January 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
patrick198
Facebook Username: patrick198

Re: January 2011 Exercise/Weight Loss Thread

Postby patrick198 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am

BrownBagger wrote:I've never started one of these, but I always enjoy participating. I guess it's my turn.

Today I rode 42 miles on my bike. It was a cool, wet day but there wasn't much traffic and I got on the bike and just felt liberated. Went farther than I planned, but enjoyed every minute of it free online movies
. My goal for the coming year is to ride at least 4,000 miles and hopefully closer to 5K. Last year I logged just over 3,600, but that was punctuated by lapses caused by a partially collapsed lung following a needle bioposy, a Stage 4 dx, 'old school' lung surgery and a bit of chemo. I also need to cut, haul, split and stack at least 15 full cords of firewood and, of course, garden, paint the house, etc. etc. in 2011.

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

vickster

Postby vickster » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Anyway, listen to your body, but don't let your brain or pre-concieved notions keep you from exercising. It can be done

Thanks, I needed to hear that.
12/14/10 Dx at age 40; staged at IIa, T3N0M0
1/17/11 FOLFOX starts, Oxi reduced for Rounds 8-9, 5FU/LV for Rounds 10-12
7/6/11 LAST CHEMO TREATMENT!
Lynch negative

5/26/11 Mom dx with Stage III colon cancer at age 75 :-(
FOLFOX starts 7/18/11 :-(

vickster

Postby vickster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:14 pm

I just finished a 30 mile *slow* bike ride!!! AND I FEEL GREAT!! I just can't believe it! I can't remember the last time I felt this good on the bike - not winded, not fatigued, just great...it's nuts! It's amazing what having the *almost* right amount of iron in your body will do for you! I'm so happy, and feeling so grateful!!!!

Let's hear a WOOP! WOOP! :-)
12/14/10 Dx at age 40; staged at IIa, T3N0M0
1/17/11 FOLFOX starts, Oxi reduced for Rounds 8-9, 5FU/LV for Rounds 10-12
7/6/11 LAST CHEMO TREATMENT!
Lynch negative

5/26/11 Mom dx with Stage III colon cancer at age 75 :-(
FOLFOX starts 7/18/11 :-(

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Hey Vickster--excellent. Amazing, isn't it?

I skied about 10 miles today. It was a pretty good workout. More tomorrow!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Whoot! Good for you Vickster!

Round 5 seems to be kicking my butt this time...so I'm doing lumberjack-laps sawing Z's today :roll:
2010-07-02 Dx rectal cancer (Stage 3)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
'-10-13 APR surgery, 10/18 nodes still active
'-11-22 12x2wk rnds FOLFOX
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Bill5107 wrote: lumberjack-laps sawing Z's today :roll:

That's good for you, Bill. I slept A LOT during chemo. I don't regret a minute of it.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:27 pm

BrownBagger wrote:
Bill5107 wrote: lumberjack-laps sawing Z's today :roll:

That's good for you, Bill. I slept A LOT during chemo. I don't regret a minute of it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying listen. I feel like a contradiction of symptoms today. Restless with no energy, turned off by thought of food(tummy feels stressed/fragile), but hungry just the same. So I just go through the motions that seem productive. Sleep, eat bland liquid & protein filled food and did I mention sleep and rest more? And I can't tell if I'm sleeping on my arms funny or neuropathy is to blame for tingling fingers....

It's convenient I suppose my schedule slipped to feel this way on a Saturday instead of a Thursday where I'd probably have been too bull headed to just pack it in for the day without a fight. . .

But this is the exercise thread and I've probably crossed the thread hijacking line. Thanks Eric for the gentle reminders. I know I'll be back in action soon enough, I'm only on day 4 of round 5 :mrgreen:
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Rotorhead

Postby Rotorhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Yeah man, when you're in treatment and too pooped to pop, there is nothing wrong with a snoozer day (or days). I will say for me, when I felt up to it, I always felt better when I got out of the house and did something active - as simple as walking the dogs, as complex as an honest workout. When I was on the fence, I'd always give it the two minute rule: If I could get started, and do an activity for two minutes without serious fatigue, I'd continue. If not - time to watch Big Lebowski again. Again, listen to your body. There'll be time to get ripped and fit once treatment/recovery is over.
-RH

I still use the 2 minute rule - if I don't want to work out in the morning, I get up and just stay vertical for two minutes. Then I'm usually good to go.
Diagnosed Stage 3 rectal cancer 11/07
chemo/rad 12/07-1/08; TME surgery 2/08
Post-surgery chemo 4/08 - 9/08 FOLFOX
CAT scan DEC 08 shows NED!
My blog: http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Vicki, congrats on doing that ride. That is really great.

