Txt 7 sends me to the hospital!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Txt 7 sends me to the hospital!

Postby tdsamal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 am

As many of you know had a double lung resection the end of May. The surgery was very sucessful although I had a hard with pain managment. It took almost a month to get some relief but slowly I started feeling better. My oncs office called and wanted to see me for which I thought was just a check up on the Fri before Memorial Day. When I went in he wanted me to start back on my chemo. I pleaded with him to wait two weeks because I just didn't feel like my body was ready for chemo. He was adamant that we start right away. So like a good little girl I followed my Dr. orders. First day was fine. Second day I knew something was wrong. By the end of the day I was throwing up and had dia. that wouldn't stop. Next day when I had my pump taken off I was so sick they called the Dr. He ordered 3 bags of fluids which did nothing. So now he says I need to go to hospital. Throwing up and dia continued for 3 days. Seemed like nothing was working. I ended up staying for 7 days. Now he is saying that my body cannot handle any more chemo (which I agree). We have to hope that the 7 txt's that I got have gotten anything that was floating around. This scares the *ell out of me! I am physically and mentally spent. I just cannot deal with anything else. I am to tired and to weak to even do normal things. CANCER JUST SUCKS.
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

Sinfulsot
Facebook Username: Given Upon Request

Re: Txt 7 sends me to the hospital!

Postby Sinfulsot » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 am

ugh. sounds very rough. But your story illustrates that it's not the cancer but the treatment that wholly sucks.
And now something so wonderful, you could get wonderful poisoning.

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:43 am

Oh That sounds terrible.

When I had treatment with 5FU, I was very, very sick and had to be hospitalized similarly. After my body healed from that, my onc switched me to Xeloda - world of difference. I could tolerate it much better. When you heal, you may want to talk with him/her about that as an option. Also, have they determined whether it is that particular type of chemo that your body just can't tolerate but maybe another type it could?

I realize now may not be the time to bring all of this up but I didn't want to forget it!

Hang in there.

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:57 am

That sounds awful - I'm so sorry. As already mentioned, it may just be the type of chemo that your body couldn't tolerate - the Oxi perhaps? But right now you just need to focus on healing from surgery and this latest episode. Sending warm thoughts your way.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:54 am

I am so sorry you're having to go through this!! Just focus for now on getting stronger, then maybe you can talk with you onc. about Xeloda...I hope your pain is under control now.

Luv and hugs,
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:55 am

Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun at all, sorry you had to deal with that. But hey look at it this way, you get a chemo-free summer :D
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am

Sending strong healing vibes to you. Best wishes and strength for dealing with these new challenges, but taking care of your own body is what you can do best. If you need a rest now to recharge the batteries...then so be it. Just one step at a time.

Prayers and best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. The sun is finally out and I'm feeling a little more like myself. I go back to my onc on the 30th and I will have a list of questions for him. He honestly blindsided me with the "no more treatment statement". I did ask about a different drug, but I dont really remember the mumbo jumbo explaination that he gave me. Right now I just have to concentrate on getting better.
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”