survivor since 1991

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bomberbob

survivor since 1991

Postby bomberbob » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:44 pm

I won't bore you with a long story. If anybody wants the unabridged version, I will correspond via E mail.
Colon cancer is all thru my family ancestry. Its a gene thing, the University of Iowa has located my "renegade gene", we are all going to go down as a family in november and talk to the doctor (so all my kids know what they are up against).
When my dad died from colon cancer, I went immediately in to get checked. The doctor poo pooed me, telling me that I was way too young for cancer. I got a quick check in his office, and I thought I was OK. A couple of years later, it almost took my life. I am 48 now, and still clean, but I go back every year because with the gene, it will try and come back.
If you think something is wrong, I would suggest that you get a second opinion. I should have, and didn't. I did the ileostomy for a few months, and then went back in for a resection. They took the whole colon out. Soft stools? Live with it. I applaude this site, before today the only people I knew that had colon cancer was my family (and they are all dead). Now I have others to gain courage from, and maybe you can gain courage from me.
Be persistent. Be brave. Be empathetic to others. Be a survivor.

maryv

Postby maryv » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your abridged version Bob. It is always nice to hear from the long term survivors. I am right at 1 year. My daughters are all trying to get checked and having to fight the doc's. They are being told the same thing.....too young.

It also runs in my family.....just my siblings tho. We think maybe an uncle on my Mom's side may have died from this but it was so long ago we aren't quite sure. Three of six siblings all have it and we are all (so far) survivors. The oldest sister is a 15 year survivor. She is my inspiration!

Again thanks and congrat's on your survivorship!

Mary

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:25 am

Mary,

Congratulations on your SURVIVORSHIP! I encourage you to be proactive in the management of your health. For the youngsters in your family, insist that they are screened. Period. If the physician(s) refuse, fire them and find a doctor that will screen them! In addition to routine screening, you might consider genetic testing for your family. There are a number of resources available. Talk to your oncologist about genetic testing. You may visit www.myriad.com for more information. Thank you for your words of encouragement and I hope that you will keep me posted on your continued wellness! Please know that you are in my prayers.

bomberbob

Re: survivor since 1991

Postby bomberbob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 pm

I am still alive.
I got an email from somebody asking for a post. I go in every year and get checked, and just about every year I get a polyp or two burned off. The first doctor I had didn't seem to take my predicament seriously, so I got a new doctor who cares.
We got our kids checked, so now we know which ones are "normal", and which ones are at increased risk. Its a gene thing.
I am still open for email if you want. I will tell you I have no experience with chemo. The doctors told me it would be a waste of expensive chemicals if they gave me chemo, so I opted out. Apparently for me (so far), it was a good decision, but please do NOT base your decision on chemo/no chemo off of my decision or my results.
I am not good with words, I am just an ordinary 50+ guy, with grandkids. I can tell you this.
1. Do not give up. If you have cancer, it does not take vacations, holidays, nor does it work an 8 hour shift 5 days a week. It is in it for the long haul, and so you must be just as resolute as your foe.
2. Find a good doctor. Get a second opinion. Don't look for a doctor who will tell you what you want to hear, because if you do, you will not be around long to listen. Find a doctor who will tell you the truth, and then map out a strategy to fight. You need to know the truth so you know what weapons you need to employ to win.
3. Chemo is rough on you. Its even rougher on the cancer. If you say after a chemo treatment that "If I have to take one more treatment, I am going to die". Remember that your enemy, your own personal tumor is saying the same exact thing, but it probably is dying. You don't have to do chemo forever (although it may seem that way). All you have to do is last longer than the cancer. It reminds me of running track in high school. As long as you can hear the enemy gasping and panting behind you, you have to keep running. Refer to my item #1 above.
4. Form a support network. Friends, family, loved ones. This is crucial.
Consider this. If I had rolled over and given up back in 1991, I would not have seen the grandkids I have now. I get down on the floor and play Barbie dolls with them. Why on earth would a 50 year old man play with Barbie dolls? Because the grandkids like to, and I can. I am still alive.
I do not have grand words of wisdom to share. All I know is I refuse to give up like my father did, and let the cancer take me (without a fight). No I am not superman, I cannot stop speeding bullets, I am not a nut. But I am a survivor.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 am

Bomberbob,

Great and eloquent post! Thank you from all of us and know that you are an inspiration to many. Just out of curiosity, what stage were you when you were diagnosed??? Keep on having fun with the grandkids - oh how I envy you!! I wish my kids were hurry up and give me just one but patience is a virtue I must practice!

