How did you treated those bone/spine mets

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crybaby

How did you treated those bone/spine mets

Postby crybaby » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 am

My dad completed 25 radiations (45 Gy) to sacral S1 mets + pelvic recurrence in May. The doc then asked for a PET scan just 1 month later (in June) and told us to redo the test the 3 months later since the disease was stable in last report. But now we also need to change the doc since our last doc kinda shrugged us off though might be for best i didn't really like his way of working. I have been telling my dad to meet new doc now but he really want to wait till september so he can do again then :x

But if you read my older posts, you may know that the PET scan report showed some slight increase in SUV at both sites and the sacral mets showed 10% size increased too. But our then doc told us that disease has shown slight reduction.

Should I wait for fresh PET(till Sept) to see new doc or should I just force my dad now. Not gonna be an easy task. :x

I have been reading through a lots sacral and bone mets post on this and other forums and for most of the time I see cyberknife mentioned but I think my dad was given IMRT using Novalis. I wonder why we were not given choice between techniques.
Have any of you had radiation to your bone mets? can you brief me a little about what scanning you did after rads and after how long and what were the results.

Rock_Robster

Re: How did you treated those bone/spine mets

Postby Rock_Robster » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 am

I commented on the scan timing on your other post so I won’t repeat myself. However I’ve not heard of using IMRT for bone mets - more commonly I think this would be SABR/SBRT (of which CyberKnife is one brand). Though perhaps given the need to also deliver pelvic radiation this was also a factor.

It might be worth asking whether a more targeted SBRT treatment to the bone met could also be possible? I’ve heard of some people having a good response from even a single fraction for a small bone lesion.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

crybaby

Re: How did you treated those bone/spine mets

Postby crybaby » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 am

Rock_Robster wrote:I commented on the scan timing on your other post so I won’t repeat myself. However I’ve not heard of using IMRT for bone mets - more commonly I think this would be SABR/SBRT (of which CyberKnife is one brand). Though perhaps given the need to also deliver pelvic radiation this was also a factor.

It might be worth asking whether a more targeted SBRT treatment to the bone met could also be possible? I’ve heard of some people having a good response from even a single fraction for a small bone lesion.

I am really sorry for the late reply things have been not too good lately. And yes I did read your last post too. It gave me some insight.

Though perhaps given the need to also deliver pelvic radiation this was also a factor.
That can be the reason because I check the radiation treatment documents and interestingly they don't mention any technique. Just the machine name (Novalis) and the fractions and the name of the areas treated.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”