juliej?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
FightCRC

juliej?

Postby FightCRC » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:45 pm

Am hoping someone has heard from longtime member juliej in the past 12 months? She used to be a frequent poster here. And IMO, an incredible resource of information and inspiration. Just hoping she's doing OK. And also hoping she knows how much her contributions here were valued.

Wishing everyone the best in their treatment.

boxhill

Re: juliej?

Postby boxhill » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:17 pm

No insight into juliej, but there have been so many posters, people who are often in fairly dire circumstances, who vanish after a relatively short time. I never cease to worry about them and hope that they are well, although it seems unlikely. :cry:
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:06 pm

Agreed, juliej is a great person and friend to this forum ... WORD !
I have not been in contact for a while on/off forum and have heard nothing via the grapevine.

I consider her a good forum friend and wish her ALL the best life has to offer, and hope she hears us and checks in soon !!!!

Mega Cheers JJ
Harmony on the Journey my friend
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 03, 2022 11:59 am

Just a bump up here
in hopes of someone who has had off forum contact with juliej
might have a reply ???

Any feedback welcomed !

Cheers to all on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Peregrine

Re: 53rd St. gang a.k.a. Nancy's kids

Postby Peregrine » Wed May 04, 2022 1:39 am

Bumping this topic up with a new title, in the hopes that some of the old "53rd Street gang" may still be around and in contact with juliej.

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/search.php?keywords=53rd+gang&terms=all&author=juliej&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri May 06, 2022 9:06 pm

just an FYI
I did send some feelers out and as yet have heard nothing back

Still sending best wishes and Mega CHEERS on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Tue May 17, 2022 1:48 am

I only ever contacted Julie via the PM's and talked to her a few times as I felt that her and I had some similarities, especially in relation to lung involvement (and running).
She was still pretty active on this site but mentioned a few things that suggested she was transitioning from being a cancer patient, back into a normal life.
My take on it was that she needed to make a clean break and get away from this site to do that transition and I certainly hope it is the case.
She contributed so much, to so many people, that she has left a great legacy to read if anyone wanted to.

Julie, if you ever do read this, thanks for all the messages and different points of view you contributed on your time here and best wishes with your current life.

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 17, 2022 2:41 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:My take on it was that she needed to make a clean break and get away from this site to do that transition and I certainly hope it is the case.

As do I Kiwi, as do I.

Many folks have done just that over the years and simply got on with life.
Those of us still active here just wish sometimes we knew for sure that IS the case.

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Peregrine

Postby Peregrine » Fri May 20, 2022 8:48 am

kiwiinoz wrote:... She was still pretty active on this site but mentioned a few things that suggested she was transitioning from being a cancer patient, back into a normal life.

My take on it was that she needed to make a clean break and get away from this site to do that transition and I certainly hope it is the case.

In January 2020, juliej wrote:In August of 2010, on a perfect summer day, I was told I was dying. I didn't really believe it at first. I was healthy, fit, young, with no history of cancer in my family. Then they showed me the images. There were tumors everywhere. How could someone who looked so well on the outside be so sick on the inside?

I was overwhelmed and asked for the prognosis. The oncologist said 6 months without chemo, 18 months to 2 years at best with it. There was zero chance of surgery. I didn't feel brave or courageous or anything like people in movies about cancer patients. Just scared. Really, really scared. But I needed to push back. I wasn't dead yet and although the road ahead looked like the highway to hell, it wasn't clear if there were turn-offs, exits, U-turns, roadblocks, or crossroads.

Fourteen months of chemo later, I had a consultation at MSKCC where I learned the chemo had done a lot of damage to my tumors. They were ready to operate on me and I was ready to take a chance. The plan involved two major surgeries (one involving an HAI pump), each with multiple parts, only months apart from each other - assuming, of course, I did well on the first one. It was a crossroads, not an exit ramp, but I felt like it was the beginning of something good. It took two additional surgeries over the next year and a lot more chemo until I got my first clear scan.

At first, I was elated, but also apprehensive. With cancer you never know if you've really found an exit but taking that crossroad was the smartest thing I've ever done. In 2010 when I was first diagnosed I used to think about 2013, the year I wouldn't ever live to see. Now it is 2020 and thanks to Dr. Kemeny and her team at MSK, I am still here.

I also owe thanks to all of you. You lifted me up when I was down, and your words, thoughts and prayers carried me through my darkest days. I wouldn't be so cocky if all you wonderful people didn't have my back through all of this. At the end of "my final year" (2012) I proposed a toast. I would like to repeat it this year.

(Please raise your glasses high!)

To the health and well-being of the members of this Club (whom I cherish), to peace, love, and happiness, to winter sunshine, to summer shadows, to bravery and perseverance, to those just starting out on this journey and to those who are veterans of the infusion rooms and surgery wards, to the unshakeable and constant love of caregivers, to our lovers and spouses who view our scarred bodies with non-judgmental eyes and unconditional love, to those whom we've lost in battle and who will forever live on in our hearts, to all of you reading this: your goodness and compassion make the world a finer place to be, and I am privileged to count you all as friends.

Much love,
    Juliej

mariane

Postby mariane » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 am

I miss juliej as well. She helped me a lot. However, I understand moving on. I myself hardly ever open the website I used to post almost every day. This forum helped me so much and I am grateful for it and all the people here.
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

stu

Postby stu » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:27 am

Mariane ,

Just noticed the age of your kids ! Unbelievable!
Hope life is treating you well .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

mariane

Postby mariane » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm

Thank you so much, Stu! I so like to see you here.
Last 2 years were not easy for us all. I was planning to come back to work and passed some exams that were allowing me to move forward. Then, Covid came and uncertainty ruled. My husband got furloughed, I started homeschooling kids and had to reschedule my plans. I also was simply afraid of this new challenge, so unpredictable. Staying home was safer option after all that I went through. My dad died in October 2021 after heave stroke. I was lucky to be with him during his last week. He seemed to wait for me after spending 4 sad months alone between life and death when nobody was allowed to visit him. I am a sole caregiver to my dementive elderly mom, now.
Twins will start high school next year and I am so happy to be with them, see them, support them, sometimes teach them and mostly just enjoy this great time with them.
My scans were clear and my labs were fine once more so I am free to live my life and travel to Europe. We hope for a good vacation.
We are flying through London and are planning a day there. :)
Greetings for your Mom and the whole Family!
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

stu

Postby stu » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:08 pm

You have the gift of time with your kids . Mine were 7 and 9 when mum was diagnosed and it shaped me . I decided to spend more time with them and have no regrets as they are now in their twenties . Put an end to my career but I have loved being their mum and we can still enjoy a good chat .
You sound as though you are keeping really well and that is fantastic. You have done so well .
So glad you were with your dad at the end . I thought a lot about what families went through being separated from their loved ones . I lost my own dad last Autumn . But thankful the restrictions were lifted . We were also able to sit with him . Boy I miss him !
Mum was very sick around the same time and was in HD for several weeks but she rallied. They scanned her and her cancer was back . They had stopped scanning over covid . She is having Cetuximab and doing well on it . Breathlessness has gone and now planning her holidays .

Dementia is a tough illness . It was just rearing its head in my dad before he died . That is a lot to do on your own .

The children will bring you more joy in the years to come and sounds as though your holidays are already planned .

So good to see your name pop up .
take care ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .