Loose stools

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
survivor12
Facebook Username: Jonelle Ramsey

Loose stools

Postby survivor12 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 pm

I can eat something and within MINUTES I have diarrhea.
How can food travel that fast? How can I slow down my stomach to act normal?
Thank you

Peregrine

Re: Loose stools

Postby Peregrine » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:46 am

Hi survivor12 -

Welcome back to the Forum. It has been a long, long time since you last posted a message here -- over 13 years, in fact. This is your third post since you were diagnosed and treated back in year 2000.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having bowel problems again. For rectal cancer patients who have had surgery, pelvic radiation and chemo, this is always a continuing problem.

It seems to me, however, that this most recent occurrence of loose stool might be due to an infection originating from contaminated food, unsanitary food preparation, or handling of finger-food without first washing your hands. Have you checked with your doctor about a possible gastric infection? Have you had a stool test for possible bacteria such as e coli or listeria? Is your diarrhoea especially smelly, more than usual? Do you have an elevated temperature (fever)? If so, maybe you need to see a doctor for an antibiotic prescription.

If not, you can try some kind of do-it-yourself (DIY) diarrhea treatment:

Bowel Management -- Diarrhea
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Diarrhea_docx_pe.pdf

In 2012, survivor12 (post#2) wrote:Thank you for your quick response. I don't feel quite so alone in this struggle now.
I was diagnosed in 2000 and did the chemo and radiation to shrink the tumor, then surgery in June 2000 and an illi for a horrifying 5 weeks of pain and torture as the aparatus didn't adhere to my flabby belly fat. Ugh!
This latest issue of my ER hospital stay and subsequent CT scan proved nothing as far as I'm concerned. They admitted me for a day, and then sent me home saying that there were some small "loops" which apparently were the culprit.
And when you said your gut felt like it had been through a wringer washing machine I chuckled, because that nailed it exactly!

Do you ever feel like you are a time bomb just waiting for the next time? I can't ever seem to relax and enjoy life because I am waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop.
Sounds childish and whiney doesn't it?
I am so blessed, but when I'm scared I can't remember that. Grrrrrr.

Thanks again for your warm and encouraging welcome. I needed that. I will try to pay it forward whenever I can.

In 2012, survivor12 (post#1) wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a newbie, but I'm really an oldie.
I was diagnosed [in 2000] with rectal cancer and had subsequent chemo, radiation, surgery, illi, reversal, and ended up with staph infection.
Now for the good news...I'm still here. PTL!!!
I found this site quite by accident, and in one afternoon I had more questions answered by you from reading your messages, than in all the years I've tried to wing this alone. Thank you for your candor.
I am dealing with an anal fissure that is considered "chronic" as my radiation for the tumor was in such close proximity to the anus. However, now I am having less control over movements than before. Sometimes I am just standing in the kitchen working, and wham, I have a movement! No forewarning. Very embarrassing...I have little control, I'm a controlling person...Yikes.
This Easter evening I had a pain in my gut that was intolerable so ended up in ER and they admitted me to hospital. Did x rays and CT scan and could find nothing wrong with colon.
Has anyone out there ever experienced this? They sent me home with no new info. Please let me know if you have ever been in this situation.
Thank you for any help or advice you may give.

Siti

Postby Siti » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:43 am

survivor12 wrote:I can eat something and within MINUTES I have diarrhea.
Thank you

I think eating triggers the entire GI track. It’s the same with my husband and it seems like a permanent problem. He takes Imodium at the beginning of the day if he has a busy day without easy access to the restroom.
DH (54) DX on 5/7/19
Sigmoid|G3|LN:30/31|MSS|WT KRAS, NRAS, BRAF
7/19 PET distant LN para-aorta neck hip (0.5-1.5cm)
7/19 Lap resection
26/8 to 20/12/19 CAPEOX+Bev 7x
6/11/19 CT 3 cycle LN shrunk
1/20 Cap+Bev
4/20 TS-1+Bev due to bad HFS
NED 4 years
8/23 PET recurrence chest LN growing since Feb. CEA May(4.5>5.1>5.9)
9/23 Stopped Bev, CEA Sept(8.7) Radio 17x
11/23 PET 1+ supraclavicular LN, CEA (3.4>2.5)
12/23 Lymphadenectomy
1/24 Narrow margins, 1/5 +LN, 1.4cm +tissue, TMB (19)

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:59 am

Siti wrote:
survivor12 wrote:I can eat something and within MINUTES I have diarrhea.
Thank you

I think eating triggers the entire GI track

Correct, known as the gastrocolic reflex. It’s not the same food you’ve eaten coming out - your digestion is moving to make room.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm

survivor12
Facebook Username: Jonelle Ramsey

Postby survivor12 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:55 pm

Thank you for responses to my loose stools.
I have stopped drinking cokes soda.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”