but I look horrible in orange...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Re: but I look horrible in orange...

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

My rad onc did one during our first consultation, but said that he wouldn't be doing any more because of the potential for pain during radiation. He said, "The chemo onc might want to do it as well." He didn't. I said, "How do we measure the progress during the treatment?" Answer: "We don't." My surgeon gave me a sigmoidoscopy a few weeks after the radiation treatments ended, which is when we found out how well it had worked. Very well.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

helen098

Postby helen098 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:31 pm

I forgot the fun of having your butt cheeks taped to the table
Anyone else have that fun experience?
The best is when they are operating on your butt
Imaging yourself on the cold metal skinny table face down and your iv and monitor on (the best is when they do all the prep after your face down otherwise you have to roll over trying not to fall off the table (not so easy with neuropathy) or get the stuff
Tangled in your long hair (a long time ago it was real long)
The doc comes in and starts chatting to the back of your head
You hear them getting ready then you hear the rip of the duct tape (the way it feels after I am positive it’s the thick black Stuff you use to fix pipes and stuff) you feel your cheeks spread apart and taped to the table.
Then you get a little meds in the IV and it’s ok you don’t mind being taped to the table , naked in a room full of people
It almost seems normal (to me at least 5 times on the table butt in the air I think I have the record but would reluctantly give up my tile if needed) then it all goes back
Next you wake up in recovery and it feels like you are wearing a diaper made of duct tape and you are very lucky if they Haven’t taped your gown to your butt (wonderful interns)
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Boy am I glad that I've never had to experience much of what you guys are talking about! Just before my surgery, my surgeon talked to me about the problems with my tape allergies. She explained to me what position I would be in, that there would be tape holding the tush open, etc. however, it was not an issue for them to administer the anesthesia while I was on my back. I went to sleep on my back and woke up on my back - no indignities for me! I had to have a spinal and propofol so didn't feel anything other than super heavy legs/butt for a few hours but I don't remember anything seeming amiss when I woke up.

Helen, I can't believe that they can't turn you over after you're out of it. It's just incredulous to me that while you're awake, they would put you through that indignity!

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Well now...I feel like I'm missin' out on all the fun out there! :o When I've had my procedures (colonscopies, siggies and colongraphy) I've always just lay on my side in fetal position with a sheet covering my 'nether region'. Never once have I had to assume some wacky butt in the air position! Am I missin' out?? I gotta know!!! :D
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

elcheevo

Postby elcheevo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Yeah uncomfortable for everyone. I've had numerous DREs after dx for BPH. The worst is when the doc tells a joke (ha ha very funny). I think sometimes they are more freaked about it than we are. But I'd take a DRE anyday over a prostate biopsy.
steve 55
dx Feb 09 Stage 3 rectal
5 weeks neoadjuvant chemorad w/ oxi
robotic LAR June 09, loop ileo
IIIC (now IIIB) 4/14 nodes
12 of 12 cycles Folfox6 done 2/25/10
Ileo takedown 4/28/10

helen098

Postby helen098 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:29 am

Ivona
You are so missing out
there is nothing like lying on your face but your butt in the air, trying to make small talk

weird I had the anal fistula surgeries in two hospitals and I allways had to be butt up so to speak before I was knocked out, though when i wake up I am face up, the best was when they had a problem staring the IV. I was face down and the doc came in he said joking (or maby not) why isn't helen ready yet.
The anesthesiologist got all flustered and boy was I getting worried.
After I told the doc and he said not to worry he watches my vitals and color during surgery
But all I was thinking was good but how about looking at the area you are cutting.
He said I had nothing to worry about as she was very good and he allways watched to make sure things are ok. But while she was slapping my hand getting very upset
All I could think was no what if some thing happens how will she react. My blood pressure must of went way up Because once the IV went in I felt the warm rush then feel real good
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Sigh... Did not get to see the orange jumpsuit today. My tongue decided to swell to twice its size an hour before my appt. So I got have a little visit to the ER instead.

I haven't experience the taping during this exam yet. Although I was taped together during my virtual colonoscopy. The tilting table is a fun ride that it's sad you've missed it. I always feel like I'm going to fly forward, only be stopped by those pesky legs.
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm

RayGirl wrote: So I got have a little visit to the ER instead.....

I always feel like I'm going to fly forward, only be stopped by those pesky legs.

Serious reply first....glad you got attended to and hope it was NOT anything serious !

Smartass reply "feel like I'm going to fly forward"

"I want to fly like an eagle
In the surgery,
Fly like an eagle
Let those pesky legs stop me !! "

((apologies to the Steve Miller Band ))
Keep ON keepin' ON sista' !

Oh BTW I've seen the YouTube videos.. and you look great in orange :mrgreen:
OK,.....I'll leave now.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

RickMurtagh

Postby RickMurtagh » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:50 am

I hate it when my doctor apologizes before the exam and says things like, hopefully the next few won't have to be as brutal as this one. I say hook him up to a couple of zappy wires with a pressure switch between my teeth. The worse it is for me, the worse it gets for him.
Rick, 61
DX III two tumors Feb 09
Chemo/rad March 09
Ileo June 09
FOLFOX July 09
Takedown April 10
Mets to the sacrum and presacral area March 11 - NOT
Chronic infection of sacrum that looked like cancer (including a blockage)!
Permanent ileo April 11

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:08 am

If there is an upside to cancer, I found it at the ER. If you say the word "chemo" you go straight to triage, then straight back to a 'clean" room. I was examined, IV installed, benedryl given, observed. For an hour and released in less than two hours total.

No clue what triggered it, never had a reaction like this before. Was drinking a starbucks as a pre-treat for my exam (if I waited until afterwards I would have had to gone decaf and what's the point?) while shopping for a new coffee pot (no I don't have an addiction, "not me" broke the carafe and all the replacement are the wrong dimensions). So it might have been the drink or it might have been something in the store. Maybe it's a sign to give up coffee?
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

lbwagner
Facebook Username: Lori Brownell-Wagner

Postby lbwagner » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:39 am

I know I would lose it if I wasn't able to keep my sense of humor and laugh as much as possible during this! Over the 4th, my family was shooting fireworks and I bought glow stick necklaces and bracelets for the kiddos to wear! Believe me it is a lot of fun watching the kiddos after dark running around with their little necks, wrists and ankles glowing trying to play tag! Glow sticks also make wonderful Halloween costumes as stick people (just tape the sticks to black sweats and after dark you have a stick person!) Anyways, I couldn't miss out on all the fun the kiddos were having on the 4th! So, when I had to visit the restroom, I took a couple of bright orange glow sticks and placed them so it looked like my crack was glowing (Don't freak out! I placed them between my undies and pants.... not right next to my crack!)! Now to fill you in, I had just finished 25 days of pelvic radiation! I came out like nothing was going on and I thought my family was going to fall out of chairs laughing so hard. My 13 yr. old son got his cell phone out and decided to take a picture of Mom's glowing crack! I couldn't let the fun stop there, so I sent the picture to my favorite chemo nurse with a text asking if I should be concerned about my crack glowing..... I wasn't told about this side effect! She got a good laugh and I am sure has shared with others!

All I can say is.... nothing like a cheap glow stick and a warped cancer patient! When I lose my sense of humor, then the world will know I have lost my will to fight and that will NEVER happen!

Enjoy your day and happy glow sticks to you!
Lori

Sinfulsot
Facebook Username: Given Upon Request

Postby Sinfulsot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:51 am

I almost wish i looked at this sooner...

When my a#$ troubles began, thus resulting in the fistula that turned cancerous, the surgeon i was dealing with would put his hand on my shoulder to push me down so he can shove on or more of his fat fingers in my now non-existent rectum.

your prison imagery is right on the money on many levels.
And now something so wonderful, you could get wonderful poisoning.

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am

Going for try #2 for my surgery follow-up. Hopefully I don't go to the extremes of an ER visit just to get out of riding the tilting table ride. :o

Is it wrong to hope the doc likes the view of his work? Fingers crossed.

CRguy wrote:Oh BTW I've seen the YouTube videos.. and you look great in orange :mrgreen:
CRguy

That so wasn't me! Perhaps it was my sister, she actual does look good in orange. And thankfully she had a clean colonscopy, so she doesn't have to take a ride...
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 am

:shock:, :shock:, :shock: and more :shock:

Candy
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:48 am

Candyys03 wrote::shock:, :shock:, :shock: and more :shock:

Candy

YEAH !!!!

What Candy Said :shock:

(( Best wishes on the Tilt-a -Whirl ))

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”