Liver resection - updated

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LKGower

Liver resection - updated

Postby LKGower » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Hello all my wonderful CC friends ;) thought I'd give you all an update and let you know how my liver resection went. Well it's been interesting week recovering. My resection went well, he ended up only having to cut 50% of my liver, rather than 70%. He couldn't remove one of the tumours (which we weren't 100-% sure if he could anyway) instead he RFA the little dam bugger so he is quite confident with that because it was only <1.8cm in size. So I think it is safe to say I am cancer free (well visibly anyways) yay! They could not see anything Suss outside the liver too which was great to hear. I am recovering ok I guess.. Still been getting very light headed and double visioned every day so I don't know whether to be worried about that or not :/ they will have an optometrist look at me tomorrow. But been doing what everyone's said walking, breathing exercises etc.. I actually had my lungs collapsed on me but they are ok. Lisa
Dx 10/12 @ age 28 Stg. IV CRC spread to both ovaries, bladder and liver
Surgery 11/12 - 8/16 LN positive
9/13 Liver resection & RFA - 1/1 LN positive
10/13 boo its back already! Back to chemo

karguy
Facebook Username: pat.montoya

Re: Liver resection - updated

Postby karguy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm glad your resection went well,I hope you continue to improve.Keep an eye on your lungs.I hope you don"t have any more trouble.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi Lisa, It's good to hear from you again and to see that are up and walking a little. I'm glad that they were able to get the last tumor by using RFA. Now you will have some peace of mind knowing that they dealt with everything that they could see. Take care of yourself, and try to get some rest now.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/radiofrequency-ablation/

LKGower

Postby LKGower » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks for your replies :) karguy - definitely keeping an eye on those lungs!! I have to actually go got a procedure to tomorrow, where they will put a camera down my throat and see whether something is blocking a duct which seems to be giving me grief today. Hopefully they find something and fix it. I have noticed thought I have been super dooper tired :/ I could have plenty of sleep but then still struggling to stay awak for 30 mins. Is that normal?? "Lisa

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

Hi lisa,

Glad to hear that things went relatively well. Hopefully your lounges just need a bit of exercise. Liver resection tends to take quite a bit out of you. I was told that I would have pretty low energy for a few weeks while recovering and while the liver is regenerating. Take it day by day. It will get better quickly. I was feeling pretty good about three weeks out. Even went to a wedding, where no one knew I had cancer let alone major surgery.

Carmen
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

karguy

Postby karguy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 pm

I think it is normal for some people to be tired.After surgery I would get tired after I washed up,and would have to go back to bed.The doctor had me take iron pills,and eat a couple of bananas every day.I still do that.Good luck.

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Lisa
Glad to hear that you got the resection done and that there were no massive dramas.....apart from the collapsed lungs.
Weather warming up so just the sort of place you want to be.
Keep us all in the loop about the recovery
Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

LKGower

Postby LKGower » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Sorry for the delay with my reply, been focusing on recovering (still in hospital). Carmen - I feel like it will also take me few weeks to get some energy back, it's was definitely a harder surgery and recovery so at compared to my bowel and ovary resection last year. Karguy - there will be zero house work I'll be doing haha. My partner has just returned from where he works interstate in the mines, I have given him strict instructions he will be in charge of all house cleanin for the next month haha. Kiwi - I haven't had any further problems with the lungs (touch wood), but I had to have a stent inserted the other day as my body fluids were draining too much and also not standard colour they expect to see. So to prevent leakage internally I had no choice but to have that done, so I will need to revisit the hospital in 6 weeks to have it removed. I just hope it doesn't stall starting chemo for too much longer. I've had an awful pain since having the stent inserted, I don't think it's related but more of a coincidence because the pain located liver region right next to upper rib cage (hope that made sense), but the pain has just gotten worse in the last 12 hours,a it's a mixture of shooting sharp pains and a then a permanent sharp pain almost like a sensation like something is going to pop. It's concerning, I'm waiting to see surgeons team this morning and hopefully get some answers but I guess an ultra sound would only really give me peace of mind because not only is there pain but also surrounding my incision it has been very raised, almost like I have a pole inserted under skin, but in a small section of this area it has tripled in size, turned more into a rounder shape and hard like a rock :( so praying its nothing! I was aiming to Go home tomorrow so I really hope this doesn't hold me back! I was meant to be seen by the team dr last night but none of the nurses chased it up cause they were too busy sleeping (yes actually sleeping), but the patient care I have rec. within the last week is a whole different discussion lol, let's just say a formal complaint is being made I am that angry! Lisa

karguy

Postby karguy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I hope the doctors can stop the pain.After my surgery part of the incision was swollen,and hard.In the last year the swelling went down,and it's not hard anymore.Good luck.

LKGower

Postby LKGower » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks karguy, the pain has eased a little. I honestly think that hospital bed did me no justice, almost feels like i broke w few ribs. now I'm having the problem where my drains are giving me more grief :/ can't win! I feel like my skin around the draining tubes are infected, but my surgein disagrees. Lol. Oh I really hope my inscision doesn't take that long for swelling to go away. Lisa

karguy

Postby karguy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I didn't have any draining tubes,but good luck with those.The swelling will go down,I got used to it ,and I didn't notice when it happened ,just one day the swelling was gone.Good luck.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”