It's time to apply for Colon Camp 2023!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
User avatar
Phuong
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 pm
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

It's time to apply for Colon Camp 2023!!!

Postby Phuong » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm

The Colon Club is thrilled to announce that we are returning to an in-person Colon Camp!!! If you were diagnosed <45 or are their caregiver, applications are now open. Please note that if selected, you are required to have your Covid vaccinations to attend this retreat.
https://colondar.wufoo.com/forms/x9rpcag0jabuqc

Image
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: It's time to apply for Colon Camp 2023!!!

Postby horizon » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:40 pm

Good luck to everyone who applies!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 11 years NED). Is this real life?

JJH
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:26 am

Re: It's time to apply for Colon Camp 2023!!!

Postby JJH » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:17 am

Phuong wrote:...Please note that if selected, you are required to have your Covid vaccinations to attend this retreat...

I have a few comments about the organization of this retreat and about the application form itself. For example:

1. The application form is incomplete. If Covid vaccines are indeed going to be required, then the applicants should be required to upload copies of their vaccination certificate(s) showing the dates and types of vaccine used.This is because these vaccines have a limited period of validity, and it will be important to know exactly when the vaccinations were completed:

    "In the U.S., you’re considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if it’s been two weeks since your final dose. But that’s no longer enough to be considered fully vaccinated everywhere in the world, especially as the omicron variant spreads. Several countries in the European Union, for example, are setting vaccine expiration dates, or requiring proof of a COVID-19 booster shot.

    "As travelers look ahead to booking trips in 2022, keep in mind that booster shots will increasingly be required for travel — and that you’ll need to keep a close eye on the date of your last COVID-19 dose."

    https://thepointsguy.com/guide/covid-va ... on-travel/
.
Specifically, it may be necessary for participants to have a confirmed booster shot especially if they are immunocompromised at the time of travel. A booster shot might even be mandated for all participants by the time June arrives:


2. Concerns about the retreat resort site itself: I have a number of concerns about the resort's ability to host a Covid-compliant event. In particular, this resort's website has no information whatsoever about Covid safety measures or anything at all related to Covid. How is it going to insure the health and safety of the participants? Most of the resorts that I know of require a recent negative PCR test prior to check-in -- in addition to a valid vaccination certificate.

Once the attendees have been selected, they will need to be fully informed of the COVID protocols that need to be enforced.

This is especially important for those attendees who may be inmuno-compromised, and those with serious comorbidities, since these are the attendees that would be at highest risk were they to be infected with COVID while at the retreat.

Given that the retreat owners don't seem to be overly concerned about COVID prevention (based what's on their website) I think it behooves the Colon Camp organizers/staff to show up a day or so early with plenty of disinfectant wet-wipes and other sanitary products to do what they can to sanitize the lodge and common areas (tables, chairs, door knobs, etc) from the left-over contamination from the previous group of registrants at the retreat lodge.

Given that the retreat site is "out in the boondocks" away from civilization, far from the nearest hospital, and more than an hour from the nearest airport, I think it would be important for the organizers of this retreat to do whatever is possible to guarantee a COVID-free experience.
Last edited by JJH on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Phuong
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 pm
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Re: It's time to apply for Colon Camp 2023!!!

Postby Phuong » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:41 pm

Thank you for your concerns, JJH. All staff and attendees will be compliant and we will be the only ones in this resort space. Rather than having everyone upload their vaccination cards, we will request those once the attendees have been selected.
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC


JJH
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:26 am

It's time to get ready for Colon Camp !!!

Postby JJH » Mon May 23, 2022 10:56 pm

Phuong wrote:Thank you for your concerns, JJH. All staff and attendees will be compliant and we will be the only ones in this resort space. Rather than having everyone upload their vaccination cards, we will request those once the attendees have been selected.

Just a reminder. Colon Camp will be starting soon. and for those who will be attending, now is the time to check if your vaccination card is still up to date. Some attendees may need to have a booster shot in order to be compliant, and if so, the booster shot must be done at least 14 days in advance...

    JJH wrote:
    Phuong wrote:...Please note that if selected, you are required to have your Covid vaccinations to attend this retreat...

    I have a few comments about the organization of this retreat and about the application form itself. For example:

    1. The application form is incomplete. If Covid vaccines are indeed going to be required, then the applicants should be required to upload copies of their vaccination certificate(s) showing the dates and types of vaccine used.This is because these vaccines have a limited period of validity, and it will be important to know exactly when the vaccinations were completed:

      "In the U.S., you’re considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if it’s been two weeks since your final dose. But that’s no longer enough to be considered fully vaccinated everywhere in the world, especially as the omicron variant spreads. Several countries in the European Union, for example, are setting vaccine expiration dates, or requiring proof of a COVID-19 booster shot.

      "As travelers look ahead to booking trips in 2022, keep in mind that booster shots will increasingly be required for travel — and that you’ll need to keep a close eye on the date of your last COVID-19 dose."

      https://thepointsguy.com/guide/covid-va ... on-travel/
    .
    Specifically, it may be necessary for participants to have a confirmed booster shot especially if they are immunocompromised at the time of travel. A booster shot might even be mandated for all ...

"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Markdale and 5 guests