Xeloda and hair loss

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sophy

Xeloda and hair loss

Postby Sophy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Has anyone here experienced hair loss on xeloda? I checked the Xeloda website and it is listed as a rare side effect but it didn't say if it got worse the longer a patient is on xeloda leaving them totally without hair or if it slows down or reverses as the body gets used to xeloda.

So far I have bald arms and nostrils (!) and very little other body hair. The stuff on my head has thinned but isn't noticeable to anyone else - or perhaps I just have polite friends.

Maybe I am being vain but the possibility of being completely bald for a few years is something I really don't want to happen. I don't want to look like a cancer patient even though I am one!

If anyone knows of anything that can be done to stop hair thinning I would be grateful to hear or whether to expect to lose it all. I will check with my onc when I next see her.

Thanks

Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 11 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 2020 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy shows scar tissue, still NED
Dec 2020 stopping Chemo

O Stoma Mia

Medicated scalp cleanser

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Sophy -

How are you doing there in NZ?

I was on Xeloda, and I used Stieprox medicated scalp cleanser when my hair started to thin, and it worked well for me. Please note that this is not a shampoo, and it should only be used a couple of times a week (follow the directions!)

Stieprox Liquid (Ciclopirox Olamine 1.5 percent w/w)

I have also successfully used another type of scalp cleanser:

Rene Furterer Astera Soothing Shampoo

What I would suggest is that you talk to your pharmacist and find some kind of medicated scalp cleanser that will keep your scalp as healthy as possible. In this way you will have done everything you can to encourage your hair to grow back normally.

If you don't keep good care of your scalp, then the hair will tend to continue falling out.

Don't worry. You won't go completely bald! You just need to keep good care of your skin and scalp.

Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sophy

Re: Xeloda and hair loss

Postby Sophy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:16 am

Thanks for your input OSM, much appreciated, will check out if the products you recommended are available in NZ.

I think that as I will be on xeloda for another 2 years and 8 months (if I don't have another recurrence in that time) the side effects seem much more invasive - I don't mind very much about being bald for six months but being that way until late 2017 seems pretty scary.

Anyway, it sounds as though I shall probably not go completely bald on my head and perhaps in time I will be pretty pleased that I don't need to shave my legs :)

Apart from the hairy issue and ongoing digestion probs I am managing well at the moment. My dosage is now 1000 mg xeloda and 200mg celebrex twice a day and I am feeling pretty good and think that I will have the strength to continue long term.

Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 11 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 2020 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy shows scar tissue, still NED
Dec 2020 stopping Chemo

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 am

No loss of hair anywhere. I think I would trade my hand/foot syndrome for hair loss. :roll:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Valorie

Postby Valorie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 am

I had some thinning. Enough that I had my hair cut short so when it starts growing back it'll blend in. I've found that during treatment, hair growth slowed considerably. The hand foot was by far the worst.

Valorie
Age 53 dx 2a CC 0/21 LN Oncotypedx score: 11
Sigmoidectomy 5/8/14
MSS No lymphovasular involvement,
6/14 PET - NED, 12/14 CT NED, 7/15 CT - NED
6/14-12/9/14 Xeloda 8 cycles
2/12/15 incisional hernia repair - Boooo!

juliej

Postby juliej » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Sophy, I had some hair thinning on Xeloda too, but not complete loss. Six weeks after I finished my last pill, my hair stylist could see lots of short hairs growing on my scalp (under my longer hair) so it regrew very fast. I lost my fingerprints on Xeloda too, a rare side effect. It's perfect if you want a career as a bank robber or spy :D
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Sophy, I had thinning when I was first getting chemo and radiation. Later when I switched to Xeloda only, the thinning stopped and hair regrowth started. In part, I think the thinning was due to problems keeping my thyroid level stable. I found taking a hair and nail vitamin combo from Swisse, helped a lot. I cleared that with my oncologist. Just had a cut and color today, and my regular stylist was amazed at the regrowth, and each hair strand is much thicker. She was quite amazed, and I was very happy about it. At least check with your oncologist about a biotin supplement.
cheers, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”