Peristalsis/tenismus pain 5 months post takedown

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gardenerj

Peristalsis/tenismus pain 5 months post takedown

Postby Gardenerj » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi all -

I’ve been dealing with some terrible peristalsis pain and discomfort, I’m 5 months post takedown surgery. It feels like I have to go to the bathroom and the contractions are painful. The only thing that helps is smoking a fairly high thc cannabis (CBD or 1:1 oils internally don’t help). I wanted to see if people experienced this discomfort and pain. Some days are better then others, but it’s still uncomfortable every day.

Also, does anyone know if the following words are all pointing to the same symptom?

Peristalsis
Tenismus
Motility

Thanks for the help.

Rock_Robster

Re: Peristalsis/tenismus pain 5 months post takedown

Postby Rock_Robster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:26 am

This is a great question - I’ve never fully understood it myself either. I’ve had a ULAR and recent ileostomy reversal about a month ago, and every day for a few hours after eating I get a very low aching feeling. It isn’t so much a need to go (like tenesmus sounds like), but more like the muscles are stuck in the “going” position (although there is nothing to actually pass). The term ‘spasm’ doesn’t seem right as the muscles aren’t actually contracted - I can manually do a pelvic floor contraction for some momentary relief, but it doesn’t last and it’s like the muscles haven’t learned to re-contract themselves. I’ve found using Buscopan and ibuprofen gives mild relief; I also take Imodium and fibre before food. A hot shower is good, as is sitting/laying down. Standing up is the worst. It does seem to happen after my first meal of the day so it could be linked to the gastrocolic reflex triggering peristalsis.

Anyway I’m yet to find a great solution but just wanted to add my experience.

Cheers
Rob

PS: to answer your other question, peristalsis and motility are both normal functions of healthy bowel to move waste toward the rectum. Tenesmus is apparently a cramping feeling of needing to defecate, or incomplete defecation.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

Clasica

Postby Clasica » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 pm

I am having pain and can’t figure it out either. I had ileostomy reversal on 6/24/20. Stage 3 rectal cancer with LAR on 4/24/20. I have significant pain when I “go”. It is in my anus - feels like a knife. Lasts for hours. I go over and over again and it seems like days before I am empty. I barely eat to avoid the pain. I also get spasms...I do have ulcers on the outside of my anus. I have a colonoscopy in October to see if there is something going on inside. I feel this constant pressure and then the stabbing. I hate it. Anyone else have this?

47 yo Female
8/14/19 - Stage 3 Rectal
8 rounds of Folfox
12/2019 - Radiation
4/24/2020 - LAR - -Clean margins
6/24/2020 - Illeostomy reversal
10/7/2020 - Colonoscopy
46 year old Female
RC Upper
Adenocarcinoma
T4aN?M0 - Stage TBD (II or III)
Involvement of Peritoneal Reflection
DX: 8.14.19
Started FOLFOX: 9.1.19 (6-8 rounds)
Chemo/radiation 4-6 weeks Date TBD
Surgery Date TBD

taexali

Postby taexali » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm

I had similar, but worse, symptoms one year after my ileostomy takedown, and they were caused by an abdominal adhesion, and I was hospitalized for two days.

The ER doctor told me that the scar tissue from the ileostomy was the source of the problem, and my intestines had closed up.

I had become careless with my diet, and something that I ate triggered the adhesion.

So, to minimize the problem recurring, I then only ate a very restricted diet of Ensures, bananas, avocados, thin soups, etc. for years.

I had to slowly discover over time what foods were safefor me to eat, and what were not.

I didn’t want to miss work again, so I became very paranoiac about what I ate; and the problem never reappeared.

Try the Ensures/Bananas diet for starters, and then, month by month, very carefully add “safe” foods to your diet.

After a year or so you can try to be more adventurous in your diet, but, if you have a colonic J-pouch, you must avoid getting constipated as this can also cause nasty intestinal problems.

Take your time with this, and be careful with your diet.

I hope that this works for you.

74 yr old male
Dx 7/11/2007 at age 60 Stage 4a rectal with mets to lung
8/2007 to 10/2007 - radiation + chemo
12/2007 - LAR + ileo
1/2008 to 10/2008 - chemo: oxaliplatin 7 sessions, then one chemo vacation to deal with a work-related priority, then 7 more oxaliplatin sessions. A total of 14.
11/2008 - ileo reversal
5/2009 - left lower lobectomy
11/2009 - hospitalized with severe abdominal pain caused by an adhesion (painful cramps + fecal vomiting)

10+ years NED
Male 77 yrs.
DX 7/11/2007 at age 61 with Stage IVa Rectal with mets to lung
8/2007 to 9/2007 Chemo (Fufa?) & Radiation
12/2007 LAR + Colonic J-Pouch + Ileo
1/2008 to 9/2008 Chemo (Oxaliplatin) 15 Sessions!
11/2008 Ileo reversal
5/2009 Left lower lobectomy, with two(?) lymph nodes removed.
11/2022 Still NED
01/21 Skin Cancer- ugh!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”