another newbie

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
maryv

another newbie

Postby maryv » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:58 am

Hello,

Last week I found this site. I have been lurking around and am amazed that finally I have found a site that speaks my language.

I am one year and a month into my recovery. Was diagnosed stage 3c last in Sept. 04, two days before my 49th birthday. Went into the hospital after my doctor suspected appendicitis. Before the night was over I was diagnosed and on my way to surgery.

My first treatment was oxiliplatin, 5fu, lucovorian. On my sixth treatment I had an allergic reaction. They gave me about 2 months off, then on to Xeloda for the next six months. Right now I am at the 6 week mark of no chemo.

I have a question for those of you who are finished with chemo....Did you feel a major letdown, depression, lost after chemo? I just don't understand why now I am going through these feelings? Up until now I have been very positive. Suddenly I just don't seem to be able to get a handle on my feelings. Recently I went in for a CAT SCAN. While sitting in the doctor's office waiting for the results I was on the verge of tears the entire time. That is pretty much the way I have felt the past 6 weeks. Two days ago I had my PET. Will do more blood work next week then back for the results. I guess that would be a good time to discuss this overwhelming feeling I have.

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like this sounds silly after reading some of what others are going through. If you could help though I would appreciate it.

maryv

Carol Connell

Postby Carol Connell » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi Mary, I know exactly how you are feeling. I started chemo in
Oct 2004 and had a 6 month break from my treatment in March.
I felt so lost, depressed and scared the whole time. I think chemo
is a security blanket, plus not having the nurses and other patients
to talk to about our feelings. I started Xeloda 2 weeks ago and feel
better already. My situation is a little different. I am stage IV, 63
with mets to my Lung and Liver. You could be feeling the loss of
being with people that understand what it is like living with Cancer,
and also concerned about it coming back. This board can give you
confidence, live for today and celebrate your success. Watch good
movies, go out to eat and most of all, thank God everyday that you
made it through your treatments. Good luck.
Carol Connell

Holly

Another Newbie

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:05 pm

Mary,

Welcome to the Colon Club :lol:

Please know that you are in my prayers!

maryv

Postby maryv » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks Carol for your reply. Good luck with the Xeloda. I did pretty well on this chemo. Make sure you take good care of your feet....lots of lotion and drink lots of water. I used udderly smooth cream which can be found in the first aid isle at Walmart. I used it 3-4 times a day as my feet got extremly dry and peeled a couple of times. I also took my b6 faithfully for the tinglies and aching....it worked wonderfully.

Holly.....you are an angel! Thanks for all you do!

Mary

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Mary,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am grateful

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”