CEA levels

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hawaii

CEA levels

Postby Hawaii » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:11 pm

What is a normal CEA level in someone?

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:11 pm

I BELIEVE between 0 and 5.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am

My onc said that "normal is between 0 and 5, but a non-smoker should be betwee 0 and 2.5. A smoker will be bewtees 2.6 and 5. Right now I am at 0.5.....whooopppeeee!!!!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

bradyr

Postby bradyr » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:03 pm

my doc had also told me 1-5 was normal - but all over the web seems to say 0-2.5 or 3 for non-smokers.

mine was 49 orginally, then 4.7 last month and my doctor told me thursday mine is now 1.7 - that's after finishing 5 of my scheduled 12 folfox6 + avastin chemo treatments.

perky

please answer a simple question......

Postby perky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:24 am

Hi guys

ca I ask you a simple question and appreciate if just can get a YES or NO answer than details :)
thanks

Q)CEA level is an indicator of presence of cancer?

seussfan

Postby seussfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 am

yes
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
2009 Colondar Model

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:53 am

Unfortunately CEA wasn't taken before my surgery. My original path report from the colonoscopy showed a benign tumour. My sneaky pete tiny little tumour turned out to be stage III rectal 2 nodes!!

I have been getting CEA done since I completed chemo in October 2006. Last visit I asked my Onc what marker where they using for me for the CEA test and she said 5.

What do they take into consideration when they "assign" a CEA number?

Are all CEA tests/reports done the same way i.e. if I went to another hospital would I show the same results or is there a variation in the way tests are performed and results posted?

My last CEA test showed 2.3 and my onc said that is "good". I get freaked out when I see people posting 0.5. I start to think 2.3 is HIGH :(

Is there really a "normal" CEA number?????

seussfan

Postby seussfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:31 pm

2.3 is not high - it is in the normal range. 0 - 2.5 in the normal range for non-smakers and 2.6 - 5 is the normal range for smokers. They would tell you if it were bad. Also, everyone's "normal" could be different. 2.3 could be your normal.
2009 Colondar Model

sue kidera

cea

Postby sue kidera » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:55 pm

My blood lab has 0-3 as the normal range. I also see that range in much of the literature I have read on cea. Sue

bradyr

Postby bradyr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:28 pm

yes - my doctor tells me that everyone's normal CEA range varies anywhere from 0 to 2.5 as "normal" - and normal is really just a statistical range of people's value for CEA who don't have cancer.

CEA isn't like blood pressure or blood count were an objective person to person comparison of the value can be done.

what's more significant is that the value is dropping and once it stops dropping (and other tests seem to confirm there is no growing cancer) than that is a "normal" value for you to watch over time to see if it increases, which may mean cancer has returned.

so don't worry if your value is on the high end of the range - what's more significant is how your value goes up (or more hopefully down or stays the same) over time.

at least that's what I understood from my doctor.

wendy21

CEA

Postby wendy21 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:27 pm

CEA numbers fresked me out for the entire time I did chemo. My colon dr. said my CEA was 4 before the surgery. In this hospital after surgery, it was 1.9. When I started chemo it was 2.3 each time I went to chemo for the first 7 rounds it kept going UP! to a high of 6.8
At that time the oncologist ordered a PET scan and another CT scan. Both came back normal and she said that some people's CEA rises during chemo. After round 7, the CEA went down. When I stopped chemo it was 3.2 and she said it was "fine" now, 1 year after finishing FOLFOX and 6 months after finishing Avastin it is 1.9 I'm hoping this is good -- and I'm hoping it stays here.

Wendy
Stage III colon with two positive nodes.

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Wendy: I'm driving myself crazy. When I was going through Chemo/Radiation I had something to "do" to fight the beast. I've been NED since October and honestly I'm in worse shape "mentally" than when I was in treatment. To-day it is my CEA that I'm worried about! I'm driving myself "batty" looking for signs that the cancer has returned.

I used to envision pak-man eating up cancer cells - now I keep having visions of cancer cells duplicating in my body,

I've turned into a shaking bowl of jello emotionally.

I know that 2.3 is "normal" and that my Onc would be very quick to jump if here is a problem. I'm just obesssing - something that I seem to be doing a lot of these days :oops:

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Joyce,

I hope that what you are going through is normal, because I feel the same way. I worry about it everyday and have to work hard not to let it take over.

I am waiting for a CEA result and since I haven't heard anything, I am hoping it was fine.

Every little twinge feels like cancer.
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi Sharon:

When I was in Florida cancer was the last thing on my mind. Palm trees, fun and margaritas tend to dull the sense of reality. 8)

Now that I'm back home I have way too much time on my hands - Hubby has gone back to work "consulting" for 2 or 3 days a week. I'm home with the computer and find that I'm "googling" colon/rectal cancer stats etc way too much.

Where in the heck did the determination to beat cancer go? I'm wallowing in self-pity, weepy and lonely.

I had blood work done in early May. I didn't hear back from my Onc.. I didn't call her - seems I would rather sit here and worry about it. I had no problem calling her office when I was in treatment and I needed reassurance. I guess I just think she has "sick" people to deal with and I shouldn't waste her time.

My next appointment with oncologist for blood work is August.
CT scans and colonoscopy in November.

Hang in there kiddo --- you did a "great" job of dealing with Chemo and taking care of your kids. You have good reason to feel tired.. I on the other hand need a swift kick in the butt.

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

CEA Levels

Postby jane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi,

My understanding of CEA levels are that approx 60% of colorectal malignant tumours are CEA secretors. Therefore it is not an accurate measure for all of us but it's the best available at present. When I was diagnosed, my CEA was 1.4. By the end of treatment (chemo/radio, surgery, chemo) it was 2.7. It is now 1.7, almost 1 year post. So because my CEA was low despite being diagnosed stage 3 rectal, my doctor cannot guarantee me that it is an indicator for me. Like everyone else though I take great comfort from my 3 monthly blood tests as I feel well.

On a lighter note this friday my husband, myself, and my 4 children are off on a 5 week holiday to Spain, France and Italy. It's the holiday we had to postpone fron last year as I was still receiving treatment. I've just started to pack!!

Cheers! Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”