So is this normal after only one infusion of Oxi?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rob in PA

Re: So is this normal after only one infusion of Oxi?

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Metsrule wrote:My husband has finished his 4th cycle with oxi. Each time he gets the tingling/pain in his hands and feet from the cold. He states it subsides about 5 days after the pump comes off. We keep his beverages at room temp and he wears gloves before he reaches into fridge. When it first happened he was nervous, but now he expects it and we try to plan ahead. Good luck in your journey. Take care.

Mary
(I don't know how to do the signature)
Dx 10-31-14 Stage IV 45yr old
mets to liver,adrenal gland,lung

Mary,
I'm guessing by your username you are a NY Mets fan and not a fan of metastasis? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: LOL

Back on topic, yes, the facial pain was the most bothersome for me during Oxi. I would just lie in bed with a hot compress over my face to help ease the pain in face, jaw, and teeth.

Piratesrule!
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

NY Metsrule

Postby NY Metsrule » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Rob in PA,
Yes! We are NY Mets fans. Sorry :oops:
This is our year, although we say that every year!
Be well.
Mary
Dx 10/31/14, Age 45/ Stage IV
Sigmoid, with 4 mets liver- CEA 69.8
12/5/14 adrenal gland biopsy + for mets
12/16/14 Folfox6 started- 4/16/15
4/15 portal vein embolization
5/20/15 surgery: sigmoid colon resection,right lobe liver resection,left adrenal gland excision, peritoneal mets
5 more chemos, no oxi, just 5-FU
10/19/2015 Ct scan clear, CEA 1.8

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:21 am

Yes, I had the frozen fingers soon after the first infusion. I called them Zombie fingers and I would hold them out and walk like a zombie and go "Arrrrgh." (Walking Dead fan) My kids were not amused. It was so weird to see them get into some odd position and freeze. I also had to uncurl them sometimes.

This didn't really get worse, so I wouldn't worry about it getting worse and worse with each infusion. I did have horrible leg cramps after a few infusions and blurry vision. My Oncologist prescribed Ativan and all of this greatly decreased so you might want to talk to your Oncologist about taking Ativan, especially on infusion day. It's weird that it helped, but it did.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

elise

Postby elise » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 pm

yes yes yes and the mouth tingle/slurring if my mouth got cold at all. I'd be outside in a tank top with mittens and a big scarf on. UGH Oxi :(
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Peabody5422
Facebook Username: debbie.whitaker

Postby Peabody5422 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:59 pm

I couldn't drink even tap water that was too cold, go bare footed, touch anything in my refrigerator so forget the freezer. When I would go out to eat I would have to have them put water in a bowl of hot water. It gets better after you stop the OXI but I still have problems with my fingers and feet. It's been 3 months off of Oxi. Just hang in there.
DX: RC 11/11 T1 N1c MX
Surgery: LAR 12/23/11
Rad & Xeloda: 1/12 - 4/12
Clean CT: 4/12
Reoccur: Lymp 4/14 4 new locations. 2 Aortic, 2 locations Rectum
Chemo to start: 6/14, OXI, Advastin, 5FU
10/14: One tumor left - on Avastin only
Surgeries: 4/15, 7/15 and 8/15 :last tumor w/Illeostomy then Ostomy
NED by 7/15 Surgery

lpas

Postby lpas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks so much to all for the feedback--it's been very helpful.

Fortunately, after a week most of the initial Oxi effects are gone. Fingers still get tingly when I go outside or get something from the fridge, but that's about it. Next infusion isn't till the 26th. I guess that's one of the good things about XELOX--I get the 3-week Oxi cycle instead of 2.
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 pm

lpas wrote:Thanks so much to all for the feedback--it's been very helpful.

Fortunately, after a week most of the initial Oxi effects are gone. Fingers still get tingly when I go outside or get something from the fridge, but that's about it. Next infusion isn't till the 26th. I guess that's one of the good things about XELOX--I get the 3-week Oxi cycle instead of 2.

But, don't you get a higher dose because of the length between? I could be wrong, but if so, that may be why your SA's are worse. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

lpas

Postby lpas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 pm

ritz75 wrote:

But, don't you get a higher dose because of the length between? I could be wrong, but if so, that may be why your SA's are worse. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a slightly higher dose, but I think I'd rather have slightly worse symptoms spaced every 3 weeks than slightly better symptoms spaced every 2. Of course with that said, I have no basis for comparison, so what the hell do I know really...
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 pm

lpas wrote:
ritz75 wrote:

It is a slightly higher dose, but I think I'd rather have slightly worse symptoms spaced every 3 weeks than slightly better symptoms spaced every 2. Of course with that said, I have no basis for comparison, so what the hell do I know really...

You do what you feel is best for you, but if you get really bad side effects, please talk to your onc.

lpas

Postby lpas » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 am

Yes, I definitely will.
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

megan120

Postby megan120 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:39 pm

I am so glad (not quite the right word, relieved maybe?) that so many of you experience "claw hand" as well. I never heard of it as a side effect and I thought it was somehow in my head or something :shock: I work the night shift and it is always cold in there. It is always nice when I am getting ready to start an IV or even just trying to type on the computer and my hands freeze up. Not super encouraging for my patients. I have started carrying the hand warmers in my pockets at work to keep my hands warm enough. Of course sometimes I feel how warm my scrubs are and have that momentary fear that I am having an ostomy issue. Can't seem to win :?
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

O Stoma Mia

Ways of administering IV drugs

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:00 pm

lpas wrote:... My first day is tomorrow, but I'll just be having the oxaliplatin infusion. Am doing the Xeloda pills instead of 5FU...

I can't remember if you ever said how you are receiving your oxaliplatin infusions. Is it by peripheral IV to the wrist? By PICC line to upper arm? By central line to a port in your chest? Although the amount of oxaliplatin delivered might be the same in all cases, the flow rate or other parameters might be different. It might help to know which method is being used and whether or not you are experiencing any problems with the administration method itself.

Before you started your infusions, did you doctor present you with the various options available and describe the benefits and problems associated with each method?

lpas

Re: Ways of administering IV drugs

Postby lpas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:02 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:
lpas wrote:... My first day is tomorrow, but I'll just be having the oxaliplatin infusion. Am doing the Xeloda pills instead of 5FU...

I can't remember if you ever said how you are receiving your oxaliplatin infusions. Is it by peripheral IV to the wrist? By PICC line to upper arm? By central line to a port in your chest? Although the amount of oxaliplatin delivered might be the same in all cases, the flow rate or other parameters might be different. It might help to know which method is being used and whether or not you are experiencing any problems with the administration method itself.

Before you started your infusions, did you doctor present you with the various options available and describe the benefits and problems associated with each method?

I'm doing it via port. I'm told that I have great veins in my arms (an easy stick) and I originally wanted to just be infused that way but my doctor talked me out of it--said it would probably be painful and my veins could collapse.
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”