Xeloda and abdominal pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
stu

Re: Xeloda and abdominal pain

Postby stu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 am

So glad to hear your home .
Sounds as though chemo hit your body hard but I am also hoping it gave the cancer a big hit too!

Rest well and speedy recovery. You have endured a lot the last couple of weeks .

Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

CRguy

Re: Xeloda and abdominal pain

Postby CRguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Green Tea wrote:For example, if your initial IV antibiotic was Flagyl (metronidazole), then it is for Gram-positive bacteria only and will not work at all for Gram-negative bacteria. If your abscess is caused in fact by a Gram-negative bacteria, then something like Meropenem might be more appropriate.
This statement is a bit misleading.

Flagyl (metronidazole) is highly effective against anaerobes, whether gram negative or positive, and other organisms like protozoa.
A proper culture and sensitivity is required for definitive treatment and resolution.
Metronidazole has activity against protozoans like Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia and Trichomonas vaginalis, for which the drug was first approved as an effective treatment. Anaerobic bacteria which are typically sensitive are primarily Gram-negative anaerobes belonging to the Bacteroides and Fusobacterium spp.

Its use with something such as ciprofloxacin results in so called " four quadrant coverage " ( erroneously aka "broad spectrum" )
=>>>> gram negative / gram positive / aerobe / anaerobe bacteria.

The member is referred to my own story which encompasses exactly this drug regimen for a pelvic abscess.
IV meropenem in hospital and then follow up with oral metronidazole and ciprofloxacin, with an indwelling pelvic drain and sterile flushes.

Resolved with no discernible sequelae in late 2007 !

Best wishes Nicolouna for getting this resolved !
Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”