We got the talk today from Lauren's doctors updated below

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

We got the talk today from Lauren's doctors updated below

Postby janklo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Its been a long day and now I'm turning to all of you to spill all my inner thoughts and get your wise ones in return.

We saw a vast array of docs today - oncologist with his fellow and his student, pulmonologist, palliative care, infectious disease and his student. All of them strongly gave us the same strong message: once the pneumonia is gone, the cancer has taken off and hospice is the only thing left. There is the small bowel blockage and it's caused ascites. This causes pain of course. It's like they really really wanted to make sure we got it. And we did.

Other than that it was good, they turned off the sedation and Lauren was pretty conscious. She has the vent and these giant mittens covering her hands to keep her from pulling her tubes out. We all talked to her and she nodded and shook her head, she knew we were there and she has no pain. They took the mittens off briefly but she tried to pull the tube out, so back on they went and with a bit of sedation. Tomorrow the tube should come out and definitely by Monday we can take her back home. So right now her sister and I are packing some things for her, trying to decide what she will want and need.

So the doctors said two weeks max. What do you guys think? Should I count on that much time to get stuff done and plans made? Or should I plan less? We helped the nurse grab her arms back when she tried to pull out the tubes and she is still very stRong that way. She'll get iv fluids and pain meds on hospice care. Ive browsed through posts and it seems most people get about 2-3 weeks. I am just trying to wrap this all up in my brAin and not forget anything. We are at her condo tonight (my husband stayed at the hospital tonight) and every corner is just a reminder of her independent life she has been living here and loving.

Now please say something - you guys always make me feel better! I need some strength tonight to get me through.
Last edited by janklo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

abuttigi

Re: We got the talk today from Lauren's doctors

Postby abuttigi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I wish I had something to say to make you feel better, better yet, I wish I was there in person to give you the biggest hug. Just know you are not alone... you are surrounded by the love, thoughts, and prayers of this group. We are with you. I hope you can get some peace and rest through this ordeal.

Thinking and praying for all of you,
Angie
Daughter to George (64)
Dx'ed Jan '11 Stage IV CC liver and peritoneum, KRAS mutant
Folfox
Folfori, Avastin
SIRT
Aug '12- progression in liver, mets to lungs
Oct '12- mets to bone, Regorafenib
Nov '12- Hospice
12/10/12- Became my beautiful angel in heaven

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Oh my gosh - I do not have experience in any of these issues, I'm sorry. I don't even know what ascites is? Caused from a blockage? Is the blockage a tumor?
I am just so, so saddened by this news. I have been pulling for Lauren, praying for her constantly, talked about her again tonight, this time with my hubby (last night it was my friend on the phone) I am shocked and just so so upset for you and her and of course your whole family. My heart is breaking for you right now. I guess I am not being much help to you right now, but I know others will come along with wise words. Just know I am still praying for Lauren and I am praying for you too, so you may have the strength to get through these next couple of days and weeks while trying to make, which are probably the most important decisions you will ever have to make. God bless you and of course I am hoping for a miracle. Wish I was there to give you a big hug.
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

rehab1

Postby rehab1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Janklo....I have been following your posts for a while, and am very sad to hear about your situation with Lauren. It's such a hard call to make in regards of the length of time you may / may not have. I have been with people in various situations as this and no one really knows other then what the doctors say but they do not always get it right as well.....either way. Lauren it seems is very sure about her IV tubes. Maybe she is trying to tell everyone something? not always sure on that call. Some families work on plans as the day / week goes, other families will totally be so devastated they cannot get things done. One can tell you what to do Janklo, but go with your gut feeling...or talk it out with your family. Making plans now makes it easier later, that being said someone can then tell you 'well you have given up hope'....no! you haven't because there is still hope despite your plans...that in itself does not change. Have seen the strength of people despite the fact they are so sick....always love that because it says ' I'm still here, just so you know'....how nice it is that she recognized you all. Not everyone gets that chance...cherish the moments as these. Great that your husband took the nite shift.....and yes its VERY tough being in a spot where you see Lauren's life as how it was in the condo. Sincere blessings to you Janklo and family...my heart goes out to you all. One day at a time....and try to get some sleep ( realize that's not easy )
pete
2011 ~ stage 3a / surgery and then xeloda 6 months
2014 ~ ned

Angiemarie2000
Facebook Username: Angela.boles

Postby Angiemarie2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 am

My heart aches for you. I'm praying for a miracle. Only one man says when it's over (not those doctors) and it ain't over! I know you have a ton to get done, but don't let these tasks consume you. Spend this time with your baby girl :D

Sending hugs, love and prayers!

Angie
5/12- @ 37 DX IV KRASmt
5/12- R. Hemi
6/12- Folfox/avastin-(Bad Reaction)
6/12- xeliri-7rds
CEA-DX @ 80 then 11,10,7,14,25,210,340,540,900
12/12-R. Ovary removed
01/13- folfox 4 rounds
03/13- folfox failed, in liver failure, starting regorafebin.

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:14 am

I wish I had something constructive or helpful to say. I can't believe they said two weeks, can things really turn around so quick? I know that Lauren has suffered recently with nausea and recent hospital stays, but two weeks? Wasn't it last week that she was hoping to go back to work? This must seem so surreal for you all. Lauren is such a strong and determined young woman and I can see where she gets it from...from you. I don't know what to say only to go with your instincts, I don't think that you can go wrong, no-one knows for sure. Just love her and be with her and that's what you're doing. Just wish I could help you.

