CBD oil and CEA markers

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Chickspeed

CBD oil and CEA markers

Postby Chickspeed » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:14 am

Would 0 THC CBD oil affect CEA markers on blood test? I have a CEA test coming soon and just curious.
12/15/2016 Mod Diff tumour 5-6 cm 10-12 cm fr AV T3 tumour cea 1.4
12/29/2016 CT no spread ln normal
1/19/2017 MRI confirms mass and shows 3 enlarged LN (suspected to be infection draining)
3/6/2017 25 sessions chemoradiation
6/20/2017 LAR with temp loop ileo
7/10/2017 Path 20mm margins tumour 0.1 CM with microscopic invasion of submucosa
aug-dec 2017 6 rnds xeloda
1/9/2018 CT all clear
1/18/2018 Colonoscopy clear
3/27/2018 ileo reversal
CEA continues to be normal

juliej

Re: CBD oil and CEA markers

Postby juliej » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:18 pm

That's a very good question!

I did some research and the jury is still out in terms of CBD reacting with lab tests. CBD can increase the level in your blood of the blood thinner coumadin/warfarin and diclofenac. There are also some studies showing a reaction with other medications -- certain statin, bp, anti-anxiety, and corticosteroids drugs, along with some drugs that treat abnormal heart rhythms. In those cases, it appears the CBD increases the amount of drug in your body, similar to the mechanism that grapefruit juice uses with the same set of drugs.

However, more clinical studies are needed to check whether these CBD/drug interactions warrant changes to the co-administered drugs.

Soo.... my advice would be to err on the side of caution and hold back from using CBD oil for a week before your CEA test. Then you can go back to taking it. You should also let your onc know you're taking it so she/he can track its effects.

Hope this helps!
Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Chickspeed

Postby Chickspeed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:45 am

I can't seem to find much at all on the subject. I tried CBD for a few says to see if it worked, i have inflammation from arthritis but I have taken it for 6 days and find now it's mediocre at best so I switched back to tylenol and advil and grin & bear it. The price of cbd just doesn't justify what is now an average response to pain. I did have one dose of about 6mg CBD when I went for blood work. I guess we will see how it pans out at my dr visit at the end of the month. I don't track exact numbers on CEA i just get a thumbs up or down from the DR, I don't need to spend my time obsessing over small movements in numbers.

thanks for the reply!

here is what i found on CBD and colerectal cancer. If anyone reads this please don't go nuts and think this is a substitute for the tried and true of radiation and chemo!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324399.php
12/15/2016 Mod Diff tumour 5-6 cm 10-12 cm fr AV T3 tumour cea 1.4
12/29/2016 CT no spread ln normal
1/19/2017 MRI confirms mass and shows 3 enlarged LN (suspected to be infection draining)
3/6/2017 25 sessions chemoradiation
6/20/2017 LAR with temp loop ileo
7/10/2017 Path 20mm margins tumour 0.1 CM with microscopic invasion of submucosa
aug-dec 2017 6 rnds xeloda
1/9/2018 CT all clear
1/18/2018 Colonoscopy clear
3/27/2018 ileo reversal
CEA continues to be normal

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:38 pm

I think this is really a topical and interesting discussion which you have started here. We need to find out MORE info !!!

The following input is from ConsumerLab.com Answers
Which I find to be a reliable source of information.

Side effects and safety concerns:
CBD can cause side effects and interact with certain medications and conditions, although these effects have typically been reported only with very high daily intake, i.e., hundreds of milligrams daily.

High daily doses of CBD (20 mg per kg of body weight, i.e., hundreds of milligrams) may cause decreased appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, somnolence, and abnormal results on liver-function tests (Devinsky, New Eng J Med 2017; Thiele, Lancet 2018).

CBD at a dose of 300 mg has been shown to worsen symptoms of Parkinson's disease (Consroe, Int J Neurosci, 1986).

CBD should be used with caution with sedative and sleep-inducing medications, as it may enhance their effects.

CBD can increase blood serum levels of antiepleptic drugs (Gaston, Epilepsia 2017).

CBD may increase the blood-thinning effects of warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) likely because CBD competes for the same liver enzymes that break down warfarin and other drugs. This was observed in a man with post-stroke epilepsy taking warfarin: His INR (a measure of how long it takes blood to clot) began increasing several weeks after starting CBD (Epidiolex, Greenwich Biosciences, Inc.) for his seizures. His CBD dosing started with several hundred milligrams daily and increased to over 1,000 mg, at which point his warfarin dose had been reduced by approximately 30% (Grayson, Epilepsy Behav Case Rep 2017).

And a further caution from Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic Healthy Lifestyle
Another cause for concern is the unreliability of the purity and dosage of CBD in products. A recent study of 84 CBD products bought online showed that more than a quarter of the products contained less CBD than labeled. In addition, THC was found in 18 products.

If you plan to use products containing CBD, talk to your doctor.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1761 ... medication
already lists a few serious and moderate interactions with existing drugs, by the recently FDA approved product.

Anything which affects the liver directly can have an impact on blood tests.... so I might guesstimate that CEA might be an issue ???

Purity, contamination, concentration and interaction issues would be major concerns moving forward with any CBD product or derivative.
JMO

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Mississippi

Postby Mississippi » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Hi. During the late summer/fall of 2011 my wife was suffering from stage 4 colon cancer. After a year unsuccessfully on two different chemotherapies we embarked on an alternative therapy using cannabis oil mixed with coconut oil (to make it more bioavailable) taken orally. The cannabis oil was high in thc and very little cbd due to the strain I was working with.
Her CEA began at 28.0 and after one month of gradually increasing dosing we were able to bring it down to 16.0 Further intermittent dosing brought it down to 11.4 after several months. I believe the activation of the CB2 cannabinoid receptor was responsible for this. Presently I am working on dosing using beta caryophyllene rather than cannabis to get around the psychotropic issue. Beta caryophyllene actually binds better to the CB2 receptor than THC does so I am trying to find out if it is also able to reduce CEA levels.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”