Great news - My CEA is down from 49 to 4.7

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bradyr

Great news - My CEA is down from 49 to 4.7

Postby bradyr » Thu May 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Great news - my CEA is down from 49 to 4.7 - but what does it really mean?

THe nurse from my oncologist called me to tell me the news today - she was very excited. THis was from my blood test this monday.

I'm stage IV - have mets to liver and bone in lower left leg and upper left arm. I had a colon resection in early Feb which removed 20 cm with wiht clear margins. I've completed 10 radiation treatments for the bone. The two liver liasions are not operable. Just finishing the 4th of 12 chemo treaments (flofox-6) + oxilalplatin and Avastin. Otherwise health, red and whie blood counts a little on the low side but no big deal.

I have my first post-op/post chemo CT scan of the colon/liver next week. Don't have my hopes up too high to see much improvement. (don't want to be disappointed). But I'm hopping for some reduction.

So I understand that a rising number isn't good - but is there any significance to the numbrer going down this fast or this low?

Bradyr

Monique

Postby Monique » Fri May 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Hello Bradyr,

Fantastic news that your CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) is decreasing. I’m not an expert, but CEA is a tumor marker and, from what I understand, a decrease in CEA might indicate that your chemotherapy is working.

Best wishes for your upcoming CT scan.

Monique

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Sun May 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Bradyr,

Great news about your CEA dropping. In my case, the CEA tumor marker has been a very reliable indicator of disease activity. I am so glad to hear of your good news! Congratulations and keep us all posted at the colon club.

Sincerely,
Miss Kim
dx 06/03 stage 4 cc, dx 03/07 papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer
"Live Life to Its Fullest!!!"

sue

Re: Great news - My CEA is down from 49 to 4.7

Postby sue » Mon May 07, 2007 4:56 pm

This is good news from what I know!!! Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.

[ quote="bradyr"]Great news - my CEA is down from 49 to 4.7 - but what does it really mean?

THe nurse from my oncologist called me to tell me the news today - she was very excited. THis was from my blood test this monday.

I'm stage IV - have mets to liver and bone in lower left leg and upper left arm. I had a colon resection in early Feb which removed 20 cm with wiht clear margins. I've completed 10 radiation treatments for the bone. The two liver liasions are not operable. Just finishing the 4th of 12 chemo treaments (flofox-6) + oxilalplatin and Avastin. Otherwise health, red and whie blood counts a little on the low side but no big deal.

I have my first post-op/post chemo CT scan of the colon/liver next week. Don't have my hopes up too high to see much improvement. (don't want to be disappointed). But I'm hopping for some reduction.

So I understand that a rising number isn't good - but is there any significance to the numbrer going down this fast or this low?

Bradyr[/quote]
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon May 07, 2007 9:19 pm

great news congratulations! a lowering cea is a good sign. i always like to read happy posts this is great, i wish you well.

missjv

CEA drop

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2007 8:57 am

My husband has pelvic mets so his CEA was never really high, but he began treatments and his CEA dropped from 9.3 to 1.7 in 2 months. Now it is 3 more months of chemo and his CEA is down to 1.2.

The best news is that a PET/CT proved the response and 2 of the tumors are gone and one is down from 2.5 to 1.4cm.

His scan was so good that the Dr. is giving him a 3 month chemo break (if CEA doesn't do anything too drastic). He will get CEA checked every 4 weeks and a CT in 3 months, and then if it hasn't grown too much he will give him another 3 month break. Regardless of what the tumor is doing at the end of 6 months he has to have a maintenance round of chemo (6 treatments/3months).

Based on the past, I really don't expect him to go 6 months but we are going to enjoy the 3 month break.

MA

bradyr

1st cea drop - now ct scan results good

Postby bradyr » Wed May 09, 2007 6:43 pm

I got my 1st post diagnosis/surgery/chemo CT Scan results today - they are good - no new tumors and the two existing tumors in the liver are smaller.

My MRI scan of the tumor in my tibia is hard to tell if anything is changed. The bone still looks as ugly as ever, but I'm told it will for quite some time. the bigest indication that the radiation has helped that tumor is that the pain is nearly gone. It was a 8/9 out of 10 in feb at the worst. Now it only hurts sometimes when get up from sitting.

all of this progress is after 4 of my scheduled 12 folfox6+avastin chemo treatments and 10 fractions of radiation for 30 grey total. And the colon surgery on feb 14th.

So i'm hoping that this is working (and that once it's done that it will not grow back for awhile or grow very slowly). sigh - I guess we all wish for that.

I also met with my radiation oncologist yesterday and we discussed RFA - which he thinks if the chemo doesn't get rid of all of the liver tumors, that RFA is something that might work well for me. He wants to see me in 3 months when I'm done with the chemo and talk further.

So, clearly the battle isn't over, but at least I have some good news before I go on vacation to visit my son and his wife in florida.

Thank everyone for the support on this forum....

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu May 10, 2007 8:37 am

HI,
WELL THAT IS GOOD NEWS CHEMO IS WORKING. HAVE A FUN TRIP TO FLORIDA BUT WEAR A MASK CAUSE THE FIRES DOWN HERE ARE TERRIBLE. WE HAVE NOT GOTTEN SIGNIFICANT RAIN IN SO LONG THE WHOLE STATE IS DRY AS A BONE.

MISSJV

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”