Glad to hear that everything is still going well for you and that you are remaining vigilant.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:23 am

Bomberbob, I emailed you and asked you to write. I sit here teary eyed because your post WAS so eloquent and from the heart. We hear a lot of sad things on here and your story is one of strength, courage and not giving up.

Thank you for this post, I will appreciate it. If you have any more to say, feel free to email me back.

Thanks again,
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am

BomberBob

I too have a genetic mutation. I am 6 years post Stage III colon cancer and 14 years post Stage I endometrial cancer. Once again the time is approaching for that yearly colonoscopy to make sure there are no new cancers developing, cause genetic colon cancer likes to return and make a repeat performance in a new section of the colon. I see you no longer need colonoscopies since the entire colon has been removed. I read that at ASCO a presentation was made regarding a stool DNA test that can accurately predict the presence of gastric and colon cancers. It is probably 5 or more years away from being perfected and made available to the public, but it would be nice if it could replace the yearly colonoscopy. I assume you have been keeping up with the other recommended testing such as yearly cytology for renal pelvic cancers and every 4 or 5 years endoscopy for small intestine or stomach cancers, and PSAs since it may also be related cancer in the genetic complex.

If this has been your only cancer, then you have been very lucky, since I know several other people with Lynch Syndrome that have been through 3 or more different cancers over their lifetime.

Stay well.
Jazztoo

ADKer

Postby ADKer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am

BomberBob -

Thank you for your post. I am also crying as I read it but the encouragement to fight on is good motivation. I am Stage IV, very advanced at diagnosis in 2/08. I am much better now but not yet NED. After a while it becomes more difficult to stay ever vigilant. Thank you again.

Russian27

Postby Russian27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I am crying too. Thank you Bob for a very nice post. I am stage IV and it's very hard to read about fallen fellows. It felt very good to read your post. Thank you...
Dx at 39(12/2008), Stage IV, omentum mets,
0/16 lymph nodes positive,
right colectomy 1/2009,
FOLFOX + avastin 2/2009-7/2009
Thank You Colonclub! 2015

girlnextdoor

Postby girlnextdoor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Bomberbob,

You are GREAT!

Lisa
Husband, age 52, DX RC 8/2007
Stage III
5FU,Rad
Surgery (APR) 12/2007
FOLFOX
2 lung nodules 5/2008
HNPCC postive (MSH2 mutation)
Mets to lung 5/2009,lymph nodes
FOLFIRI, Avastin 7/2009
Xeloda 1/2010
Four children (18,15,12,11)

Lisa, loving wife

caligirl2

Postby caligirl2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 am

Wow, great story! Thank you for sharing ~ God Bless You!
48 yr old hubby, Dx IIIC Sigmoid CC 11/2/07
17 of 19 Nodes Pos
Colectomy 11/26/07
Oxil & Xeloda 1/08 - 6/08
CT 11/08 NED
6/18/09 Liver mets & Cancer in Adrenal Gland
6/24/09 Laprascopic Liver Resection/Left Adrenalectomy
CT 10/09 NED

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks for the words of inspiration Bomber!! There are days when I feel so overwhelmed by all the side effects....but your words do ring true.

bless you and I wish you many years of NEDness...
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Postby live2jett » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Bomberbob ...YOU ROCK thank you for the great post... that is a great testimony..oh yeah!! I love a grandpa who plays with barbies:) :wink:
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

bomberbob

Postby bomberbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am

I am still alive. Checked every year. Doc takes the polyps before they do harm. DO NOT GIVE UP. Barbie dolls with the grandkids are gone. They are driving cars now. I repeat. Do not give up.
Bomberbob

rtcasper

Postby rtcasper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 am

I love this post bomberman! So glad you're still strong, and thanks for checking back in and encouraging everyone here. Much future luck to you!
By the glory, by the grace, by the strength of God, I will be made whole.

43-M
Aug 3, 18-colonoscopy, 5cm mass 12cm from AV rectal cancer
Aug 16-MRI
Aug 17-CT,chest and pelvis
CEA-.99-likely not a good marker
Clinical DX-T2/T3n1 -3cm mass, 13.5 from AV-might be colon? - let surgeon make determination
Sept 10-14 radiation
Sept 25-CR lap surgery, temp loop ileostomy
Oct 2-path stage pT1N0M0-no chemo recommended
Jan 8-stoma takedown
Jan-April- C diff
May-Fecal matter transplant
Sept-Clean scan NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”