Done with treatment today!!!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
R.S.

Done with treatment today!!!!!

Postby R.S. » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi. just thought that I'd let you know that I just finished 6 months of the folfox treatment (oxaliplatin, 5f-u, leucovorin) this afternoon!!! Clean scans last thursday. Yea.

My liver enzymes continued to rise the past few months and then last week dropped to normal.

My oncologist has recommended a colonoscopy next month and then possibly doing 12 months of monoclonal antibody treatments. Has anyone done this??? And, what were the side effects of the treatments?

I was originally diagnosed in March 2002 with stage 3-B colon cancer with 11 out of 15 positive nodes at age 48. I did 18 months of 5f-u and leucovorin. In January of 2005 it spread to my ovaries. I had surgery and the folfox treatments. I would love to talk with anyone with similar experiences.

Thank you,
Becky

Andrea

Monoclonal Antibodies

Postby Andrea » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:41 pm

Hi Becky,
Congratulations on finishing chemo. I started Erbitux (monoclonal antibody) treatment about a month ago. The biggest side effect is the acne-like rash on the face, chest, and back. I didn't get the rash on my back or chest but I did get it along the T-Zone of my face. I've had to learn a new skin care regimen. My skin is extremely dry now, despite looking like I have acne. I've had oily skin my entire life so this is completely new to me. Stock up on some good moisturizer. My Dr. gave me two presriptions to clear the rash up but it drys my skin out even more so I try to avoid it if at all possible. Also, the tips of my fingers (around the nail bed) were very sore. I had read the Erbitux can cause this side effect with mainly the thumbs and big toes. :shock: It was my middle fingers and index fingers though. :roll: I keep my nails pretty short. I would suggest not trimming them too close to the nail bed. I think this added to my discomfort. One more thing, when I get the Erbitux along with my Folfuri treatment about three days later I am extremely weak and fatigued for a couple of days. The best way out of this is to not spend all of your time in bed. Make yourself get up and move as much as you can. It will help you regain your strength faster. I hope this is of help to you and others.
Andrea

Sweet Peg

congrats!!

Postby Sweet Peg » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:34 am

Congratulalations Andrea!! I had my last treatment almost 6 weeks ago too. What a wonderful feeling huh!!! :lol: I have gotten my strength back and my taste is back now pretty much as well. I still have numbness in fingers and toes and no appetite yet, but my surgeon said these are "nerve ending" issues and they take longer to heal. I heard someone the other day say it took 5 months before the numbness left her so I will just be patient. Thank you for sharing your joy with us all. We ALL need good news like this!!! We will keep praying that all will be fine for a very very long time now. Hang in there and go celebrate!!!!

Peg

Rochelle

Remission

Postby Rochelle » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:52 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I am on the same treatment you were on, including Avastin (Liver Cancer). I wish you the best

Rochelle

Chrissee

Finished Treatments

Postby Chrissee » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:59 pm

To all of you that are done with your treatments - congratulations!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!
I am on my second half of my treatments, and now only have 5 to go which should go by quickly - being that I get those every other week!
I was diagnosed with signet ring colon cancer, an aggressive type of colon cancer in April and am undergoing the Folfox treatment along with the Avastin treatment as well. What a lot of strange side effects. The tingling and cold thing is the worst. However, I have been having problems with what I thought was acne, which I have not had in a long time. ( I am 49 ) I am glad to hear others are experiencing that and I will check into that more. It is killing me though as it is on my face, some on my chest and my back as well. It helps when others point out things you don't expect to be normal......thanks!
I wish you all the best............and lets kick this thing in the butt!
Take care!
Chris :D
Chrissee

Holly

Treatment

Postby Holly » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:44 pm

Congratulations on completing your treatment. I wish you continued wellness! As a stage IV survivor, I am grateful every moment to be alive to enjoy my family, and the blessings that each new day brings! God Bless you!

colon cancer follow up

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi

I think this site is great. Very helpful to hear all of your stories. my mother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon ca in march, had surgery and just finished chemo. But her Md says the only follow up ic ct scans. what about Pet scans?? Does anyone know what the right follow up is???
Thank you
Kelly

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:07 am

Kelly,

Each patient and their respective physician will have a perosnalized follow up plan. I am a stage IV colon cancer survivor. My follow up protocol is a petscan/ct scan every three months along with laboratory tests every month. In addition, I undergo a repeat colonoscopy once a year. If you have questions about your mother's follow protocol, ask her physician. I would encourage your mother to be proactve about the management of her health. Please do give your mother a big hug for me and tell her congratulations on her SURVIVORSHIP! I will have you both in my prayers!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”