Advice about resection and reconnection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sunnycd

Re: Advice about resection and reconnection

Postby Sunnycd » Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 am

cucaracha wrote: My surgeon did it within 3 months.

I have had similar experiences to others that have posted here. It's getting better, but it will take time. Patience will go a long way. Besides Imodium, psyllium husk, enemas and other remedies, I recommend to exercise a good amount to promote blood flow so you can heal faster and to keep a healthy mindset. Before i had surgery, I searched out a 'cancer buddy" because I was losing my shit about the radical surgery. https://www.ccalliance.org/patient-fami ... dy-program

I returned to work 2 weeks ago, and decided to fast while I am there. I figure there is less of a chance for an accident, and keeps it stress and anxiety free. I still have a light breakfast in the morning and then protein shakes while working.

Good luck

I am surprised you had the reversal done so quickly and by your signature, it seems it was a week or so after your chemo. Is timing a big predictor on outcome, I.e. 3 months vs 7 months vs 1 year? Also, thanks for pointing to the cancer buddy program. I just signed up to be matched for one. I too, am losing my shit, but don’t feel like sharing it with family and friends.
DX Feb. ‘21 CC IIB @ 51
Jan. ‘21 ER surgery, temp. colostomy
Sigmoid, adernocarcinoma
T4aN0MX, G2
0/24 lymph nodes
LVI: indefinite
PNI: not identified
Margins: clear
March ‘21 started 4 rounds of CAPOX
06/17/21 last day of CAPOX
06/25/21 CT scan clear
CEA: @ dx 4, post surgery 1.9, post chemo: 2.9; 09/21: 1.5
07/14/21 colostomy reversal
09/24/21 CT clear
10/12/21 colonoscopy; 1 polyp
12/05/23 colonoscopy clear
MSS, RAS/RAF wild, PIK3CA mutant

montezuma

Postby montezuma » Wed May 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Yeah, I did my last round of mop up chemo on a Tuesday and then had my surgery about 2 weeks later. No rest for the wicked, lol. If I understand your question correctly, i don’t think having the ileostomy reversal sooner than later will determine your final outcome. I just wanted to start my road to recovery immediately.

I was in complete denial about this stage of the recovery. My cancer buddy told me it was the hardest part, but I totally ignored his comment. I called him several weeks later and said, “you were right”.

Another thing that helped me was I measured my progress weekly for the 1st to 2 months and now it’s monthly.

[/quote]
I am surprised you had the reversal done so quickly and by your signature, it seems it was a week or so after your chemo. Is timing a big predictor on outcome, I.e. 3 months vs 7 months vs 1 year? Also, thanks for pointing to the cancer buddy program. I just signed up to be matched for one. I too, am losing my shit, but don’t feel like sharing it with family and friends.[/quote]
DX 45 yrs old
12/19 CEA 1.8
1/7/20 Stage IIIA RCa, T3N1. 5.8cm from AV
5.8cm AV, 3mm beyond rectal wall, 2 involved mesorectal lymph nodes
neoadjuvant:
1/19 - 5/19 chemo - XELODA, FOLFOX - 8 rounds
5/19 - 6/19 radiation w/ Capecitabine
9/20 EUS Pathology, 6-7cm from AV
Residual moderately differentiated rectal adenocarcinoma
11/3/20 LAR, TME
Results: 11/5/21, 1 out of 12 lymph nodes positive
12/20-1/21 chemo -XELODA, FOLFOX - 4 rounds
2/21 resection & port removal
3/23 CEA 10.8
4/23 MRI new tumor

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Thu May 27, 2021 1:57 am

Sunnycd wrote:
cucaracha wrote: My surgeon did it within 3 months.

I have had similar experiences to others that have posted here. It's getting better, but it will take time. Patience will go a long way. Besides Imodium, psyllium husk, enemas and other remedies, I recommend to exercise a good amount to promote blood flow so you can heal faster and to keep a healthy mindset. Before i had surgery, I searched out a 'cancer buddy" because I was losing my shit about the radical surgery. https://www.ccalliance.org/patient-fami ... dy-program

I returned to work 2 weeks ago, and decided to fast while I am there. I figure there is less of a chance for an accident, and keeps it stress and anxiety free. I still have a light breakfast in the morning and then protein shakes while working.

Good luck

I am surprised you had the reversal done so quickly and by your signature, it seems it was a week or so after your chemo. Is timing a big predictor on outcome, I.e. 3 months vs 7 months vs 1 year? Also, thanks for pointing to the cancer buddy program. I just signed up to be matched for one. I too, am losing my shit, but don’t feel like sharing it with family and friends.

There was one study I found comparing before vs after 6 months for reversal, and found that those reversed within 6 months had better functional recovery than those reversed after 6 months. I don’t believe it was any more granular than that however.

Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI