Kinked bowel

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bailey1

Kinked bowel

Postby bailey1 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:47 am

Does anyone have any experience of having a kinked bowel. I had this a couple of weeks ago and was in hospital for three days; mega pain and lots of vomiting until it seemd to right itself. I was discharged and in the following 24 hours had chronic diarrheoa which left me feeling very weak. Two weeks on and I still feel very weak, like I've been hit by a bus !
That is my question really, how long should it take to recover from something like that. I feel I should have recovered by now and my doctor doesn't have any explanation why I haven't. I'd be grateful for any ideas please ?
Stay focused, be strong, have faith and live long.
Dx 1999 stage 3C, mets in liver and lungs resected 10/00, 12/00, 01/05 and 08/06, current adenocarcinoma in larynx, trachea and both lungs.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:57 pm

I had surgery to remove 8inches of my colon on March 5th. On the day I was sto begin my first round of chemo, I think it was April 18th, I ended up with a partial bowel obstruction. I was vomiting everywhere!

I ended up in the hosiptal where a stupid male nurse shoved an NG tube down my nose and throat in order to suck everything out of my stomach. They told me they would watch me for 48 hours and if it did not fix itself, they would cut me back open to fix it surgically. Lucky for me it fixed itself just in time.

Only I ended up with a C-Diff infectiona dn a sligth case of pneumonia. I was in the hospital from Friday at 3am until Monday at 1pm when they were going to releaseme, only to start vomiting againa nd run a crazy fever of 104. So I got to stay for another 4 days.

Once I was home, I rested all weekend, but was back to work on that MOnday and started chemo a week later. IT took me about 5 days to feel better since I had lost so much weight! But it did not stop me from going about my life as normal.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 pm

I had surgery to remove 8inches of my colon on March 5th. On the day I was sto begin my first round of chemo, I think it was April 18th, I ended up with a partial bowel obstruction. I was vomiting everywhere!

I ended up in the hosiptal where a stupid male nurse shoved an NG tube down my nose and throat in order to suck everything out of my stomach. They told me they would watch me for 48 hours and if it did not fix itself, they would cut me back open to fix it surgically. Lucky for me it fixed itself just in time.

Only I ended up with a C-Diff infectiona dn a sligth case of pneumonia. I was in the hospital from Friday at 3am until Monday at 1pm when they were going to release me, only to start vomiting again and run a crazy fever of 104. So I got to stay for another 4 days.

Once I was home, I rested all weekend, but was back to work on that MOnday and started chemo a week later. IT took me about 5 days to feel better since I had lost so much weight! But it did not stop me from going about my life as normal.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

nodo

Postby nodo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:20 pm

I too had that unfortunate experience. I was about halfway through chemo when it happened to me - about four and a half months post surgery. I was in the hospital for five days. The pain was awful! I think this is one of those things that we deal with after having a colon resection. I have a friend whose mom had a colon resection and had a bowel obstruction requiring surgery over 10 years later. Anyway, I took a laxative once a day for the rest of chemo to avoid the problem. About 6 months post chemo, I weaned myself from the laxative. For several years, I have had no problems. Then, here I am three and a half years later and twice in the last four months, I have had the pains from the beginning of a bowel obstruction. Luckily, I know when it is starting and I just go to clear liquids for a day or two until it fixes itself. I did have a doctor tell me that for 6 months following surgery, your intestines/colon are "harder" so you really need to watch the digestion during that time. After 6 months, they do soften and return to normal. However, throw chemo into that mix and it can really cause difficulties. Hang in there, it does get better!

bailey1

kinked bowel

Postby bailey1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:29 pm

thanks nodo and seussfan, grateful for your info.
My colon resection was nearly 8 years ago. Sorry to hear you are still having the same problem nodo - I'm none too keen on going through that again !
I'll just have to keep fingers crossed and hope I feel better soon.
Stay focused, be strong, have faith and live long.

Dx 1999 stage 3C, mets in liver and lungs resected 10/00, 12/00, 01/05 and 08/06, current adenocarcinoma in larynx, trachea and both lungs.

nodo

Postby nodo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:14 am

I didn't realize that your surgery was 8 years ago. I have heard of people having similar issues several years out. From what I understand, once you have had a surgery like this, it can happen even 15 plus years later. Luckily, it is not frequent or common, but it does happen. Hopefully, that will be your last experience with it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”