jsbsf wrote:Quick follow up since the surgeon called us today. She told us there is no urgency, a relief.
The next step will be the MRI and an ultrasound with a biopsy that will go deeper into the location where the high grade dysplasia was discovered on the surface. That will give us a better indication about whether cancer is present.
If cancer is present, surgery will be necessary. If no cancer is discovered, he will have the option to continue with W&W or to schedule the surgery anyway.
We have decided in either case to go with the surgery. It will result in a permanent colostomy. Over the past 3 years there has been a lot of anxiety and learning. Originally he was strongly opposed to a permanent bag. Now he’s comfortable with making that adjustment.
Knowing what we know now, and having time to adapt to the idea of a permanent bag, it is a no-brainer. We both feel very fortunate that he still has that option, and can potentially enjoy many cancer-free years.
Our plan is to abandon W&W, and the reason is that high grade dysplasia was discovered (accidentally). We believe cancer is imminent if it has not already begun.
MadMed wrote:ok, so i'm officially on W&W. Scans and sigmoidoscopies every 4 months. Surgeon told me today that highest odds of recurrence are in the first year, so i'll be expecting it. For now, it's good to avoid surgery and be ok. I can't imagine being lucky enough to get away with it, but at least my team of doctors supports it and has a program to manage it. I'll be ready if it goes sideways.
Users browsing this forum: pearl and 4 guests