Fasting and LARS

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Phillypatient

Fasting and LARS

Postby Phillypatient » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:36 am

Hi All

Just wanted to post an update. Have ULAR about 5 years ago. Was terribly disappointed with the surgery so opted not to follow up with docs so haven’t seen once since. I’ve tried experimenting with different foods and different schedules but to no avail. Two weeks ago I had some friends come into town and realized the only way to spend time with them was to not eat, which I didn’t do for 60 hours. Surprisingly afterwards, my bowel movements improved dramatically and have been consistent unlike ever before. A friend of mine opined that it may be related to vagus nerve reset, etc.
Just thought I’d put it out there and should someone else try this, please post your results

Thanks
Male 48, dx 10/16 rectal cancer t3n1m0
Chemorad Dec 16
Xelox Mar 17-Jul 17
Lar Sept 17
Reversal Dec 17

JJH

Re: Fasting and LARS

Postby JJH » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Phillypatient wrote:Hi All

Just wanted to post an update. Have ULAR about 5 years ago. Was terribly disappointed with the surgery so opted not to follow up with docs so haven’t seen once since. I’ve tried experimenting with different foods and different schedules but to no avail. Two weeks ago I had some friends come into town and realized the only way to spend time with them was to not eat, which I didn’t do for 60 hours. Surprisingly afterwards, my bowel movements improved dramatically and have been consistent unlike ever before. A friend of mine opined that it may be related to vagus nerve reset, etc.
Just thought I’d put it out there and should someone else try this, please post your results

Thanks

Very interesting observation!

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66104&p=511780&hilit=pudendal%20nerve#p511780

Whenever I know that I will have a long trip to take, or a succession of lengthy events to attend with no access to toilets, I usually do a preliminary 36 hour "no solid food" fast.  During those 36 hours I consume only liquids (soups, smoothies, coffee,  non-carbonated beverages, etc.) and no solid food whatsoever. So far, this has worked out OK for me.

Cured

Re: Fasting and LARS

Postby Cured » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:21 am

I must report that my Colorectal Surgeon told me to take Konsyl psyllium fiber, as it forms a gel around the poop and is known to help prevent colon cancer. It keeps my BMs regular and soft.
Ever since my surgery 14 years ago every colonoscopy has shown a clean pink colon. :)

I fast continually. Have been in Ketosis for 4 years. Hopefully it starves the cancer which is known to thrive on sugar/ glucose.
I also fast Intermittently, with a 5-6 hour eating window.
One popular MD suggested for me to also fast for one or two days a week. I usually skip eating 1 day.

If there was a legitimate fasting clinic in the US I would go to it; planning not to eat for 3 weeks. There are many in Russia and at least 1 in Germany which has existed for 100 years.
I can't find a local Onc to go along with the zero-eating fast.

There's much data on the benefits of fasting. But it doesn't make money for Pharma or the Cancer Centers. Sad to say that money rules the Cancer world

Hoping your life improves.
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri