January 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

January 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:45 pm

I've never started one of these, but I always enjoy participating. I guess it's my turn.

Today I rode 42 miles on my bike. It was a cool, wet day but there wasn't much traffic and I got on the bike and just felt liberated. Went farther than I planned, but enjoyed every minute of it. My goal for the coming year is to ride at least 4,000 miles and hopefully closer to 5K. Last year I logged just over 3,600, but that was punctuated by lapses caused by a partially collapsed lung following a needle bioposy, a Stage 4 dx, 'old school' lung surgery and a bit of chemo. I also need to cut, haul, split and stack at least 15 full cords of firewood and, of course, garden, paint the house, etc. etc. in 2011.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bill5107

Re: January 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Postby Bill5107 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Great BB!

I did a brisk mile walk today, that's all. Hoping to hike in the snowy woods tomorrow with a buddy though. Will report back.
2010-07-02 Dx rectal cancer (Stage 3)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
'-10-13 APR surgery, 10/18 nodes still active
'-11-22 12x2wk rnds FOLFOX
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Well done buddy. I didn't do much today, just a couple miles walking to/from the Sabres game. Tomorrow I'm going to enjoy my last day of peace and quiet at the gym. The crowds will start monday :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

GreenLakeGirl

Postby GreenLakeGirl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:54 pm

I walked the three miles around my lake as part of the small Ugly Wig and Bad Tracksuit walk on New Year's Day. No ugly tracksuit, but I sported a colon cancer blue wig and my survivor shirt. I would like to see myself make the time to walk the lake three times a week.
2009, age 37 with a 2yo: CC, IIIB (T4N1M0). IBD history
2010-11: FOLFOX, 12 rounds. 5 surgeries (3-step Ileal j-pouch, infection, VATS)
Currently NED.
Mom, you can go the hard way if you want, but the easy way is much easier. ~my 3yo

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 pm

I have done decently keeping away from sweets and carbs for the last few days. Did some minor yard work(trimming shrubs) and palyed outside with Lilli most of the day. Now I am waiting for Lilli to go to wake up from her nap so we can go for a walk/tricycle ride. For my birthday my Mom bought a tricycle that can be guided/pushed by an adult to help Lilli learn to pedal and make it more fun for her on my walks. Lilli LOVES her new bike and begs me to go for walks now which helps motivate me. I am doing my best to excersise more bacause I really want Lilli to be more active than I was and think that if she see's me doing this stuff she will want to do it herself.

With her new bike helmet

In her new tricycle
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

SkiFletch

Postby SkiFletch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Hah, love the cupholder and cellphone, teach em early :)

Enjoyed my last day of peace and quiet at the gym today. Parked right in front of the door and took advantage of the empty place to do a doulbe workout. Did Legs/Shoulders and bicep/tricep today. I really wanted to take tomorrow off, but since I'm scope prepping tuesday, I figure I should suck it up and deal with the crowds tomorrow. I asked some of the gym employees and the trainers if they were ready for tomorrow and most gave me a half terrified laugh :). The trainers I talked to both remarked that they were glad they weren't class instructors and I couldn't blame them for that sentiment.

Strength has gotten back to pre-cancer levels for sure. I'm still struggling with size, but that's a constant battle for me. I'm not up to my collegiate level of fitness yet and I'm realistic that it's been 10 years since I worked out with my buddy who'se now an Army Ranger and I may never achieve that level of size/fitness again. Back then at the end of my sophomore and through my junior year of college, I was 188-192lbs and under 10% body fat, damn I looked good. Cancer or no cancer, I'd love to get back there again, but it'll be a long way to go. Still hovering in the 175lb range and definitely ludicrously lean. I haven't done the underwater weighing in a while, but after years of doing it, I can usually predict the body fat percentage pretty well by the belly (or lack thereof) and figure I'm probably around 8% right now. Putting on another 15lbs of muscle is going to be hard, but I'm sure as hell gonna try :)
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Wow! this got buried on page 3 so fast! Lol

I finally tried to get out in daylight to do more biking. I found reasonable headgear, skii goggles, gloves and even talked my son into joining for the first mile of biking in our neighborhood.

But wouldn't you know it? 1.1. miles in I noticed I couldn't get any resistance from the pedals on my way down the 1/2 mile descent....which I smartly stopped to investigate before getting all the way to the bottom...my derailleur utterly fell apart for it's last time....half of it was just plain gone, I'm guessing lost on the previous ascent :roll: This derailleur has been beat up for so long that I'm amazed it's lasted as well as it did, so no real loss, just inconvenient timing. Was hoping to make it to the next time I took it in for a tuneup anyway.

So I sent my bike to the shop and peeked at a couple 2010 and 2011 road bikes too...if the plastic has cooled enough I just might have a chance at working the Ol' magic on the wife this weekend :mrgreen:

And the best part is I've been walking enough and doing other activities that I don't even feel the effects of the ride. I'm stoked to get out more now than ever.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

SkiFletch

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Sucks about the bike Bill, but glad you got out :)
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Well, I joined WW again and started back on their new PointsPlus plan on the 1st. Kept my weigh in though on Sunday. So far, I've lost 4 lbs this week but I recognize that the first week is always a 'better' week than most others. Due to the taking down of decorations, etc. I guess I'm logging in some exercise - lots of walking up and down the steps, vacuuming galore, basically just keeping me moving which is good. I really like this new plan better - just the 'extra' points, the larger number of points, etc. is a huge plus.

Too cold & wet to do much outside but planning on getting outside tomorrow to get the rest of the lights off the bushes, etc. No way am I even thinking about stuff like riding a bike, etc. Right now, it's enough to be carrying all of the boxes, etc. up and down the steps and moving all the furniture back into the living room, and bringing in the firewood every night. etc.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Well, I joined WW again and started back on their new PointsPlus plan on the 1st. Kept my weigh in though on Sunday. So far, I've lost 4 lbs this week but I recognize that the first week is always a 'better' week than most others. Due to the taking down of decorations, etc. I guess I'm logging in some exercise - lots of walking up and down the steps, vacuuming galore, basically just keeping me moving which is good. I really like this new plan better - just the 'extra' points, the larger number of points, etc. is a huge plus.

Too cold & wet to do much outside but planning on getting outside tomorrow to get the rest of the lights off the bushes, etc. No way am I even thinking about stuff like riding a bike, etc. Right now, it's enough to be carrying all of the boxes, etc. up and down the steps and moving all the furniture back into the living room, and bringing in the firewood every night. etc.

Jaynee

My wife did well with WW. I hope you have good success as well. Firewood eh? That can be a lot of work, or just as much as you like, if it's not a primary source eh?
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, it's pretty much the primary source for the upstairs (we have a 1200 sq ft daylight basement). Occasionally the living room heaters will turn on, but I turn them off right away! We've already moved 2 cords of wood inside back in early October and now that that is gone, we have to move the other 2 cords from the backyard sheds to the garage. That's one thing nice about having all the kiddos gone. I've now got the oversized 3 car garage down to just 2 cars - so plenty of room for the firewood. Yep, it really is a lot of work but I know its good for me.

I also had good success on WW last year but messed up back in the fall when I went off 'for just a little while' - yeah right! I'm back on now and doing all right so far. I'm going to be realistic this time - 1-2 pounds/week and just keep working on it.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Postby Phuong » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am

Our complex just renovated the gym, so new machines for me. :) Plus I don't really have to deal with any crowds so I don't have any excuse (except for this flu that is) to get back into the gym. Am also doing walks on the hills with the dog. We can both use it!

Well, I joined WW again and started back on their new PointsPlus plan on the 1st. Kept my weigh in though on Sunday. So far, I've lost 4 lbs this week but I recognize that the first week is always a 'better' week than most others. Due to the taking down of decorations, etc. I guess I'm logging in some exercise - lots of walking up and down the steps, vacuuming galore, basically just keeping me moving which is good. I really like this new plan better - just the 'extra' points, the larger number of points, etc. is a huge plus.

Jaynee, my friend is a WONDERFUL chef and recreated some of her recipes based on when she was doing WW. You might enjoy some of them. Very tasty! :)
http://mailihealthyrecipes.blogspot.com/
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 am

Hee hee..this post is an "exercise averted" one :mrgreen:

So I was sleeping in this morning...and woke up 'cause I had to go to the bathroom, but it was soooooo comfy and warm in bed, I waited and waited and as I began to accept the inevitability I noticed how loud it was. I never heard neighbor's snowblowers so loud before. Weird, I thought, head still in that weird sleep daze that makes you think it makes any sense to wait to wait when you "gotta go".

Well, eventually it dawned on me I heard scraping actually echo too...so I eventually propped myself up on an elbow and looked out the window. Hee hee...turned out my neighbor and I believe his adult daughter were snowblowing and shoveling our walkway and driveway. :D

I haven't been to visit my neighbor in quite a while now. Last time I fussed over their sofa because it was so much more comfortable than anything we had, particularly with my healing "Ken butt", which at the time, was still very sore and not allowing much sitting at all. We were gone for a week last time it snowed, I expect he's the one who blew the driveway for me while I was gone then too. So I feel a little guilty about it since I can easily do this myself now, and probably could use the exercise.

But ya know what? It's nice to have good neighbors. 8)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 am

weisssoccermom wrote:Well, it's pretty much the primary source for the upstairs (we have a 1200 sq ft daylight basement).

Interesting, hauling firewood is what I'll be doing today, and hopefully tomorrow. We heat exclusively with wood and we have a big house (2,800 sq ft of old farmhouse) in a cold climate, so we burn a lot of wood. That means I cut, haul, split, stack and haul a lot of wood. A few years ago I installed a wood gasification boiler, which produces a lot of heat and zero smoke.

Before I got into bicycling, I kind of went nuts cutting wood--to the point where I had about 43 full cords stacked out in back of the barn. My wife said, "You're nuts." I said, "Well, you never know what's going to happen--I could get hurt or sick or lose my job (and thus access to the woodlot), and then at least we'd have a few years worth of free heat stacked out in the back yard." Then I got dx. So it's all good. I've got enough to get trough the rest of this winter and half of next winter, so there' definitely some more woodcutting in my immediate future. The boiler works great (heats all our hot water, too), but it needs really dry wood. So you have to stay ahead of the game.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 am

Looked something like this:

Eric, 58

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”