Bill, don't be hard on yourself. Each treatment can take a little longer to recover, but eventually you will feel like your old self. Listen to what others have said. Take time off when needed. It isn't a sign of weakness to rest and sleep right now. You will know when you are ready to start exercising.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok folks. I was still pretty whipped but not as bad as yesterday....and yes, I probably still pushed harder than I should have but I wasnt' falling asleep every time I sat down, and I just needed to get started on clearing the snow the guys I paid to shovel our roof left in the driveway and all around the house. Oh yeah, and the pile in the back I couldn't figure out why I needed to move, my wife reminded me that the dryer vented there and in fact wouldn't work because the vent was under 5 feet of snow. :-p

I had my son help but it' was still a lot of chopping at snow anywhere from 1 foot and hard packed to over 6 feet deep and still dense (haven't been able to reach the 7-8 foot bank yet, but there is always tomorrow right?)

I did my level best to let the blower and my son do as much work as possible and slowed down when I found my arms were literally too tired to lift a couple times. Just kept on plodding along until my feet got soaked and all tingly (wool can only help soo much I guess lol)

Tomorrow I should be twice as energetic, if history tells me anything, and just in time for the next snow it seems.

The killer is that I went up on the roof directly from the back snowbank and found out why we have so much water coming in...we have a block of ice with a pool of water in the center. I didn't think to brush the water right off, but maybe tomorrow. I gave up and put some ice socks up to melt grooves in the ice dams, I figure whatever theoretical damage that can cause isn't worse than the water damage that's already happening. And if anyone is worried about me on the roof, it's pretty safe where I'm walking, and the part I'm most interested is nearly flat, hence the reason the leaking is so persistent and bad, though we've not had this before.

What are ya gonna do, eh?

Here is a picture of the front driveway. My son is standing on a pile of snow on about a 3 foot high dirt/stone section. You can see the very thick ice on the roof X-p

This is a path around the side of the house. It might look deep to you here, but keep in mind it's been melting for weeks now and is still this deep.

Here's one end of the paths I maintain for the dogs in the back yard. They like their exercise runs :-)

Here's the back of the house where I was able to just walk up and onto the roof :roll: . I knocked down some of the ice after a thick 40 pound chunk fall on my foot...luckily my foot was embedded in the snow enough to cushiuon the fall and not hurt me so much, still was painful!

Here's the happy puppy, who isn't depressed about the water dripping into the house, the puddle on the roof, the roof shoveling bils, and whatever else is going on. He's a perpetual cheerleader:
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 am

Dear Bill:

1) Sleep whenever you're sleepy. Believe me, this is one thing I'm an expert on :wink:
2) Your puppy is adorable
3) Stay off the roof, even if you can walk up there. It's for Santa only, or paid help
4) Did I mention your puppy is ADORABLE!!!
5) Stay off the roof
6) I hate snow
7) I REALLY hate WINTER this year. I mean really hate it.

Love you though :D

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 am

That's alotta snow, Bill.
Eric, 58

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 am

Wow Bill, that's a lot of snow there, reminds me of MIchigan. And I agree your puppy is ADORABLE!!!!.

I lost 1/2 pound over the weekend, feel proud of myself, usually it's the other way around. I did my power walking this am. The weather is beautiful here this time of year.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

helen098

Postby helen098 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm

naps during chemo are our friends do not forget them :)
we were saying in my office the other day wouldn't it be nice to have a nap like in kindergarden
a nap and a cookie afterwards sure would solve a lot of the worlds problems :shock:

Made it three times to the gym last week
Mon night wed morning as I had off… and sat afternood
This week is rough have my brothers birthday today, the pain doc on weds so I will see
and there is more snow coming to new york...i am begining to hate the snow :twisted:
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Bev G wrote:Dear Bill:

1) Sleep whenever you're sleepy. Believe me, this is one thing I'm an expert on :wink:
2) Your puppy is adorable
3) Stay off the roof, even if you can walk up there. It's for Santa only, or paid help
4) Did I mention your puppy is ADORABLE!!!
5) Stay off the roof
6) I hate snow
7) I REALLY hate WINTER this year. I mean really hate it.

Love you though :D

Bev

Lol! So let me see if I got this straight....I have a cute puppy and should stay off the roof? :-p

Love you too Bev as well as the rest of my pal's here. I love the idea of "nap and cookies time". Indeed I think it would solve a lot of problems :mrgreen:
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”