Hernia questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

Hernia questions

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:30 am

S I guess I have a small umbilical hernia. Does anyone know if it's ok to do situps and such with it? I just don't want to make it worse and I like to do sit ups and stretches as my main exercise

CLD

Re: Hernia questions

Postby CLD » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi Nik, I have a large umbilical hernia that developed after my fourth pregnancy. I had 2 pregnancies after. Doc told me the hernia is pretty severe. I walk an hour a day, do sit ups, and pick up my 2 year old (even though I probably shouldn't!). Ask your doc but I'm sure it wont be a problem!
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:53 pm

CLD wrote:Hi Nik, I have a large umbilical hernia that developed after my fourth pregnancy. I had 2 pregnancies after. Doc told me the hernia is pretty severe. I walk an hour a day, do sit ups, and pick up my 2 year old (even though I probably shouldn't!). Ask your doc but I'm sure it wont be a problem!

Thanks, I will

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:11 pm

I had one since birth and it stuck out during my pregnancies. They repaired it when they took out my gall bladder. Mine was about the size of a nickel.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 pm

Nik Colon wrote:S I guess I have a small umbilical hernia. Does anyone know if it's ok to do situps and such with it? I just don't want to make it worse and I like to do sit ups and stretches as my main exercise

IS it congenital or showed up later from a surgery ?

I'd had a small reducible umbilical hernia for years .. worked out regularly 3-4 times a week doing heavy martial arts training
( 2-3 hours 3-4 x per week )
When I had my LAR "it" got repaired ... for a while .. then showed up again slightly above the upper margin of my resection .. and the same size.
Causes no issues for me ... BUTT hernias can enlarge, entrap loops of intestine etc.etc.etc.

get it checked out if you have concerns !

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 am

CRguy wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:S I guess I have a small umbilical hernia. Does anyone know if it's ok to do situps and such with it? I just don't want to make it worse and I like to do sit ups and stretches as my main exercise

IS it congenital or showed up later from a surgery ?

I'd had a small reducible umbilical hernia for years .. worked out regularly 3-4 times a week doing heavy martial arts training
( 2-3 hours 3-4 x per week )
When I had my LAR "it" got repaired ... for a while .. then showed up again slightly above the upper margin of my resection .. and the same size.
Causes no issues for me ... BUTT hernias can enlarge, entrap loops of intestine etc.etc.etc.

get it checked out if you have concerns !

Cheers
CR

I seen it on a CT report that was after my surgery. My current CT didn't mention it, but it hurts right there when I do situps, so I can only assume it is from that as I didn't have pain there prior. I had my palliative doc check but he wasn't sure, I'm gonna ask my gp on the 5th. I do need to lose a few lbs, so maybe my current blub is masking it. Idk, I just don't want to make it worse. Ugh, so frustrating

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 am

I think the main problem with hernias (causing them and living with them) is a large increase in intra-abdominal pressure. If you breath properly when doing sit ups then it shouldnt be a problem as all you're really doing then is contracting your muscles. Its holding your breath and bearing down that's the problem.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am

Nik:
As a physical therapist, I often counsel people on modifying exercise techniques for a better end result.

To avoid intra-abdominal pressure that can aggravate/grow a hernia, consciously breath out through your mouth and nose as you begin to raise your head/shoulder girdle. Avoid holding your breath (valsalva maneuver).

To derive core abdominal strengthening value from a sit-up, you do NOT need to do a complete arc of motion. A partial-sit up is more effective than a full-sit up for strengthening the core abdominal muscles. In fact, a full sit up works the hip flexors more than the abdominal muscles.

For a better sit up: Keep your knees bent, feet on the floor. Curl your head toward your chest, raising your head and shoulder girdle off of the floor, consciously and gently tightening the front abdominal muscles, as you breath out through your mouth/nose. You need only elevate your head/shoulder girdle about 30 degrees from horizontal (8-10 inches). Hold position for 5-10 seconds, as you continue to breath out. Slowly lower, controlling the descent (develop eccentric muscle control).
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks for the tips :)

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:22 am

I have an umbilical hernia as a consequence of my LAR for rectal cancer. It showed up on a Cscan, otherwise I would not have known about it. I do situps -- the hernia never prevented me from that, and actually never bothered me in any way. But I imagine hernias differ.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

PGLGreg wrote:I have an umbilical hernia as a consequence of my LAR for rectal cancer. It showed up on a Cscan, otherwise I would not have known about it. I do situps -- the hernia never prevented me from that, and actually never bothered me in any way. But I imagine hernias differ.

Utwo

Re: Hernia questions - exercise and a hernia belt?

Postby Utwo » Sun May 03, 2020 1:35 pm

A few month ago I noticed a (small?) umbilical hernia.
I do not want to fix it right away because it doesn't bother me, and at the same time I do not want to exacerbate this situation.

A few people already mentioned in this thread that small umbilical hernia has not stopped them from participating in physical exercises.

Would you recommend wearing a hernia belt during physical exercises (especially when doing seat-ups)?
If yes, what brand/model would you recommend?

P.S. I decided to resurrect this old thread because it already has some useful advice.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”