Ileostomy Reversal - My Journey

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Xndman

Re: Ileostomy Reversal - My Journey

Postby Xndman » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:55 am

Thought I'd drop in with another update. I'm just over 4 months out from reversal surgery now. I still go upwards of 10x a day but the stool is typically pretty well formed. Boozing does indeed make things pretty watery for some time the next day. My control keeps improving and I don't even think too much about going out anymore. I prefer to have an hour or so after eating but I haven't had any accidents in quite a while and I've gone as long as 8 hours without pooping.

It feels like the last step for me will be for my new "colon" to accumulate more stool before making me feel like I need to use the bathroom.

Aside from the pooping saga, my energy is very slowly improving. I do a lot of walking but not much vigorous exercise, I need to start that. However, when the end of the day comes I'm usually pretty tired.

DennisG
Facebook Username: Dwg3636@comcast.net

Postby DennisG » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:07 am

After my second bout of colon cancer, because I have Lynch syndrome my surgeon thought it was time to remove my large intestine. It’s been 18 months since my surgery and I continue to suffer. My weight dropped from 198 to 166. My stomach is almost always bloated, stomach feels as if I was punched and I am very weak.

I have about 10 BM’s a day, however about every four weeks I have about 20 BM’s daily for a week. I lose 5 pounds and am so week I can barely function. I lose my appetite and feel nauseous after BM’s. I get dizzy when I first stand up. Quality of life is a 2 at this point.

I take 6 imodium every day. Two capsules three times a day. I just started hyoscyamine sulf (Levsin) 3 times daily.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Xndman

Postby Xndman » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:07 am

Sorry to hear it's been so rough for you Dennis.

How's your diet? Do eat high fiber foods like rice, etc? Are you taking a fiber supplement like Imodium? When you do go are you stools formed at all? Do you have control when you need to go? Are you exercising regularly?

Apologies for all the questions but your answers will help with giving you advice. Good luck and don't give up.

Xndman

Postby Xndman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:39 am

Hello everyone, I'm now approaching 8 months post ileostomy takedown. Thinking back on the last 14months, I had two open surgeries (8hours and 3 hours) and two hospital stays (11 days and 4 days). I'm in my early 50's and I guess I'm a little surprised how long it's taking me to get back to normal from an energy perspective. My energy is really good when I wake up but I still find myself having difficulty staying awake past 10 or so. But that said, I typically get up between 4 and 5. I have started working out again so hopefully that will help get some of my old energy back.

I go around 10x per day, but not due to an emergency, mainly out of convenience. The stolls are mixed from decently formed to more liquidity. I rarely us A&D these days so I consider that pretty good progress. If I go to an event that doesn't have bathroom facilities, I won't eat or drink because doing so typically makes me use the potty at least once or twice shortly thereafter. I have been out to eat a few times and I've just used the facilities at the restaurant/bar when needed. One thing that's interesting is that I've kept the weight I loss from surgery off. I wasn't really fat when I went in the first time but I was definitely overweight. I'm still down around 15% from that point and seem to have settled at my current weight without really watching what I eat or trying to lose any.

Anyway, that's my update. From all the horror stories I'd read prior to having the takedown surgery I consider myself really really lucky. I wouldn't call myself close to normal yet since I do still need to use the restroom after eating, but this is easily managed. My butt rarely hurts and I've been both back in the office and worked from home with no real issues. I hope that people going through this find my storying a little uplifting and I'm happy to answer any questions or give my thoughts.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Glad things are improving.

One thing that I found that really helped with diarrhea is barrier creams or sprays. My insurance covered Cavilon wipes to use with the illeostomy but some folks here suggested Cavilon spray and it was much easier to apply and it formed a nice barrier so that the skin didn't get irritated if contacted by output. With diarrhea, it protects the skin in the general area so you don't get burning. The cream is easier to use back there because you can't really see what you're spraying back there. I suppose that you could have someone else spray it for you but I've always tried to do as much of this stuff without assistance.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

claudine

Postby claudine » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:58 am

Very informative post Xndman. Since my husband will go through the same process at some point, every testimony is precious! Thanks NHMike for the Cavilon reference. I’m taking notes!
Wife of Dx 04/18 (51 yo). MSS, KRAS G12A, no primary

Tumors: L4 04/18; left adrenal gland & small lung nodules 03/19
rectum 02/22 (pT3 pN0 stage 2A); L3 09/22

Surgeries: intestinal resect. 05/18 (no cancer - Crohn's); adrenalectomy 02/20
L3-L4-L5 fusion and corpectomy 05/20; LAR 04/22; ileo reversal 09/22
L2-L3 fusion and corpectomy 09/22

Treatments: EBRT 04/18; SBRT 02/19; Failed adjuvant Xelox ; Folfiri/Avastin 03/19 - 01/20
adjuvant chemorad (Xeloda) 06/22; SBRT 11/22; Xeloda/Avastin since 01/24

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”