Goodbye FOLFOX , hello Folfiri

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Marian1961

Goodbye FOLFOX , hello Folfiri

Postby Marian1961 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Don't have full scan results yet but enough to know FOLFOX got scrapped today and Folfiri started. Looks like progression of liver met. I don't even know what to say.
Caregiver 53 brother
Dx 09/13 stage iv, met liver
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

O Stoma Mia

Ѡ Ѡ - Side effects management under FOLFIRI

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Marian1961 wrote:Don't have full scan results yet but enough to know FOLFOX got scrapped today and Folfiri started. Looks like progression of liver met. I don't even know what to say...

• FOL-F-IRI

FOL - Folinic acid (Leucovorin) side effects
    https://portal.nursing.iupui.edu/index.php?seq=_002_005_001_350#5
    http://www.drugs.com/sfx/leucovorin-side-effects.html
    http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Leucovorin.aspx

F – Fluorouracil (5-FU) side effects
    https://portal.nursing.iupui.edu/index.php?seq=_002_005_001_260#5
    http://www.drugs.com/sfx/fluorouracil-side-effects.html
    http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/fluorouracil.aspx

IRI - Irinotecan side effects
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600805/DSECTION=side-effects
    http://www.drugs.com/sfx/irinotecan-side-effects.html
    http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/irinotecan.aspx
  • Side effects log -
    _MON____TUE_____WED____THU____FRI_____SAT____SUN__
    .AM PM...AM PM....AM PM...AM PM...AM PM....AM PM...AM PM.
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Diarrhea
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Vomiting
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Nausea
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Mouth Sores
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Hand-and-foot syndrome (HFS)
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Fever or infection
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Stomach area pain
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Pain (other)
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Fatigue
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Constipation
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Loss of appetite
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Dehydration
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Skin problems
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Hair loss
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Dizziness
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Headache
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Insomnia
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| Taste problems
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| etc..
    |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...| |...|...|
  • Medications for each side effect - For each of the major expected side effects, you should have a plan for treating the side effect at three possible levels of intensity, for example:

1. Mild level - Home remedies or over-the-counter preparations
    2. Moderate level - Mild prescription medications or over-the-counter preparations
    3. Severe level - Strong prescription medications

It would help to have the options identified in advance at these three levels for each major type of side effect (and approved by your doctor), although it may not be necessary to purchase everything in advance. Some products may be hard to find, so it may be wise to do some research in advance to determine where you are going to obtain the products in case you ever need them.

It is important to be pro-active and start treating the problems early, as soon as they start to appear. There is a reason for this: Under chemotherapy, the immune system becomes somewhat compromised and a bit dysfunctional. It takes a bit longer for medications and treatments to take effect, so you need to start the treatments early, at the first sign of a problem. If you decide to wait until the problem becomes almost unbearable, then this might be a bit too late for your immune system to step in, catch up, and quickly solve the problem. In a way, there is no point in taking a 'macho' approach by trying to be a hero by toughing it out. Now is the time when your body needs tender loving care by giving it some form of treatment whenever something starts going wrong.
  • Consent form - If you have not done so already, you will need to read and sign the hospital's "Chemotherapy Informed Consent" form. This is a form that describes the major risks and benefits of the treatment procedure. I would recommend that you read your form thoroughly before you sign it, and be sure that any questions you might have are answered before you sign. Also, ask for a photocopy of the form that you have just signed. A sample template of such a form can be downloaded from the link below. Click on the link, and use the SaveAs option to save the file to the Windows Desktop. Then after the download is complete, open the file and look at its contents, in particular the section on "Risks/Side Effects of Proposed Treatment". This is where the main side effects of your treatment will be listed on the particular form that they give you to sign. Chemotherapy Consent Use and Discussion Guide
  • Book - I would recommend reading the following book, which gives a general introduction to chemotherapy without focusing on any particular drug. The emphasis is on how to deal with the main side effects that are common to most all chemotherapy regimens, i.e., nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, neuropathy, etc. It is a good guide for someone who has had no prior experience with chemotherapy
    "Chemotherapy Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Get through Treatment ", by J. McKay and T. Schacher, (2009)
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ashlee H.

Re: Goodbye FOLFOX , hello Folfiri

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:29 am

In my case, FOLFOX did very little for me. However, FOLFIRI has worked for the past 3 years. Sometimes I"m NED, and more often I am "stable". I found FOLFIRI easier than FOLFOX - although it did take me three treatments to get the pre-meds right. Hope it is as successful for you as it has been for me. - Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I've tolerated Folfiri much better than Folfox. I go for a CT on the 13th to see if it's keeping the tumors stable. Don't get discouraged. Not everyone responds to first line treatment but do to other regimens.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Marian1961

Postby Marian1961 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm back in my right head today. It was a huge shock. The chemo worked on the colon tumor, we already knew that because well, poop happened. But the pain in the abdomen was all but gone, something explained as the liver tumor pressing on the stomach. Huh. Guess not. It was just an unexpected gut kick. But onwards.
Caregiver 53 brother
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 pm

I liked folfiri better. Did I just say "liked" :shock: !! Well,you know what I mean. Tolerated may be a better word :D
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

ptfly
Facebook Username: Paul Turley little rock, ar

Postby ptfly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:42 pm

folfox worked for my wife. she started folfiri this monday (several weeks after her pump surgery).
so far, so good. Seems like the majority of people find it easier than folfox.
Husband to Tracie with stage 4 CC. Liver Mets
DX 5-10-13. C resection 5-17-13. 5/17 LN
FOLFOX+AVI 6-11 thru 9-19-13
HAI pump on 10/31/2013 :) Stopped 9/14 :(
https://www.facebook.com/paul.turley.92
Passed peacefully in my arms at home on 11/11/14

MilwaukeeMal

Postby MilwaukeeMal » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Yep; in my case too FOLFIRI was much easier than FOLFOX. Side effects were much milder.
2000 Pan-ulcerative colitis; 4/26/2010 resection; 5/16 nodes
pulmonary embolism May 2010
2010 12X FOLFOX
Oct 2012 peri & omentum mets; CC Stage 4
Nov-Dec 2012 FOLFORI+Avastin
March 2013 HIPEC; 18 mo NED!
now 10-12 spots on liver; back to FOLFOX....

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Folfiri worked well for me, but I had much more nausea. Like Ashlee said, getting the meds right takes a little attention. Good luck!

Marian1961

Postby Marian1961 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

First round of Folfiri knocked him flat. He had experienced 2-3 yuck days per cycle on FOLFOX, lots of fatigue and just not feeling well. The Folfiri kept him in bed for 5 days plus another day of yuck, lots of nausea. I really wish my crystal ball worked because it is so hard to watch him feel so awful and not know if it is working.
Caregiver 53 brother
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

That was my experience, too. I had to take zofran every 8 hours and lorazepam every 12 hours round the clock for 3-4 days to get the nausea under control. Please ask him to talk to his oncologist about how to handle the nausea -- it can be better!

Marian1961

Postby Marian1961 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you! We have a meeting with the infusion tech tomorrow before the actual infusion begins. I'm hopeful they can try something else to help the nausea.
Caregiver 53 brother
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Marian1961 wrote:Thank you! We have a meeting with the infusion tech tomorrow before the actual infusion begins. I'm hopeful they can try something else to help the nausea.

They tend to start you out on the cheapest anti nausea med (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and hope that works, if not, they will try others but you have to let them know you'd like to switch.

Good luck with it.

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12