stage 1 to stage 4

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wkj247
Facebook Username: Kellie Goldman Melson

stage 1 to stage 4

Postby wkj247 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi all,
2 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer, no lymph nodes involved. I had 15ins. of my sigmoid cancer removed and was told I was cured. Fast forward and had trouble breathing in July and my family doctor took a chest x-ray. They discovered a tumor in my right lung. My oncologist was surprised that it was metasized colon cancer, I think he thought it was lung cancer. So now I am two months out from having my right lung removed as well as the entire tumor also no lymph nodes involved and started chemo yesterday! I am so frustrated that all those blood test for tumor markers failed me. My pumonolgist can not believe it went to my lung and not my liver. Just so angry with it all.

CRguy

Re: stage 1 to stage 4

Postby CRguy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Sorry you've had to join us again, but cancer does not play by the rules..... :(
Wishing you strength and courage moving ahead with the chemo and healing.

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

simon031003

Postby simon031003 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Glad you have a plan going forward. I pray for strength for you during the treatment.
Michelle wife of Esteban
T3N1M0 12/31/10
Folfox 2/22/11
9/19/2011 confirmed cancerous lymph nodes via biopsy; started FOLFIRI with Avastian turned into FOLFIRI with Ebritux now FOLFIRI w Vectibux 12/12 mets to liver and pancreas
2/17/13 resting in Heaven

Livelife

Postby Livelife » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh, thats a shocker.... At least now everything is on the table and you know exactly what it is. On and forward - we are all with you 8)

Best wishes and please keep us updated.
Murray
Riding Americas http://www.steelhorsetour.com
Mar11 DX St4 liver&lungs,37yo
CEA3213, CA19.9 13000
Apr11 XELOX+AV
June11 Got married:)
Aug11 No Ox,cont.Xel+Av
Jan12 CEA17, CA19.9 76
Primary GONE!
Xel+Av
Nov12 Markers skyhigh
FOLFIRI+Erbitux

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Recurrent cancer is always a shock, and stage I recurrent isn't the most common scenario, but unfortunately, it does happen. Yeah, it's got to be frustrating to have not had any indications from the traditional markers that your cancer was developing, but unfortunately sometimes our illness exceeds the science we have available.

It does sound though like your doctors have a plan and are ready to get your treatment aimed at managing the lung mets. So while they're taking care of the physical part of this, remember that it can help you, a lot, to meet with a professional counselor or support group who specializes in people who have recurrent cancers. It can help a lot to speak with someone who can help you process your feelings, someone who has been where you are now.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 am

I am so sorry to hear your cancer has progressed to stage I V. We are here to help support you through this journey.

Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

minolfa

Postby minolfa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 am

If you don't mind me asking, how were you diagnosed?
was a polyp removed during colonoscopy?
Then, being the polyp malignant, you went for surgery?
thanks
myrta

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 am

Lung mets here, too.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

MonaL

Postby MonaL » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 am

Dad went from Stage I to Stage IV in a matter of months if I recall correctly. It really sucks. His mets though were to the liver and more easily dealt with than the lung.

Do take care, and I also highly encourage counseling and support groups.
Dad, stage IV CC, mets to liver, 2007-2008
surgery, Xelox, and IP-6
NED summer 2009
surveillance stopped summer 2014, due to age
died 1/2018 at age 88, from Parkinson's and respiratory infection
(Parkinson's triggered by one of his cancer surgeries and/or chemo)

beth568

Postby beth568 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:25 am

Just...unfair, isn't it? Not that there's any such thing as "fair" where cancer is concerned. We'll be here to talk you through it.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:41 am

So sorry to hear that. Am sure it is a huge shock. Hope you have a good support system around you.
d
Daughter of loving dad, dx Stage IIIC Mar 10
Resect Apr 10. 1 lymph nodes positive
Heart history has ruled out treatments
NED to date!

wendy1

Postby wendy1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Four yrs ago I was diagnosed with what the doctors thought was stage 3 cc. Before I started chemo my oncologist sent me for a pet scan to put my mind at ease. It did the opposite because some lymph nodes near my kidney lit up but couldn't be biopsied since it was too close to my aorta. After chemo, on my first scan it didn't light up but the next one did. I started to scan more often and every other scan it lit up. Finally it grew enough to have it biopsied but I was told that it most likely wasn't cc since it hadn't spread anywhere else, and it just wasn't acting as if it were cc. My Dr was very surprised to find out it was indeed cc. Halfway thru chemo I had a scan to see if it was shrinking and instead was told that I now have spots on both my lungs. Once again, cc wasn't suspected because cc usually goes to the liver. Well guess what, it is cc and all my Drs were surprised. I have always been told that everyone reacts different, which is very true. Throughout the last 4 yrs I have never seemed to fit any profile, whether it was when I first was diagnosed or when I have side effects from any of the chemo's I've been on!

Nothing seems to surprise me anymore because everyone is different. The statistics for me aren't good but once again I'm going to be different. I'm going to be one of the statistics that makes it!,,
DX Nov 2007, surgery, 6 months chemo. Mets to nodes had to wait 2 yrs before finding out cancer. 6 more months chemo, then mets to lungs. 6 more months chemo, not wking, cancer grew. Starting new chemo today, Cancer won't take me, old age will!

Jimswife

Postby Jimswife » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi was the Tumor in the colon or lower down nearer the rectum ? Ive heard rectal mets to lungs and colon to liver first ? As a rule but I guess cancer dosent always play by the rules , sorry to hear about this .
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Jimswife - I had a low rectal tumor that at first ONLY mets'd to the liver. I didn't develop lung mets until 7+ years after dx and five years after my liver tumors' resection.

I'm not really sure how or where the idea that colon tumors mets to the liver first where rectal tumors mets first to the lungs, but it's been dead opposite of that for nearly every rectal cancer patient I've known - they have liver mets, not lung mets. Still, I hear that line over an over and I wonder "what patients do THEY know?"

It's a lot closer to what you posted - cancer has no rules. It's like a water leak; it goes to the place of least resistance and most opportunity. Just like a stage I patient experiencing recurrence after seven years...if researchers could understand why cancer is so unpredicatable, we'd all rest a lot easier.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Gaelen wrote:I'm not really sure how or where the idea that colon tumors mets to the liver first where rectal tumors mets first to the lungs, but it's been dead opposite of that for nearly every rectal cancer patient I've known - they have liver mets, not lung mets. Still, I hear that line over an over and I wonder "what patients do THEY know?"

I'm a rectal patient w/mets to lungs and not liver. I think Brownbagger is also rectal w/mets to lungs, not liver.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”