February 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

February 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:05 am

I did my favorite ski outing up north yesterday--10 miles out and back. But it was a hard ten miles because we have about two feet of fresh snow and I had to break the trail all the way out. I have some pretty wide skis for just that job, but it's still a lot of work. My legs are pretty sore today. I don't think I'll go out today, but I might.

Get out there everyone--get some fresh air, get your blood pumping and work or walk off some of your frustrations and anxiety. For me, there's nothing better than a good workout followed by a great meal and a glass of wine, followed by a Super Bowl game, then off to bed for a good night's sleep. Monday? meh.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

helen098

Re: February 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Postby helen098 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 am

Made it to the gym on sat….not too much snow and ice so no falls yea
But I have such a dam cold..sore throat..stuffy runny nose eyeballs hurt and I want to sleep all the time…guess my luck ran out.. all my friends and coworkers are on their 4 or 5th cold/flu
So I am still doing well..but its only 10am and I want a nap :(
Don’t think the boss will go for it :roll:
Monday is my gym day but no way today..don’t think the others would appreciate my sneezing/coughing all over the machines…
Yuck winter I want to see the sun
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

helen098

Postby helen098 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 am

dupe quess i am sick
Last edited by helen098 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

MarkS.

Postby MarkS. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 am

Now that I'm officially done with chemo I was hoping to focus more on getting to my "race" weight....(not that I'm fast or anything; just want to be a tad lighter).

I'm probably going to start 2adays in the next week or so. I definitely need to get into the pool more as I've slacked on swimming. Biking and runs are good though and will improve in the next few months. I've really ratcheted up my weights so I feel more lean (and mean!....lol). I want to do an indoor tri sometime in the next month in a half just to get myself up to speed......
5/2010 DX'd Sigmoid CCr
6/2010 Colectomy. Sigmoid Colon
Stage 3C.T3 N2 M0; 6/14 Lymph Nodes
8/2010 FOLFOX: 12 Rounds
6/2011 NED
8/2012 Avastin/5FU Lung Mets
3/2013 CT/PET Normal
6/2013 Xeloda/Avastin Maintenance
2/2014, 9/2014 CT/PET Clear
4/2016 17mm Lung Met
5/2016 CyberKnife
6/2016 85% Tumor Reduction

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 am

Sounds good, Mark. If you were in good shape prior to chemo (sounds like you were), you'll be surprised at how fast you recover whatever you lost during tx. I know I was. It felt really good to have my body rebound like that.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Bill-Your pics reminded me of a heavy snow when I was young and me and my brother dug tunnels through the yard. Good memories :D

The dog is adorable and obviously very happy!

I have been waking up starving but then the thought of food makes me nauseous. These hunger pains are not the normal ones, these feel like i am really starving. So I have starting with tomato or orange juice to stop the hunger pains. Then after a little bit some toast is appetizing. After that I am ok with eating. I feel like those hunger pains are a beast (Cancer) in side me saying "feed me!", so I am tempted at times not to eat. The few times I tried to not eat when I was this hungry I nearly passed out so I make sure to at least drink some juice.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Nice goals Mark :).

As I expected, got lots of "unconventional" exercise on Maui. Lots of SCUBA diving which although is mostly easy, but still leaves you feeling whipped at the end from the increased work of breathing (my research is good for something ;)). Did a few hikes up the various volcanoes into the rainforests there, a 6 and 4 miler with 2000' and 1500' worth of elevation respectively. Not very hard, but some breathaking views. And of course constant swims, runs, and pushups on the beach :). I don't think Biking DOWN Haleakala counts though ;)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

fritts44
Facebook Username: Lee Fritts

Postby fritts44 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I just started running again after being given the ok from the surgeon. It felt so good to run again! I'm starting off really slowly, however, and starting with a run/walk. I'm going to try to continue to do this all the way through my chemo (I'm only 1 month in). Were you guys able to continue exercising during chemo?

Lee F.
Lee F
RC dx 12/16/10
resection & perm colo 12/17/10
8 rounds chemo, 28 rounds radiation
finished 8/26/2011
clean scope 9/20/2011
clean CT scan 12/26/2011
NED

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Exercising during chemo was the one thing I could do that would make me feel good; make me feel normal. I had 4 rounds of Xelox (three weeks per) and I put an average of 250 miles on my bike per round. So that was 1,000 miles. Time and effort well spent.
Eric, 58

SkiFletch

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Hell yeah Lee, I'll second what Eric said. Weight lifted and trained to climb mountains all through treatment. Then when treatment was over, I used that training, busted out the day pack and tackled a couple high peaks in the Adirondacks in a day :). I too remember finally getting back to the gym after the 1st surgery and feeling "normal" again. You'll be surprised at how your body responds as you'd think it would with exercise on chemo. Remember, muscle, tendons, bone, etc aren't cells that are normally dividing, so they are not affected by chemo. Muscle fiber growth and development is an entirely different biochemical process, so feel free to exercise. One word of caution, don't run the day before your infusion because the exercise can temporarily deplete WBC and chemo might have to be held as a result. Treat the day before infusion as a rest day for a big race and you'll be fine. Trust me, I worked out A LOT during chemo and as long as you abide by that resting the day before rule, you should be fine. For anyone else reading this, make sure you get the OK from your surgeon like Lee did, cause you don't want a hernia, but once he/she gives you the OK, go out and hit it :)

Went back to the gym yesterday for the first time since the Honeymoon and was happy to see that my strength didn't diminish. It was pretty funny walking around the gym bieng the only tan guy in the place. I bet everyone thought I was busy using the tanning beds :lol:. Still taking it slow with the abdominals and I'm beginning to realize they may never return all the way to their former strength after that full incision. They're by no means hindering my day-to-day activities, but I can't quite do the insane levels of abdominal stuff I used to. No more like lunatic yoga poses or doing hanging leg raises/windshield wipers like I used to :(. But hey, I'm still working at it. I can do 3 hanging leg raises now... And who knows, maybe my spring/summer landscaping projects I have lined up will toughen them back up. Planning on building an extra parking space out of paving stones, replacing a shrub bed, widening the driveway with pavers, grading the backyard, and running an underground electric line to the garage. The shovel and I will be best friends :lol:
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED

fritts44
Facebook Username: Lee Fritts

Postby fritts44 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks, Fletch -- glad you told me about the day-before rule! I've been thinking "Get it all in before the next round", including the morning of my infusion, because I know I will be tired for 3 days after. I'll be sure to schedule in my "off" days of running.

We used to live in upstate New York (beautiful Schenectady -- I tease my husband that I can't say Schenectady without putting "beautiful" in front of it because it's the anti-beautiful, no offense to anyone from Schenectady!). My favorite part of living there was hiking in the Adirondacks. It is absolutely so beautiful & we still swear that when we retire we're going to by a lake house on Saranac Lake -- we kayak toured all over that place & discovered islands & hideouts that we swore no one had walked on before!). The funny thing about hiking there, though, was the very first summer we had moved there. We're both from NC & as soon as the weather turned above 70 degrees (ie, JUNE!), we hit Bear Mountain. By the time we got to the top, our legs were covered in blood & we had no idea what was wrong! It was really freaking us out. It wasn't until we got back & told our friends about our hike that we found out -- black flies. They looked at us like we were idiots for not knowing that you don't hike above a certain level until black fly season is over.

We really enjoyed it up there, though -- cross-country skiing in the winter, hiking & kayak touring in the summer (all 6 weeks of it!). Down here, the "indoor" season is in the summer because it's so brutally hot!

Lee F.
Lee F
RC dx 12/16/10
resection & perm colo 12/17/10
8 rounds chemo, 28 rounds radiation
finished 8/26/2011
clean scope 9/20/2011
clean CT scan 12/26/2011
NED

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 pm

So I broke down and joined Weight Watchers last week. The new progam seems quite reasonable...esp the fact that most veggies and fruit are 'free'. My first weigh-in was a disappointment though...zero weight loss. My fat cells just don't wanna let go.... :roll:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I work more than an hour away from home 3 days a week, but it's due north from where I live, so the skiing is usually better. Whenever possible, I spend my lunch hour skiing around the local golf course. On days like today, I'm reminded (yet again) how great it is to be alive, and active. Here's a future magazine cover that I shot on today's ski. That's the headwaters of the Moose River under all that ice and snow.

Eric, 58

TheBurn

Postby TheBurn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Incredible photo of a beautiful spot, Eric.
Living Life Colon-Free
-----------------------------------------
RC 7/20/10
Proctocolectomy/ileo 10/22/10; Sx Path - T3N1M0
Folfox - 1/12/11; Xelox - 2/23/11
Xeloda - 3/16-6/21/11
Chemo-rad 6/29-8/8/11
NED 8/15/11

SkiFletch

Postby SkiFletch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 am

Nice pic Eric :). Went Skiing myself on Saturday, although it was cloudy and dreary. No wonderful shots like that.
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”