Prep for colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
edinaman

Prep for colonoscopy

Postby edinaman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am

I haven't been on this site in a long time. It's going on 16 years since I was diagnosed. Well this year is time for my colonoscopy. I have not done well with most preps. My doctor suggested trying Suprep. I don't mind paying, since my insurance won't cover it. Actually, the doctor said they have never had a person who's insurance paid for it. My question is-has anyone used this prep, and how was it?
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

roadrunner

Re: Prep for colonoscopy

Postby roadrunner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

roadrunner wrote:Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.

Same here (except I didn't know about the lime so thanks for the tip!)
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

Jaradg

Postby Jaradg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 am

zephyr wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.

Same here (except I didn't know about the lime so thanks for the tip!)

I’ll add a third to this. Much easier than drinking a whole gallon of the other stuff.

My insurance (I had Aetna in Maryland) covered it no problem

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 am

Suprep is the best!! If you have to have a colonoscopy. :D I've had it twice. It was easy and fast. Highly recommend.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Never had it....just wanted to say hi to another old timer :D Found this drug card for it online. As long as you aren't on Medicare or Medicaid.....this will work. Don't know how much it costs but every little bit helps.

https://www.suprepkit.com/Savings

Last year when I had my scope, my doctor Rxd me something...I think it was prepopik BUT I instead used the Miralax/Dulcolax & Gatorade prep that a lot of gastro clinics use instead. I googled it....used by places like Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, MSKCC, Sutter Health (around SF) and Kaiser. Yep, I was wrong not to tell my doctor that I used this approach instead but she said my prep was EXCELLENT and I was happy. I'm never going back to the nasty stuff again. My surgeon (she does all my scopes) used to Rx me the OsmoPrep pills but not any more....bummer....those were nice and easy. I had a friend who was due for her scope, was Rxd the gallon of crap and I told her about the M/D/& Gatorade prep. She was dubious so she called up the gastro clinic at Virginia Mason basically in tears. They told her that if she didn't think she could stomach the gallon (last time she threw it up), then they routinely tell patients to take the M/D & Gatorade. She was so happy and relieved. My question is WHY not just tell the patient about it in the first place?

They all have the same end result...so I have never understood why so many doctors continue to Rx the nasty gallon or half gallon of stuff. Even my doctor said she tried it and would NEVER make a patient drink that swill (her words). Whichever prep you do, I hope everything goes well. Even when we are this far out (I'm only two years behind you) it's still nerve racking going through the procedure.

Take care. Hope things are going well for you.. It's fun sometimes to 'reconnect' with the old timers on this board and walk down memory lane.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Jaynee. It's good to hear from you. My doctor normally uses the Miralax, Gatorade, etc. prep. That's what I used for my last two preps. The first time I used it, I barely tolerated it, and by the morning of my procedure I was really nauseated and bloated. The last time I gagged down about half of what I was supposed to drink. Fortunately, I was clean enough to do the colonoscopy. I was so sick that time, that the night before the prep I called the doctor's office and told the doctor who was taking calls that if I drank one more sip,everything was coming up. He said to stop the prep. The next morning I was supposed to drink magnesium citrate. There was no way. When I got to the hospital for the procedure, the nurse saw how sick I was an immediately hooked me up to iv's for nausea and dehydration. This time there was no way I was doing that prep again. They said I could do Suprep, but they have never had a patient who's insurance covered it. I told them I didn't care, I'd pay the $140 if it meant I could do the prep. Insurance actually covered it, which surprised the druggist. He said both he and the doctor worked on getting it approved. Maybe it helps if you've had colon cancer and have had issues with the other prep. Strangely, they didn't cover the anti nausea pills that were prescribed. I wasn't complaining, because the prep was only $8, and the pills were $44, so it was still cheaper than paying for the prep if not covered. I wish I could use those discount cards, but unfortunately they won't work with Medicare. I could go into a whole story about that. I don't have the colonoscopy until late September, so I have a while. Hopefully, this will work.
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Mugenabe

