CT scan - any value?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dannynabsh

CT scan - any value?

Postby dannynabsh » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:19 pm

Hi,

I know this does not substitute medical advice. I am waiting on my colonoscopy which is more than a month away.
Meanwhile, I am suffering from bloating, constipation, nausea, abdominal pain. I've been offered an abdominal CT scan that is available this week. I am wondering if the scan could give me some answers, even if partial, while I wait. Normally, if it were a no-risk test I wouldn't think twice. But given the amount of radiation, I wonder if I should just suck it up and wait for the colonoscopy. Thoughts?

CRguy

Re: CT scan - any value?

Postby CRguy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum.

My thoughts :
Please see my signature and linked "mini-blog" of my history here
I have had about 18 CT scans and 8 colonoscopies

Each will give a different view of what is going on, and engage a different set of experts looking at your situation.

My take ... JMO and NOT MEDICAL ADVICE ... BUTT
based on a whole career as a vet and dealing with all this CRC stuff since 2007,
I want as many folks with as much info possible, on MY side, asking the right questions ...
AND getting the right answers ASAP !

So to answer you, being in your shoes I would get the CT then add the info from the colonoscopy and get the whole picture.

Best wishes whatever you decide and stay plugged in here with a great group of very helpful / knowledgeable folks

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:29 am

Without knowing your medical setting, I would say yes - get the CT. A month is a long time to wait with those symptoms, and a CT can potentially rule in/out some of the more serious causes and complications in that area.

Radiation is a valid consideration, but I would consider it a small risk compared to delaying treatment of a GI-based issue.

Good luck,
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

dannynabsh

Postby dannynabsh » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:06 am

Thanks both!
I should also point out this is a no-contrast scan done at an urgent care facility. But a CT is a CT I guess!

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:22 am

In my opinion, you should get the CT scan this week. The risk is minimal, and you will get good information from it.

Also, I think you should probably do something about your constipation problem. This is because you would not want to end up in the ER some week-end and then be forced to have an emergency surgery just to relieve a blockage. Check with your doctor about this.

8 Home Remedies for Constipation
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/home-remedies-for-constipation/

Take care ...

Nor Cal

Postby Nor Cal » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:49 am

I would absolutely get the scan
Dx June 2020, stage IV, w liver mets in both lobes. M, age 50. Right-sided colon tumor. CEA 120.
BRAF+ TMB 5% MSS TDL1-1%
July 2020 - Present: 55 cycles chemo (All the various 5-FU regimens)
December 2020 - February 2021 Y90 Radioembolization, Chemoembolization x2

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:50 pm

From your question, you seem to be in doubt. A CT may well be called for here, but keep in mind that most of the folks on this board (including me) have experience with GI “challenges.” Many of us have had uncounted CTs. But our risk-profile differs from that of healthy persons. Any downsides to scans are immaterial to most of us.

Thus, all I’d add is that if you’re a healthy person with no known GI disease, I’d consider all the facts and try to decide without reference to emotion or any psychological factors (to the extent that’s possible :)) what the best course is. You say you were “offered” a CT. Was it *recommended*? What does your GI (or PCP) think/say? You know your own psychological makeup—are you a worrier about health, or otherwise? Are these (relatively common and often benign (but not always)) symptoms new, persistent, significant? Are they stable, resolving, or getting worse? That sort of thing.

I’d consider those and any other relevant factors, then decide. Either course may be reasonable based on the *totality* of the circumstances, including the above and more. Once you make a well considered call, go forward with confidence. And good luck!
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”