Referral for colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
andrea1971

Referral for colonoscopy

Postby andrea1971 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi there,

I am 48 and yesterday I saw my doctor and got a referral for a colonoscopy for blood streaked stools. I am also very gassy and lost 6 lbs in a month. I am terrified of having cancer. Had not had any big health issues so far.

Thank you,

Andrea

JJH

Re: Referral for colonoscopy

Postby JJH » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:45 pm

"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm

My advice is to try not to get ahead of the data. Right now you know you have some symptoms. Of what, you do not know. The colonoscopy should tell you a lot. Good for you for taking action.

Come back and update us.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi and welcome,

Try not to worry, yes I know easier said than done. For what it is worth, I was 46 yrs old when I was diagnosed, stage III and had no symptoms. That was 16 years ago. I'm very much alive and kicking today. Truth be know, your symptoms could be caused by MANY things, cancer is JUST one possibility. So avoid Dr. Google, you can diagnosed yourself with anything with Dr Gooigle. IF you do get a diagnoses, then look at Dr. google, during the mean time, ask any and all questions here.

For what it is worth, I went through a recent cancer scare. Last fall, one day after power walking I noticed a few drops of blood in underwear. My first thought was bladder cancer. Yes I checked, radiation puts me at a higher risk for bladder cancer. That was it, called primary doctor, nothing more. When DH got home, told him. His first comment, avoid Dr. Google. Yes I did, but checked for radiation as a possible cause.

Saw primary a few days later, yes blood in urine, try to avoid Dr. google, yes I already know the drill. Sent me to Urologist. After several tests, bladder is fine, BUTT there is something on my left kidney. In early January, I had a special procedure. The good news, no cancer, just some non cancerous blip, regarding my few drops of blood that I passed for several weeks, my new normal. With my radiation history, as many people are beating cancer, more people are dealing with this new normal.

Moral of story, while cancer could be a possibility, it's also ONE PROBABILITY out of many. So please don't assume it's cancer, and again AVOID Dr. Google until you have a firm diagnoses.

Hope this helps, please keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”