New here...where do I begin?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pwebber123

Re: New here...where do I begin?

Postby pwebber123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:41 am

Hello, I have been reading some of the post and I guess that the one thing we all have starting this journey is facing the question of the unknown. Since yesterday at a visit to my GYN, It was confirmed that, oh yea , my changes in bowel formation and bloating may have something to do with a large mass in my colon, she found during the rectal exam. I should back up a bit and say I had an appointment to have a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago before scheduling GYN appt. however because I had a heart attack 2 years ago and a pacemaker inserted, I now can't get full medical coverage-- only limited . I have been a nurse for over thirty years and as long as I was working could get full coverage. During that process had exhausted my family medical leave and the day the pacemaker was put in my insurance canceled. At least I was 60 and could get my social security . I have limited coverage now and in Jan will have full coverage again through Obama care. My problem is the GI md does all his scoping at a surgical center and they will not take patients past the doors without full payment up front or ins. that covers surg. Now ,I need to fine someone to biopsy this wonderful growth, I have in my butt and hopefully remove it. I have gone from having small poops to tiny turds and this past week to every three days a lax so I can go. I bloat up quick look about 7 months pregnant and get reflux bad. I am trying not to panic but my dad had colon cancer and I lost my aunt to it. The cost without insurance is more than I have. So today I will begin the hunt . The GYN said I needed to get to a GI and waiting until Jan may not be an opt. My husband is a truck driver and up in Iowa this week, we live in FL. I just wanted to talk to someone and I'm glad I found this site, Please know I will keep you in my thoughts. PS over the past month the nausea has started and eating more frequent but smaller amounts helps. If anyone knows of GI around Tampa or Bradenton, FL ,that will work with me, I can do payments with a small down payment . pwebber 123

seasnail

Postby seasnail » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi pwebber - one thing to ask is if the places you are looking to get care has a charity program or something. We are looking into that now because our old insurance fully declined literally everything so we are 60k+ in debt with only a few months worth of treatments. That's like double our yearly salary alone, so obviously we can't afford it. I understand the stress totally though!! :(

I also wanted to follow up here with our pet scan results. Good news - shrinkage in primary (I don't know the technical terms but it went from 25 slides down to 9) with less activity and 2 of the 3 liver mets have all but disappeared, with the last one shrinking from about 4x4 cm to 1x1.5 cm. We decided to continue chemo infusions because of the great response in only 4 treatments and no side effects yet, though it was our choice to either do that or move onto radiation/oral chemo (we will now push that back to late Dec/early Jan and at that point plan for surgery later in 2014). We figured that it is working, so why not continue to see if we can further our 'maximum' result and shrink those suckers even more. :mrgreen:
Caregiver to dh
Diagnosed 8/13 stage IV 3 liver mets 1 lobe age 46
8 rds Folfiri/Avastin/5FU 9/13-12/13
Rad 1/14 (28 days) w/ADAPT
Surgery 5/1/14 temp ileo
5/13/14 pathology, complete response in liver
6/14 ADAPT for next 1.5-3 years
7/14 clean scan
9/2/14 ileo reversal
12/14, 2/15, 7/15 clean scans, fingers crossed!

pwebber123

Postby pwebber123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello, This morning spent several hours contacting GI mds, and then waited to see if anyone would reply. Late this after noon, got a reply and on 11/14 will begin the first steps with testing . Its funny how we take for granted the hours in a day, and then when things like this come up, the realization of how fast things can change in our personal world hits home. I am so glad for your good news and will keep you in my thoughts. I am finding one of the hardest things about knowing something is growing in my body is the wait to find out what it is, and how many more are in there. After reading the messages I found myself thinking about the people dealing with this too. Last night I have to say was very sleepless , anxiety at the top.
I will rest better this night . Thank you for lending an ear and just being there. pwebber123

seasnail

Postby seasnail » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:52 am

Definitely!! I'm still pretty new to this but have found this to be a great place for people who can listen, give advice and encouragement, and know an awful lot on this unfortunate topic! Even just a few months ago I was in complete panic/depression/anxiety mode (it's weird reading my thread from the beginning) but in the few short months since, have had an easier time accepting and working towards being in the best place possible.

Please keep us updated and feel free to share anytime you want to get things off your chest. :)
Caregiver to dh
Diagnosed 8/13 stage IV 3 liver mets 1 lobe age 46
8 rds Folfiri/Avastin/5FU 9/13-12/13
Rad 1/14 (28 days) w/ADAPT
Surgery 5/1/14 temp ileo
5/13/14 pathology, complete response in liver
6/14 ADAPT for next 1.5-3 years
7/14 clean scan
9/2/14 ileo reversal
12/14, 2/15, 7/15 clean scans, fingers crossed!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”