Postby Mugenabe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm

I did suprep for my colonoscopy. Not the best experience but worked the way it was supposed to I guess. Colonoscopy pictures were nice and clean lol.
5/13/20 colonoscopy, CT Scan - 5cm tumor found in sigmoid colon, no evidence in other organs, confirmed cancer
5/21/20 colectomy (partial resection) - waiting for staging
6/2/20 Pathology results 7/25 nodes positive Stage 3C T4aN2b
6/25/20 CAPOX 4 rounds CEA 2.5
11/16/20 CT Scan Clear! CEA 2.5
5/21/21 CT/MRI Clear! CEA 2.8

hondo77

Postby hondo77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:27 am

I used it for my last colonoscopy (it was the gallon jug before that). Much easier (and my insurance covered it, no problem). They need to work on the taste so I grabbed an Italian ice right after drinking it, which helped. The effects were better than the jug but I imagine some of that had to do with the food changes recommended before starting the prep (low-residue then clear liquid).

AmyG

Postby AmyG » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:05 am

I just picked up my suprep last night, even with insurance and a coupon it was $90. Wtf?

My dosage insurrection boil down to 14 hours apart. I'm going to have to take both doses on Sunday, instead of Sunday afternoon, Monday morning. I have a two hour drive to the hospital and the scope is at 1000. Supposed to dose at 0600. Not happening. I'll never get there!!!
42 dx @ 9wks pregnant w/baby #8 8/18
Sigmoid colon resection 9/18
Adenocarcinoma, G2, T3N0M0..or so we thought
KRAS/BRAF wild
Liver biopsy is malignant, stage iv now boys!
Delivered healthy baby 3/19
FOLFOX + Avastin 5/19
CEA 167 to 24 after 4 rounds
Liver resection 8/28/19
NED!! CEA 2.3
CEA 5.8 idk wtf is up with that, but everything else is clear!
CEA 3.7 make up your damn mind...
CEA 1.5 that's a new low!

horizon

Postby horizon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:12 am

I've been asking for years to be able to use the newer preps that don't require you to drink massive amounts of foul liquid. I keep getting the "GoLYTELY iS tHe BesT PreP" excuse.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 am

horizon wrote:I've been asking for years to be able to use the newer preps that don't require you to drink massive amounts of foul liquid. I keep getting the "GoLYTELY iS tHe BesT PreP" excuse.

Because the actual DOCTORS have never had to take that shit themselves !!!!! :twisted:
I posted 4-5 years ago IF the actual effin' DOCS had to use this crap .....
NOBODY would ever have to use it again !!!!
There are so many more HUMANE preps

I told my GP once
"do NOT ever prescribe me anything with -LYTELY in the name "
and then I handed him a list of 3-4 OTHER preps
'nuff said !

Cheers all, and dare I say ....
" hope everything comes out alright ! " :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

Yes I will go now
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:12 pm

CRguy wrote:
horizon wrote:I've been asking for years to be able to use the newer preps that don't require you to drink massive amounts of foul liquid. I keep getting the "GoLYTELY iS tHe BesT PreP" excuse.

Because the actual DOCTORS have never had to take that shit themselves !!!!! :twisted:
I posted 4-5 years ago IF the actual effin' DOCS had to use this crap .....
NOBODY would ever have to use it again !!!!
There are so many more HUMANE preps

I told my GP once
"do NOT ever prescribe me anything with -LYTELY in the name "
and then I handed him a list of 3-4 OTHER preps
'nuff said !

Cheers all, and dare I say ....
" hope everything comes out alright ! " :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

Yes I will go now
CRguy

I agree with you CR. I told the doctor what preps I've had and I won't use them again. I don't care what they are familiar with, or what insurance will cover. If you can't do the prep and get it down, it won't do any good! It can't be that hard to make a prep that's easy to drink, or I keep hoping for an iv.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 pm

A few years back, my surgeon (she does my scopes) told me that the doctors in the surgery/GI clinic all had to do the preps to understand what the patient was going through. That was an eye opener for her. I NEVER am given the nasty stuff (although none of them are particularly pleasant). I did love the pills....even though there were 28 of them to take throughout the day. I'm now totally on board with the Miralax/Dulcolax combo. Heck the 'end result' is all the same....as long as you're clean inside....that's all that matters!
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:44 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:A few years back, my surgeon (she does my scopes) told me that the doctors in the surgery/GI clinic all had to do the preps to understand what the patient was going through.

That is a very good approach Jaynee
BUTT...sadly not all that common I am afraid

and YES ... we all just hope
" everything comes OUT alright ... in the end ! " :oops: :mrgreen:

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”