PET/CT combo questions?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

PET/CT combo questions?

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 pm

I have a PET/CT combo scan coming up on the 2nd. I have had 1 PET and several CTs but never the combo. I did some reading. I know it's one machine, (I believe my original PET, over a yr ago, was done on one capable of doing combo). I know about the radioactive dye and wait time after, etc

My questions: (it's to check my lung things), so is that done without the contrast drink and injection done for just CTs? Also, my results apt is on the 10th which is 8 days after, all my other CT results were 2 days after, not sure if this is standard or my onc has other things between and it's just when the next opening was.

I'm getting anxious and nervous

If anyone has had the combo, any insight would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: no contrast drink
Last edited by Nik Colon on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques

Re: PET/CT combo questions?

Postby Jacques » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 am

Nik Colon wrote:I have a PET/CT combo scan coming up on the 2nd. I have had 1 PET and several CTs but never the combo. I did some reading. I know it's one machine, (I believe my original PET, over a yr ago, was done on one capable of doing combo). I know about the radioactive dye and wait time after, etc

My questions: (it's to check my lung things), so is that done without the contrast drink and injection done for just CTs? Also, my results apt is on the 10th which is 8 days after, all my other CT results were 2 days after, not sure if this is standard or my onc has other things between and it's just when the next opening was.

I'm getting anxious and nervous

If anyone has had the combo, any insight would be much appreciated.

• ".. so is that done without the contrast drink and injection done for just CTs? "
      You can look at the document below and see what they recommend as contrast for scanning lungs and thorax. In all of my cases so far they have done the contrast drink but that was because the contrast drink is used mainly for outlining the intestine, and they were looking for evidence of local recurrences there. In your case, if they are only interested in getting SUV information on your lung "thingy", then they may only need to use the radioactive dye (I'm not sure of this, though.)
      http://apps.snm.org/docs/CME/PresenterItems/EventID_85/PresenterItemTypeID_1/1.%20Shreve%20-%20430.pdf

• "...my results apt is on the 10th which is 8 days after..., all my other CT results were 2 days after"
      All my PET/CT scan reports were available about 4 hours after the scan. I think availability of the report may depend on the workload of the radiologist, but even if the report is available right away, they may not want to give the patient access to it until the oncologist has had time to review it. Note: There are many, many difficulties associated with interpreting PET/CT scans. You can read about some of these difficulties by reading the articles that come up when you do a Google search with either of the two following sets of keywords:

PITFALLS IN PET/CT INTERPRETATION

PET/CT IMAGING ARTIFACTS
    • "I'm getting anxious and nervous ... "
      Note: You can't afford to be nervous, fidgety, or restless during the PET/CT scan. This is because the procedure involves two separate phases that must be merged together later into a single image, and the patient must not move position at all between the CT phase and the PET phase, otherwise any PET "hot spots" may not show up in the right place when the CT overlay is positioned over the PET results.

... It is important to remain as still as possible during the scan as movement can result in reduced image quality and the images may be blurry. Therefore, if you are uncomfortable after being positioned on the bed please tell the nurse or technologist...

If you are having a PET-CT, the CT scan is performed first and takes less than 2 minutes. The PET scan takes approximately 30 minutes but the time will vary depending on the regions of your body being scanned.

Reference: http://www.insideradiology.com.au/pages/view.php?T_id=16

Good luck on your PET/CT on the 2nd! I'll be wishing you the best possible outcome.

PS: If possible, try to find out the name and model of the PET/CT scanner that they will be using. Some models are more sophisticated than others. Also, do you know the name and model of the CT scanner that was used on your previous CT scans? The scan resolutions might be different on the different models

recruiter
Facebook Username: Bill Wilson

Postby recruiter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I just did. I had the barium and tracer, two days after chemo.

And I haven't been off the toilet since. All the crap in my system, including chemo on Wednesday, has produced significant diarrhea.
DX Stage 4 2/16 with lung mets
4/16 CT, PET show "marked improvement" in size and number of lung mets, rectal tumor.
8/16 "Great report" from scans, lung mets continue to shrink in size and number, CEA 1.6, cancer "in remission" but surgeon believes tumor remains too large.
10/16 Xrays for constipation problems reveal tumor occupies 25 percent of rectal canal: Occupied 80 percent upon diagnosis 2/16
12/16 Back on Avastin; tumor can be removed, but need better margins.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Thank you both. I don't know the name of the machine I had previous or this next one. The current one will be done at my current location since I switched. I have never had issues with the contrast or dyes or anything. As far as me being anxious and nervous, it's just I want it done already and the results, I am ok in the machine so no worries there.

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I have always had PET/CT. Always had the glucose tracer and never had the contrast stuff. After the scans, I always walked out with the CD and my surgeon always has contacted me within 24 hrs
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Pet/ct I had it in Feb. it wasn't a big deal. Very similar to CT scan but no IV? If I rember correctly. Please get the CD.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks alpha and Andrea :) I am going to ask for the CD also. I have a couple from previous CTs, but most of the time I forget to ask :roll:

Jacques

PET/CT combo guidelines

Postby Jacques » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:49 am

Nik Colon wrote:I have a PET/CT combo scan coming up on the 2nd...

Just a reminder -- For 24 hours prior to a PET/CT exam, the patient is required to follow strict guidelines. Make sure that you have detailed instructions from your hospital about the guidelines that you need to follow. Good luck on Monday!

INSTRUCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR PET/CT SCAN
http://westsideregional.com/util/documents/PET-CTpatientprepform.pdf

Buckeye

Postby Buckeye » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:55 am

I only got the tracer injection, definitely get the cd. You can put in your computer and look at the images yourself before you give it to your Doctor if you wish. Good luck and I will say a prayer for you.
Dx 10/20/15 stage 1 T1N0M0 1.3cmx1.1cmx1cm low grade ( well to moderately differentiated) Rectal cancer age 47
Loving Husband and father of two girls age 19 & 15 Sole income provider
CEA <0.5
CT, MRI and PET show no metastatic spread
LAR Laparoscopic TME 11/30/15 with Illo
Pathology clean no lymph node or vascular involvement. Confirmed Stage1
No chemo/rad cancer free now and forever.
Illo reversal 01/26/16

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you both. Yes, I have instructions I will follow.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”