Just letting you know!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
julie

Just letting you know!

Postby julie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:47 am

Hi all, well i just got back from having my sigmoidoscopy, the nurse kept going on about IBS & how young I was :? , then she found 2 polyps, just got to wait for the results now & have to go for a follow up colonscopy.
Feel a bit dizzy now so going for a lie down.

Luv & hugs Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:17 am

Julie-

Thank you so much for keeping us posted. I'm so glad that you're going to get a colonoscopy! (Not glad about the polyps, but if that's what it's going to take to get a scope, it's good!)

Good luck!

Thinking of you!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:49 pm

I am so happy to hear that you are being proactive in the management of your health. I hope that your colonoscopy procedure is unremarkable. I will continue to have you in my prayers.

julie

Postby julie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:45 am

Thankyou so much for your reply`s :) im feeling much better now, altho im not looking forward to the colonoscopy as i dont cope with pain that much (well thats how it felt to me cos im such a wimp!) :roll: lol, but they reasured me that i will have a higher dose of sedative :) I guess what im trying to say is If I can do it ANYONE can :lol:

Anyway thankyou again.

Luv & hugs Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Erika

colonoscopy

Postby Erika » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi Julie-
Wow, 2 polyps. What was the reaction of the nurses and physician after telling you you were too young?

You should be knocked out for the colonoscopy and thus not feel much. If you are awake and uncomfortable, be sure to say something. Either a nurse or anesthesiologist should be right there with you and can adjust the dose. However, keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to sedation. I wake up instantly, others are very groggy and don't remember the doctor talking to them afterwards.
And, FYI, if you'd like to see your colon on the tv screen, ask that they back off the sedatives to wake you up as the doctor is bringing the scope out of the colon. It's typically not painful, and how often do you get to see the inside?
Best of luck,
Erika

julie

Postby julie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Hi Erika,

The reaction from the nurses & physician were of sheer embarressment they couldnt look me in the face, I felt quite satisfied that they found something (which might sound weired) but I had been telling them for years that there was something wrong but they just put it down to IBS, when they asked me question`s (about bleeding & so forth) they just said oh IBS can do that sometimes! They made me feel stupid :oops: so now I feel like saying "In your face" (which might seem weired too) but sorry thats how I feel.

As for the colonoscopy I am trying not to get myself too worked up for it, as I know thats what I have to do to make them listen to me & not make me feel like an idiot! I did watch the sigmoidoscopy on the screen which seemed to make me relax a bit more. So Im just gonna do it! If it means the only way to sort my health out then so be it :) hopefully they wont find anything else now but at least now I can say I DO NOT have IBS :)

Thankyou for your support xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Love & Hugs, Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi Julie-
I just had my 6th or 7th colonoscopy a few weeks ago. I am happy to say they are getting easier every time. Just remember, once you have the prep done, you are over the hardest part. Truthfully, my sigmoidoscopies have been more painful than my colonoscopies. I've never been given medicine for the sigmoids, so colonoscopies seem like pie when you get some nerve settling and sleepy drugs. Besides, as mentioned by Erika, watching it is very cool. Maybe they'll even give you pictures! Don't worry about it, you'll be fine! Good luck!
Maggie
PS- I was diagnosed with colon cancer right around my 21st birthday, 5 years later, I still hear "you're too young!" It may be the most annoying thing someone tells you, but you get used to it!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”