After Surgery Recipes or Menu Plans

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Natty

After Surgery Recipes or Menu Plans

Postby Natty » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Guys

First how is everyone, have not been here in a couple of days, but so far recovery is looking well, he is mostly resting and talk walks, eating good to as well..but I have been doing some reading and realizing to from talking to the Consultant of the Cancer support Services that he should be following a more liquid diet where he should at least blend and puree most of his foods as much as possible but what I would like to do is sit down and just note a few receipes that he can follow for Breakfast Melas, Lunch Meals and Snacks or Dinner even because I have notice that it's recommended that you use at least 6 small meals per day instead of 3 usual big meals. I got him his vitamins and minerals (liquid form), as well as protien powder to use to build back his nutrients and more easy on the stomach as advised. I was also advised by the consultant that he should use distilled drinking water instead of tap water.

Does anyone know any sites or have any receipes or menu I can follow to assist with this recovery process and to help his body deal with chemo when it comes.

Thanks

Natty
Bestfriend of 37 year old male
Stage IV
18.5 cm Colon Resection
4/6 Lymph Nodes
Lung Mets
XELOX- 7/04/2010- FINISHED 9/9/2010 (8 rounds)
Radiotherapy/5FU 22/11/2010 - 23/12/2010 (4.5 weeks)
FOLFOX+Avastin (20 rounds)
FOLFIRI+Avastin
July '72 - March 2014

PennyLane

Re: After Surgery Recipes or Menu Plans

Postby PennyLane » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 am

Hi Natty,

I doubt that your friend's system is ready for this yet, but my favorite thing
to make while I was on chemo was these little sorta pizza things.

You need:
Tortilla shells, plain flour or sundried tomato or whatever you like
plain unflavored yogurt
diced tomatoes
sliced black olives
spinach, fresh or frozen, if frozen thaw and squeeze liquid out
shredded mozzarella cheese or provolone or again whatever sounds good

Take your shell, I'd do two if I was really hungry, and put on a cookie sheet and
put in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes just to crisp it a little.
Then take them out and put a heaping spoonful of yogurt on each shell and spread it around.
Next put your veggies on and then sprinkle some of the cheese on top.
Put back in the oven for a little bit. You just need to melt the cheese really.

You can put other things on it too of course. Now that my system is back to normal I like
onions on it. Bell peppers are yummy too.

Best wishes to your friend, hope he's feeling better soon.
Penny

7/08 DX Rectal Cancer
6 wks Rad, Xeloda
11/08 Surgery, Tumor removed,
Perm Colostomy
Stg 3 RC, 3/20 lymph nodes +
7/09 6 mo adj chemo done
8 FOLFOX + 2 rounds Xeloda
5/18/10 Liver Met on PET/CT
6/18/10 PET/CT Gamma Probe Guided Liver Resection

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Check out this site - I've bought this woman's books and I really love them, but the web-site has a few recipes you could just print off for free. Her "Magic Mineral Broth" (i.e. veggie broth) is quite good - even by itself. She has a number of good soup recipes....

http://rebeccakatz.com/recipes/
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

LizzyDavis

Postby LizzyDavis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:46 pm

After Colon Resection Surgery

I had pudding, popsicles, applesauce, soup, fruit cocktail (canned).
I was prescribed a ]Low Residue Diet after my surgery.

A low residue diet eliminates coarse fiber and other indigestible material that may cause distress to the gastrointestinal tract and designed to reduce the volume and frequency of bowel movements. It is similar to a low fiber diet, but also restricts milk and milk products and prunes.
----------------------------------------
b]Foods to Choose:[/b]Ground, well cooked fish, poultry, beef, pork, or lamb.
Eggs --Strained fruit -- Canned or cooked fruit without skin or seeds -Bananas, soft cantaloupe or honeydew melon
Well cooked fresh or canned vegetables------- Cooked potatoes (no skin)
Enriched white bread, rolls, biscuits, muffins, bagels, English muffins, waffles, French toast, pancakes - White rice, noodles, or pasta - Cream of wheat, grits, farina - Puffed rice, corn flakes, or other refined cereals
Milk, yogurt, custard, ice creamCheese, cottage cheese
Juice Soft drinks Decaffeinated coffee or tea - Cake, cookies, pie, pudding, ice cream, sorbet, popsicles - Oil, butter, margarine, mayonnaise, salad dressing
b]Foods That May Cause Distress[/b]:[/size]Tough, fibrous meat with gristle-- Dry beans, peas, and lentils-- Baked beans---Chunky Peanut butter
Prunes and prune juice --Raw or dried fruit---All berries and raisins
Raw or steamed vegetables------Asparagus--Sweet potatoes---Whole asparagus---Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, sauerkraut, onions, cauliflower, corn, winter squash
Bread or muffins with nuts, seeds or fruit---Whole wheat, pumpernickel, or cornbread---Brown or wild rice---Whole grain cereals, bran cereals, granola, or any cereals with nuts, seeds, coconut, or dried fruit
Yogurt with nuts or seeds
Desserts made with nuts, seeds, coconut, or dried fruit-Popcorn[/size]

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Lizzy Davis
Last edited by LizzyDavis on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

V98ci

Postby V98ci » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:22 pm

I had gone from 218 to 158 by the time I had surgery. After a couple weeks recovery that saw me eating fruit, soup, ice cream and popsicles, my onc and surgeon said to eat anything and everything to gain some of my weight back. That's what I did, now I'm back at 195. I've had to shut the eating down to keep from really porking up.
DX 12/4/08 Stage IV colon cancer with mets to liver
Colon resection, 10 inches, 12/19/08
52 rounds of Folfox w/Avastin started Jan 15, 2009
Tried irenotecan and erbitux, didn't kill any cancer but I got a bad rash and my hair fell out!
8/23/11 Sir Spheres

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”