My thoughts, prayers and love are with you all,

Michelle xoxo
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 am

This is heartbreaking. My sense is that you've always been tuned in to Lauren's needs and wants. You're a wonderful mom. Will pray for wisdom and strength as you navigate a terrible process. I'm so very sorry.
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

Lara239

Postby Lara239 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 am

She is strong and so are you. I dont know what else to say but I will be praying for Lauren....intensely.
wife of DH (age 41) DX 8/3/2012 with 10 cm tumor in decending colon
pre-surgery CEA 4.4, no spread to other organs
8/22 - resection DX stage 3c 9/44 positive nodes
10/3/2012 CEA 1.3
Lynch test negative, tumor IS MSI-H
Folfox 10/3/2012 w/Yance protocol

rosa01

Postby rosa01 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 am

I am so glad she knows you are there and taking care of her. The most important thing she needs is her family's love. Talk with her and remember the special times you spent with her. I am glad she gets to go home. The angels will be with her and help here when she needs it. My prayers will be with all of you.

God Bless and keep you.

SHEILA
DX 12/11 DH Stg 4 cc age 60
12/20/1 1 lungs mets
2/1/12 started chemo oxe/ava/5-fu
3/12 liver mete fnd
5/12 new chemo irt/Eberix
8/12 lung surg
10/12 irt/Eberix
11/22- 02/2013 NED
02/13 nw right lung met
06/13 2 New liver lesion
06/13 chemo ?

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 am

Hello,
I have no words of wisdom but I want you to know I've been following your and Lauren's story from the beginning and I am so sorry about this latest turn of events. I think about you and Lauren a lot lately and I hope everything goes as well as possible in the next while.

Your strength and resilience is incredible - it always has been - and I know that no matter what you're facing or about to face, you will land on your feet.
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 am

janklo wrote: Now please say something - you guys always make me feel better! I need some strength tonight to get me through.

John Lennon :
"Whatever gets you through the night
It's all right, it's alright."

WE are here on hospice "family watch" for my M-I-L, been on hi dose morphine for 13 days. Nothing is ever what you expect.
I understand why she, 91 years old, is where she is, I don't understand why she is going through what she has to.

Lauren is about the same age as my daughter. For all my 30+ years as a vet with medical experience, father, 61 years as a human being..I do NOT understand why your Lauren is going through what she is.

I know her Journey is hers. I know you need to be there to support her, and we need to be here to support you.
I am personally getting to the point, I am not really sure that I don't know much more than that.

Whatever is...IS. We can only be there to support our loved ones, let them know they are not alone, and let them know we stand beside them in whatever the future holds. Prayer, hope and support is what we can give... and love.......lots of love.

With you in Harmony
always on a Journey.

Peace and Love
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jacekica
Facebook Username: jasminka marout

Postby jacekica » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 am

I am very sorry for this outcome. Lauren is happy and concious about your presence, maybe as osmeone says she wants to tell you something - it is horrible and sad that someone so young and so willing to live is in such condition. DO as you feel is right to do just now, but the most important is your presence for Lauren. It is good she is not in pain.
You can do just minute by minute through the day and through the days that come. How long it will be only God knows, why it is Lauren and you also - his will is sometimes so hard and difficult to understand and accept, this is situation when it becomes impossible.
My prayers are with you, i hope Lauren will find great peace of heart and mind, she will be without pain, and if it is her time - that she will go thorugh it peacefully. Only love can make it possible for all of you to get this to the outcome - but still I pray for miracle - I have a friend - sufferer od IV stage who was in hospital waiting for passing and he has a vision, more feeeling of a 3 angels and now he is with us, he goes to chemo every other week for 3 years now.
So sorry, so sad but what can I d or say, nothing, I can just pray............
Dx 2/11
surgery 5/11, T2N0MX, G2, SRC rectal ca, 22 cm removed
CT- numerous mets in abdomen - LN, 2 big ones on pancreas, one penetrated right urether. Surgery, they just take samples for PHD, 6 roundds 5FU, refuse further chemos

Patience

Postby Patience » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 am

I am so sorry to hear of the sad progression of Lauren's condition. I hope you are able to find peacefulness in knowing that you are there for her, and that she knows you are there. Loving time with her is what you now have, everything else can wait a bit. Do what your heart feels, and let the less important be set aside.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

Kekeg

Postby Kekeg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:30 am

Janklo - Including Lauren and your family in prayers. Taking care of essential tasks for Lauren, and spending time together as a family may be the most important - it is so obvious she is surrounded by your love. God bless you as you move through the next few weeks.
KeKeG age 58
Colon cancer - adneocarcinoma dx 5/2011
Stage III b
T3N1Mx
Rt colectomy 5/2011
Chemotherapy 6/2011 -2/2012
5FU, leukovorin, irrintocan
PET clear 2012
Lung nodules on chest CT 8/2012, unchanged 12/2012
CT 4/9/2013 NED, nodules unchanged
CT 4/2014 NED, nodules unchanged
CT 4/2015 NED nodules both lungs, unchanged size
CT 5/2016 NED 5 year survivor of Stage IIIB!!

cecioboe
Facebook Username: Ceci Lagarenne (Higgins)

Postby cecioboe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 am

Dear Janet,
My heart is breaking as I read your post. No one knows how long a person will stay on this earth, she may be here longer. Follow your heart and spend as much time with her as you can.
I am lifting Lauren and all of you up in my prayers for comfort, peace and strength.
And if it is all right with you, I will donate to the Colon Cancer Alliance in Lauren's honor. There is the Undy 5000 run in Dallas tomorrow for this cause. We are already entered and I will add Lauren as a team member.
Ceci
Wife to Jim Stage IV RC w/liver mets
DX 9/16/11
T3N1M1
Oct - Dec 2011 chemo/rad
1/04/12 ileo
1/16/12 LAR, liver resection
2/29/12 blockage, emer surg, ileo rev
4/16/12- 9/16/12 chemo
NED since 10/22/12
De-ported 6/24/16

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”