little rough , I was pooping so much that my hemorrhoids flared up . I got my frequency down and my butt is healed up. I used the calmosepetine and unscented wipes starting with the first time i pooped in the hospital and they helped I`m taking metamucil and have formed stools now. I`ve had mexican food and pizza in the last couple days with no adverse effects . I was stage 1 with no chemo and no radiation so maybe that made my recovery easier too .
I`d say the number 1 thing is daily exercise , Ive been walk / running and doing some light lifting as soon as I could . I`m a vegeterian since 2002 so I eat pretty good too . All in all things are going good .
Mark

Somehow I didn't think you would go long before trying Mexican food, Mark. Mia, it just takes some time after surgery. Most people are very pleased to get rid of " o stoma " :roll:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 am

jean60 wrote:Mark, I also hope you are doing well with your reversal! I realize I am right at 2.5 months out now and I would say that while it could definitely be better, it could sure be worse. I am back to work tomorrow!

Best,
Jean

Hello jean , glad things are going relatively well for you . Good luck going back to work , I plan on going back to work in september .

Good luck going forward !! :D :D

Mark
52 M
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 am

justin case wrote:
Rockovage wrote:

Mark

Somehow I didn't think you would go long before trying Mexican food, Mark. Mia, it just takes some time after surgery. Most people are very pleased to get rid of " o stoma " :roll:
Regards,
Michael

Yeah , I couldn`t take any more of the BRAT diet , had to roll the dice :mrgreen:
Mark
52 M
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

-Sophie-

Postby -Sophie- » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 pm

That was a helpful read. I am not yet 3 weeks out from my reversal. I am getting lots of clustering with the urge to go but nothing productive, glad it looks like it could be normal.

The relief from the bag is amazing. I love having a shower with out having to think about it any more.
29 yo f w daughters 5 & 2
Dx nov 2012- 3c (T4N2M0)
Chemo/rad Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
16 march 2013 LAR + rad hyst, temp ileostomy
Patho no viable cancer found, 0/10 lymph nodes
April - June 2013 Chemo 5fu, 4 rounds
July 31st 2013 reversal and port removal

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 am

Glad to hear you're doing well, Mark. I think you're spot on with the exercise theory. Keep it up--it will help in so many ways, moving forward.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:43 am

Rockovage wrote:I`m not sure if I`m a good barometer because I didn`t have any radiation or chemo but my reversal is going great so far . I`m about 7 weeks post surgery and eating anything I want . I have some minor clustering and I`m a little constipated but no big deal . The first 3 weeks were a little rough but I `ve been improving steadily . My rectal tumor was 8 cm. from the anal verge so it was pretty low and no problem hooking me up . I tolerated the bag for 4 months but I was so glad to get rid of it .
Good luck !
Mark

Hi Mark - Is this (above) your 2-month post-reversal report (reversal done around July 17th?)? How are things going now, after two full months without the bag?

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:02 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:
Rockovage wrote:I`m not sure if I`m a good barometer because I didn`t have any radiation or chemo but my reversal is going great so far . I`m about 7 weeks post surgery and eating anything I want . I have some minor clustering and I`m a little constipated but no big deal . The first 3 weeks were a little rough but I `ve been improving steadily . My rectal tumor was 8 cm. from the anal verge so it was pretty low and no problem hooking me up . I tolerated the bag for 4 months but I was so glad to get rid of it .
Good luck !
Mark

Hi Mark - Is this (above) your 2-month post-reversal report (reversal done around July 17th?)? How are things going now, after two full months without the bag?

Everything is going great . I thought it was going to be a lot worse after reading all the reversal horror stories on the net . I can eat anything I want and go anywhere with no worries . I `m a vegetarian , exercise everyday and drink a lot of water so maybe that helped too . I `m ready to get on with my life and quit thinking about cancer all the time . Follow up for stage 1 is no scans or cea tests I just have to have a colonoscopy in march .
Mark
52 M
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”