Terrified, lump in rectum.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jllady
Facebook Username: Lauren Marshall

Terrified, lump in rectum.

Postby jllady » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:20 pm

So the other day I had the urge to go to the bathroom and couldn't go, so I got a suppository to get things moving and felt a hard mass in my rectum with stool by it, it seems very large. :( For the last few months I have been feeling very week and tired and bloated with no appetite, I can barely get out of bed. I went to my primary care doctor and he ran some blood tests and had an adbominal ultrasound done, the ultrasound was normal and the blood test showed low normal ferritin so he suggested an iron supplement. I told my husband and made an appointment with a Gastroenterologist but I am terrified. I have kids and I'm only 24. I don't know what to expect by posting this, I guess just some support.

Swede

Re: Terrified, lump in rectum.

Postby Swede » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 am

I suppose your GP felt with a finger in your rectum, and did a rectoscopy? That is easy, quick and cheap. If your GP did not see or feel anything, then the last 10 cm of your rectum should be OK at least.

It is very unlikely that you should have rectal cancer. Other causes are far more probable, especially if you have not had any bleeding. Probably you are just constipated.
LAR 2013-04-29. 45 yo RC T3cN2a 4/38 nodes. Vascular invasion. Mucinous moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma 10-13 cm from anus
Refused rad&oxi. 4 rounds of xeloda
May 2014 CT, MRI and PET suspicious peritoneal mets. Surgery June 2014 only benign granuloma. NED
2015-04-10 clean MRI abdomen/liver/pelvis, clean pulm x-ray.
2016-05-13 clean MRI abdomen/liver/pelvis, clean pulm x-ray, clean colonoscopy
Cured.

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:16 am

I think you will find that the overwhelming response you get will be "get a colonoscopy". Without that all the stress and worry you have is speculation at best so push for the colonoscopy and get an answer sooner, rather than later

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 am

The only way to know what's going on is to have a colonoscopy. The waiting can be scary, our mind can get away with us and make us think all kind of worrisome thoughts and make us worry about the "what ifs".

For what it's worth, the only symptom I had was blood in my stools. Get the colonoscopy and then you'll know what you're dealing with. I hope and pray that it's nothing serious. I know it's hard but try not to worry in the meantime.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

jllady

Postby jllady » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 am

No my gp didn't feel in there I found the lump after the appointment. And yes I plan to get a colonoscopy. I will update after my appointment.

jllady

Postby jllady » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Update: Went to the Gastroenterologist, he did not feel what I felt. With my symptoms he recommended a endoscopy, and said I was too young for a colonoscopy, but told me that if if it would make me feel better and more comfortable he would have a colonoscopy done the same day. So that is where I stand. Scared for the procedure and what they may find but am trying to stay calm.

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Go for it! The prep is the same and the drugs are good.

Sure you are scared, but don't be dumb like I was! :roll:
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

jacekica
Facebook Username: jasminka marout

Postby jacekica » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:47 am

It is good he didn't feel lump, but sure it is not true (unfortunatly) that someone can be to young for cancer, go for colonoscopy and don't be discouraged by his comments and thinking. It is the only way to know for sure what it is that bothers you. It is not good sign you are SOitred, for me it was the only new sign, I was bleediong for 13 years totaly sure it is not cancer (who have cancer 13 years... no one, but it became cancer during years). So don't wait but push for colono sooner, rather than later. If all is well, OK, you are at peace, knowing all is good down there.
Dx 2/11
surgery 5/11, T2N0MX, G2, SRC rectal ca, 22 cm removed
CT- numerous mets in abdomen - LN, 2 big ones on pancreas, one penetrated right urether. Surgery, they just take samples for PHD, 6 roundds 5FU, refuse further chemos

jllady

Postby jllady » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah I am going to do the endoscopy and the colonoscopy. I have had no bleeding but have been feeling off. The tiredness seems worse some days and fine others. I have a thyroid disorder but that was already checked and was normal.

jllady

Postby jllady » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 am

Update: Got the colonoscopy, doctors said possible mild ibs and there are small hemorrhoids in my rectum. There were no biopsies done. I am still having a hard time going to the bathroom and feel blocked up still, can a tumor be misdiagnosed as hemorroids? I am concerned something was missed. I was given suppositories for the hemorrhoids but have found no relief and I can feel the hemerroids and it doesn't feel small to me.

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

If you aren't confident in your doctor you can always get a 2nd opinion. The 2nd doctor might even be able to review the colonoscopy procedure (these are recorded aren't they?); so you don't have to go through another scope.

I've never heard of cancer being misdiagnosed as hemmerhoids, but I'm not a medical doctor. I know when I had my scope done, the doctor said they were doing a biopsy, but she was 99.9% sure it was cancer (and it was). From all I've read here of others experiences, the difference between cancer and hemmerhoids seems to be pretty evident.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:18 am

NWgirl wrote:If you aren't confident in your doctor you can always get a 2nd opinion. The 2nd doctor might even be able to review the colonoscopy procedure (these are recorded aren't they?); so you don't have to go through another scope.

I've never heard of cancer being misdiagnosed as hemmerhoids, but I'm not a medical doctor. I know when I had my scope done, the doctor said they were doing a biopsy, but she was 99.9% sure it was cancer (and it was). From all I've read here of others experiences, the difference between cancer and hemmerhoids seems to be pretty evident.

I was diagnosed with vaginitis and bleeding hemorrhoids for six months before I realized that my ass hurt worse than my heart did when I was having a heart attack. What I had was a colon tumor that was part of a fistula that had broken through the colon wall and invaded my vagina. So, it's possible to be misdiagnosed as something being hemorrhoids instead of the tumor it actually was.

I'm glad you're getting a colonoscopy. His statement about you being too young is just ongoing ignorance, in my opinion, of what more and more docs are finding - more and more people are being diagnosed before the age of 50 than ever before. All that said, it's easy to jump to the worst case scenario but you need to insist if you're not comfortable with what he's saying. I pray it's just a big ol' hemorrhoid that can be treated and forgotten about.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13