3cm polyp in sigmoid colon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
nathan_drake

3cm polyp in sigmoid colon

Postby nathan_drake » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi all....kinda freaking out....no pathology yet....39 years old....went for colonoscopy and endoscopy for heartburn.....to my surprise endoscopy is NORMAL but they removed 3cm polyp from the sigmoid and 5mm from the transverse colon.......3cm is concerning but the doc didn't say anything and told me to wait for pathology and he removed it all apparently....also I have a colonoscopy 11 years ago and all was normal. What are the chances this is cancer? Thanks

sandkeeper

Re: 3cm polyp in sigmoid colon

Postby sandkeeper » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. The waiting game is horrible but ultimately worrying doesn't help in the end.

The fact it's described as a 'polyp', however big, is better news than finding a tumour, because there's a good chance it isn't cancer.

Now, about the size. Bigger is more concerning, but how much? I did a little research and one study said this:

No cancer was found in polyps < 5 mm in size. However, the cancer incidence was... 42/973 (4.30%) in polyps > 30 mm in size.

So while your 3cm polyp is more worrying than the smaller one which is almost certainly nothing, there's more than a 95% chance that what you have is not cancer. I wish I could tell you it was 100%, but for now, assume good news until you hear otherwise.

All the best.
31 year old male, dx Oct 17
Staged IIA post sigmoid colectomy
T3b N0 M0
LVI-, PNI-, MSS
No chemo
Oct 18: clear CT
Oct 19: clear CT
Nov 19: became a father!
Oct 20: clear CT
Nov 20: clear colonoscopy
Nov 21: no more CTs but still being monitored and NED
Aug 22: clear MRI (tailbone pain triggers a scan)
Nov 22: 5 years cancer-free, discharged from follow-ups
CEA: always 1

nathan_drake

Postby nathan_drake » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:53 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.....my discharge document states repeat colonoscopy in 6 months.......and identified the 3cm as polyp, clip and tattoo.

Do you know if I should go for an ESD procedure during my follow-up to fully remove it if it grows back again? because I don't think this outpatient clinic used ESD technology to remove my polyp. I am doing a lot of research and ESD procedure came to my search. Thanks

nathan_drake

Postby nathan_drake » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:43 pm

hello all.....finally got the path results with below....my family doctor is saying no cancer so I can rest my mind at ease....however they are also TUBULAR ADENOMA and TUBULOVILLOUS ADENOMA

D. Transverse Colon:
COLORECTAL MUCOSA:
- TUBULAR ADENOMA
- NEGATIVE FOR HIGH-GRADE DYSPLASIA AND MALIGNANCY
E. Sigmoid- polyp 1 cm or greater:
COLORECTAL MUCOSA:
- TUBULOVILLOUS ADENOMA
- NEGATIVE FOR HIGH-GRADE DYSPLASIA AND MALIGNANCY
There is a stalk of non-neoplastic mucosa.

Do I need to do anything or be concerned? My next colonoscopy is in January 2023. Thank you.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”