waiting for a sigmoidoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
julie

waiting for a sigmoidoscopy

Postby julie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:18 am

Hi all, im glad to hear so many successful stories as i am waiting to have a sigmoidoscopy, i had a colonoscopy 10 yrs ago but doctors found nothing, now my symptoms are worse and am losing a lot of blood and have constant pain, i am very nervous but feel some comfort from a lot of your successes! Thankyou xxx

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 pm

Julie,

A sigmoidoscopy doesn't examine the entire colon. Are you sure that's what you're getting? If so, I'd ask for another colonoscopy. That way they'll be looking at the entire colon.

Rob

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:20 pm

Julie-

I couldn't agree more! Sigmoidoscopy isn't good enough, and on average, they say it actually only gets in about 9 inches anyway. (It's like only doing one breast in a mammogram.) Please tell your doc you want a colonoscopy! If nothing else, you'll get the best nap of your life! :lol:
Last edited by Molly on Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julie

Postby julie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:23 am

Thankyou for your reply`s, yes rob it is a sigmoidoscopy im getting, i thought that was the longer more flexible one i guess i havent been told much about it. My appointment is on 1st November & it has taken 3 months to get it, if i change it now i will have to wait longer, i think i will go to this one & if nothing is found i will demand a colonoscopy or do you think i can ask for it on the day?

Julie

Erika

Postby Erika » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:49 pm

Julie-
I also want to encourage you to push/ demand a colonoscopy. You should call the doctor asap about setting up a colonoscopy, not ask for it the day of the scheduled sig. I don't mean to scare you, but lots of bleeding and pain can indicate something serious and you need to be forceful with the doctor. Age should not be a factor in deciding whether to do a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, symptoms are symptoms as many of us can attest. Please keep us updated and good luck.
Erika
Stage IV survivor, diagnosed at age 22

julie

Postby julie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:46 am

I hear what you are saying but the thing is I live in England and as you may know we have a National Health Service here so I feel I would get laughed at if I ask for more than what they have offered as it is totally free! I know this may frustrate a lot of you but I feel I have my hands tied, I will look into it though and see if I can find a way around it.

Thankyou ALL for your concern and I will keep you updated, hugs to you ALL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Holly

Scope

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:29 pm

I so can appreciate that you may live in another country. The fact of the matter is that this is your health and wellness and I encourage you to be proactive in the management of your health. I believe that ALL things are possible. Should you require resources on how to proceed with your healthcare system, please do ask. The colon club is a wonderful forum for support, hope, inspiration and information. I will have you in my prayers. Please do not forget to smile :lol: God Bless!

julie

julie

Postby julie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Our government get paid by our National Insurance Contribution which we pay through our wages, so because our doctors get paid a fixed amount they really dont care what happens to us, there is a big debate going on about our health system, every election time they say they are gonna make it better but never do, but anyway after my tests if they still come back that i have nothing wrong me :x i am gonna go private but will cost me & family dearly :cry: but a life is a life :lol:

julie

Postby julie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 am

Also I am waiting for an e-mail from the NHS itself with advice on this matter, but if anyone has any information or knows anything about our system please let me know.

Thankyou hugs to you ALL xxxxxxxxxxxx

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”