Local chemo - TACE?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AlexandraZ

Local chemo - TACE?

Postby AlexandraZ » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I really hope some of you have some input for me and my boyfriend. We are in Germany now to see Dr. Vogl, who is an interventional radiologist. We were hoping he could ablate some of Jesper's tumors, but he says he doesn't dare to at this point. Since Jesper has 800-1000 small mets in his lungs, he says it's too risky. If everything goes fine it would be okay, but he says in case of infection or complications we'll have "lost the race". So he recommends local chemo (TACE - transarterial chemoembolization) , first to the right lung, then the liver, and then the left lung (in sequence of the condition of his organs - his right lung is the worst off). He says the side effects are a lot less than with systemic chemo, while achieving a much higher concentration of chemo in the organ. That sounds good, but I haven't heard much about this treatment before. People come here from all over the world, as it's apparently not accessible in many places.

Ablation may be an option later on, but first he wants us to do local chemo to shrink the tumors.

A lot of you are so knowledgeable in all things cancer. We find it so difficult to navigate this jungle, as doctors tend to claim that their way is the only way. It's hard to get an objective response. We are still going to MSK, as a note, but we haven't heard back from them yet, and I don't want to delay treatment further! What would you guys do?
Boyfriend 28yo dx February 2019, CEA 70,480
Stage 4 CRC with multiple mets to liver & lungs
KRAS, NRAS, BRAF wild type, MSS
12x FOLFIRI + Vectibix
September 2019 CEA 210, 60% reduction in size, chemo break!

NHMike

Re: Local chemo - TACE?

Postby NHMike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:19 pm

I have never heard of this before so I had a look for articles and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315076/

It's not completely descriptive of how the procedure(s) are done but it gives you an idea of the mechanism and how it works.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

stu

Postby stu » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:25 pm

A previous poster many years ago went to Germany and I think it might have been the same Doctor . He certainly used TACE but not in isolation . He used many different components and to be honest I could not quite unpack the approach as he had various doctors and several plans . He had a lot of wins along the way and treated the disease for a long time . Now I think he may just have been ahead of his time . He was gracious in the face of criticism and unstoppable in his pursuits of a cure . Many of them were in their infancy .
As I said I can’t remember in isolation how he did with TACE . It was years ago . However if you wish to try and unpack it to see if it’s the same treatment and Doctor he blogged under the name
Petelostatsea . I remember from his blog that he was possibly dyslexic and it was evident in his writings but his content was well recorded . He would have loved it to come to the aid of someone else . I say that as a fellow dyslexic and mean no criticism.
Be interesting to see how some of his treatments have developed over time . We had another man who insisted the immune system was the solution . Now with the advent of immunotherapy I think of him often .
All the very best with the treatment .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi Alex,

Good you saw Dr Vogl and great to hear hear he had a proposal for Jesper. TACE to the liver is fairly common; I’m not sure though how the local control/response rates compare to something like HAI or Y90. I don’t see it being so commonly offered in the major centres (unlike these other two) so this does make me wonder. Some research needed there I guess (esp if MSK is offering HAI).

I have never heard of TACE being done for CRC mets to the lungs; nor could I find any info online. It does seem to have had some success with primary lung cancer however. I wonder if it’s worth asking Dr Vogl if he has any data supporting the effectiveness of this? I guess if it’s safe and the only option on the table for the lungs then perhaps worth trying.

Sounds like in any case the sequencing between the liver and lungs is going to be important. Just personally and overall I think if I were given the option of HAI I would take this over liver TACE, but I realise this doesn’t address the lung issue so a combination may be needed.

Cheers
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

CRguy

Re: slight O/T reply here

Postby CRguy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:17 am

stu wrote: he blogged under the name Petelostatsea

You can check for Peter Trayhurn's posts on CTalk under the username pete43lost_at_sea although he also posted on a number of other forums with variants of that name.

stu wrote:We had another man who insisted the immune system was the solution . Now with the advent of immunotherapy I think of him often .

I believe Marc is who you are referring to, known here as lohidoc

We had many off forum conversations and contacts with local researchers who were trying to follow up on his ideas concerning
Dr. William Coley's so-named Coley's toxins

His blog marcdu4 Cancer and other things remains online, and should be considered essential reading for anyone who wishes to "know" an incredible human being
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

stu

Postby stu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:53 am

That’s the one I was thinking off ! Thanks .

Hope everything is going well in Germany .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”