Frequent formed turds all day long

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mariabeauton

Frequent formed turds all day long

Postby mariabeauton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 am

Hello all
Is there any advice on how to get my bowels to come all at once and not a turd every 30 minutes all day long??? I am doing the Kegels but it just feels like as soon as there is a little bit, I gotta go! I also have hemorrhoids which might add to the intense need. Advice??
Maria

pog451
Facebook Username: andrew.morgan

Re: Frequent formed turds all day long

Postby pog451 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am

Immodium.

Even if you don't have loose stools immodium will deal with the frequency. I get exactly this too. I rarely to never have loose or watery stools but I have periods like you where every half an hour a small stool comes along. Popping two immodiums generally sets me up for the next few hours (in fact sometimes just taking one calms things down enough) .

If that doesn't appeal or doesn't work, there is a bowel training program from one of the big hospitals which uses a combination of immodium and gentle laxatives to "train" the bowels to be more regular. I get by without this, but many have reported good results.

If nothing else, its important to reduce frequency to reduce irritation. Do you have a good zinc cream?
09.11 Dx @ 46, uT3uN1M0 G2
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 am

I'm doing 2 doses of Metamucil (one morning one evening). My surgeon told my it could help form bulk in the stool and it seems to be pretty effective for me. With my two doses I average 2 poops a day, without like 4. One thing I've found though, is I have to keep well hydrated otherwise the poop slows down to much and I start getting constipated.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

I hate when that happens! it's irritating and frustrating. For me, I can use Imodium to slow down diarrhea, but if I use it to slow things down when I'm passing formed stools then it can constipate me later. I find the using Lomotil works better for that situation--it stops things cold, but when the drug wears off, things continue as normal. My oncologist says that it's different for everyone, so YMMV, but that's what works for me. I agree that hydration is very important--if I don't get enough water, it often causes constipation.

Good luck,
Cj
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

mariabeauton

Postby mariabeauton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Thank you all! Great tips. Going to try Metamucil first and see what happens!

IcyBlueEyes

Postby IcyBlueEyes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:14 pm

I found that drinking warm liquids, such as tea, or cup a soup helps. I hate when u go and u get a tiny poop and then end up back later. Though on the other hand it is better than the unexpected and diarrhea dash issue.....
July'12:Dx stage 4 CC
July'12:Surgery(sigmoid colon,appendix,uterus)
Oct-Dec'12:Chemo Folfiri &Avastin
Blood clot:portal vein daily Lovenox injections
Feb'13:Surgery VATS(rt lung wedge)&Caudate liver met
Oct'13:Surgery VATS(lower rt lobe removal)

mariabeauton

Postby mariabeauton » Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi all
I am doing the 2 doses off Metamucil -one after breakfast and 1 after supper. I am still experiencing an average of 7-8 turds a day. Should I continue the Metamucil protocol of up to4 doses daily? Or should I try something different?

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri May 02, 2014 7:38 pm

pog451 wrote:Immodium.

Even if you don't have loose stools immodium will deal with the frequency. I get exactly this too. I rarely to never have loose or watery stools but I have periods like you where every half an hour a small stool comes along. Popping two immodiums generally sets me up for the next few hours (in fact sometimes just taking one calms things down enough) .

If that doesn't appeal or doesn't work, there is a bowel training program from one of the big hospitals which uses a combination of immodium and gentle laxatives to "train" the bowels to be more regular. I get by without this, but many have reported good results.

If nothing else, its important to reduce frequency to reduce irritation. Do you have a good zinc cream?

Many people relate Immodium only for diarrhea, but I use it daily for frequency control. Also, as I lost most of my rectum and sigmoid colon, I avoid breakfast to get through my workday without tying up the restroom from my co-workers :shock:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Sat May 03, 2014 9:37 am

I take Metamucil every day, but for those occasions when I have too many urges to 'go', I take 2 Immodium and usually some tea also. My urges to go seem to relate to producing excess gas, rather than due to solid feces. So for a few days I may eliminate those foods that are major gas producers-beans,onions,broccoli, etc..
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”