Pico Salax questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nat

Pico Salax questions

Postby Nat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 am

I have my 1 yr colonoscopy on Wed morning, it's my very first one. I was told to take the pico salax, 1 sachet at 4pm and the 2nd at 7pm on Tues. My mil has gone through this (polyps removed) and thinks only 1 sachet will be enough to clean me out (since my bowel movements have been quite regular ever since my surgery), or that I should take 1.5 max (when I told her I want to follow the instructions) and start taking them earlier in the day so that I'm not running to the bathroom all night.

For those of you who have taken this, did you follow the instructions exactly or did you do things a little differently?
Discovered colon cancer (Stage IIIC) March 2009 during surgery for appendicitis at age 38
Colon resection and 5/21 pos
Finished Folfox Oct 2009
Mom to 7yo boy and 5yo girl

tmn

Re: Pico Salax questions

Postby tmn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 am

I just follow the instructions. If you take too little and your bowel isn't clean enough, you may have to take it again. Also if you take the prep too early your dr may not get a clear view during the procedure. The prep didn't keep me awake all night either. If you think the dose you have been given is excessie, it would be best to discuss it with the dr who will be able to let you know if you can reduce the prep without compromising your scope.
Dx Stage IIIC CRC @33 on 20 May 2008
Colon Rescection, 12 Rounds FOLFOX 4
NED

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Well...as long as you promise not to tell on me.... :mrgreen:

My last prep was with Pico...and to date it's my favorite prep. Simply because it tastes OK and you don't have to drink gallons of the stuff.

My procedure was for first thing in the morning. I took one sachet at 8 am (day before). I was *supposed* to take the 2nd at 8:00pm (again, night before). Well....I noticed that the stuff took approx 3-4 hrs to work. So if I did the full 2nd dose at 8pm...I would be up all night. So I 'cheated'. I took half the sachet at 5pm...and then a bit more at 8pm. So in all, I did about 1 and 3/4 of the full dose. The trick is to watch what comes out of you. You must be pooping complete liquid. If you aren't pooping liquid, then you are not 'clean' enough.
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Nat

Postby Nat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 pm

I won't tell LOL

Does 4pm and 7pm the day before sound right? Those are the instructions the dr's office gave me and if it does take 3-4 hours to work (like I also just read in the pico salax instructions, which also state to take the first one in the morning) then I am going to be up pretty late :shock: My appointment is at 10:15 tomorrow. I figure it won't hurt to take each package an hour or so earlier than I'm supposed to? Anyone else had to take them so late in the day and so close together?
Discovered colon cancer (Stage IIIC) March 2009 during surgery for appendicitis at age 38
Finished Folfox Oct 2009

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Hey Nat,

My surg Onco does his own scoping and his program is : clear fluids all day, Pico Salax 8 am, 3 pm, then clear fluids only after that....scope the next day.

Let us know how it goes, but i would use BOTH packets as directed, not just one.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

CRguy wrote:Hey Nat,

My surg Onco does his own scoping and his program is : clear fluids all day, Pico Salax 8 am, 3 pm, then clear fluids only after that....scope the next day.

Let us know how it goes, but i would use BOTH packets as directed, not just one.

Cheers
CRguy

For a morning scope...these instructions make the most sense....... :mrgreen:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Nat

Postby Nat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Well, now I'm really wondering why they're having me start at 4! Even my mil thought it was odd. I called my surgeon's office but I got the person's voice mail. It's 1:40 here now, wondering if I should go ahead and take my first packet :? I'll try calling them again b/c now I'm really wondering and worrying.
Finished Folfox Oct 2009

Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi Nat,

My mother had her 1 year scope in Feb done by her surg onc. FWIW,
the prep was as follows:

Monday 7pm: Take 3 Dulcolax tablets
Tuesday: clean fluids only
Tuesday 12pm: 1 packet Pico
6pm: 1 packet Pico
9pm: Fleet Enema
After midnight, water only until 6 hours before colonoscopy
Wed 10am: scope

My mom also remarked that the Pico was quite easy to take.
I had colyte 6 months ago and threw up big time. :(

Cheers.

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

How is this prep pronounced? PEEK oh SAY lax? PIE koh SAY lax? I want to pronounce it right when speaking with the doctor. Thanks!
Husband DX CC (T2N0M0) 9/06
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
chemo/rad, 6 weeks, ended 5/2/08
2nd LAR/ temp ileo 6/19/08,
8/4/08> 6 months chemo
ileo reversal 4/09, in remission

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm

pearlgirl wrote:How is this prep pronounced? PEEK oh SAY lax? PIE koh SAY lax? I want to pronounce it right when speaking with the doctor. Thanks!

PEEK oh SAY lax : check some of my old postings I think I gave the company contact info ???
1-800-263-4057 is all I have close at hand now. Readily available in Canada, U.K. Aussie.

AND while we are on crossborder shopping ...we can now get restoraLAX up here which is what you know as miraLAX in the US.

Good luck
CRguy
Last edited by CRguy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Lurker wrote:Hi Nat,
My mother had her 1 year scope in Feb done by her surg onc. FWIW,
the prep was as follows:

WOW that would have been one CLEANED-out Mom !!!

Hope she is well,
Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Nat

Postby Nat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm

I left a message for the surgeon's assistant but haven't gotten a call back so I took the first packet just after 3:00. It was fairly pleasant, a fizzy citrus taste, a little sweet but only had to drink 5oz, easy peasy! Now to wait for the hard part.

On the list I was given it said it was ok to have 1 Boost or Ensure if very hungry, I think I'll go have it soon, I'm starving!
Finished Folfox Oct 2009

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm

You know the only thing I don't like about it is that it uses saccharin and I HATE any artifical sweeteners. Solved that when I found that Orange Gatorade masks the taste pretty well for me, so I use that as my extra fluids before and after the Pico Salax.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Nat

Postby Nat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm

CRguy wrote:You know the only thing I don't like about it is that it uses saccharin and I HATE any artifical sweeteners. Solved that when I found that Orange Gatorade masks the taste pretty well for me, so I use that as my extra fluids before and after the Pico Salax.

Ah, so that's the after-taste, yuck, that's the only unpleasant part. I'll have to find something that works for me, maybe apple juice, I can't stand orange Gatorade, the first time I ever tried it was during my first chemo session and I drank it warm, it really turned me off Gatorade! I had read that pico salax tastes like orange gatorade and I'm happy that's not the case, lol.

I'm still wondering why they wanted me to start at 4pm and hubby thinks maybe they're sparing me having to deal with toilet issues all day, would they be so kind? lol
Finished Folfox Oct 2009

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:10 pm

I would say because a lot of people go to work the day before. I'm sure they've adjust the time for patients that work different hours. Just make sure you take it around those times (give or take an hour or two) and use both packs.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”