How long does it take to recover from a reversal

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
beary22071

How long does it take to recover from a reversal

Postby beary22071 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi all I had my surgery to have the lymph nodes removed from my peri aortic. At the same time then did my ileostomy reversal. All went well, they say they got it all again. I see my oncologist on Monday to see where we go next. We are planning a trip to Disney in 2 weeks and I am wondereing am I crazy to go that soon after surgery? I plan on taking a wheelchair with us when we go cause I know I will not be able to survive the long days of walking. We had to postpone the trip twice already once for the liver surgery and once for the chemo after the liver surgery. The kids are so excited about going I don't want to disappoint them again, plus I really want to go. I just hope I can survive the drive it is about 17 hours. How long has it taken some of you to recover from your reversal? I have been doing laps around my living room to stay moving about 6 5 minute walks. Any other suggestions? Thank you :D
Stage IV
dx 9/07 with colon resection
oxy/5FU
Liver resection 7/08
Comptasar/Avastin/ 5FU
Lymph node removal reversal 8/09
sept 09-feb 1o erbitux
sept 10 back on erbitux/comptasar
Mitoxantrone/5FU
oxy/avastin/5Fu
avastin only
now oxy/comptasar/5FU

BrownBagger

Re: How long does it take to recover from a reversal

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:33 pm

I've been blogging my August 20 reversal here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9501

Ten days out, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Disneyland. I would definitely expect to tire more easily than normal, but anyplace with decent bathrooms (DL qualifies there) would be a place I'd be comfortable visiting at this point. You will need to watch what you eat. I'd figure out what works best for you and pack a lunch rather than risk eating something that might unexpectedly turn on you.

As to the bathroom thing, I went from about 8:00 this morning until 2:00 p.m. without needing to visit same, so it's really not a huge deal. For me, at any rate, continence is not an issue.

I know others have fared far worse. All I can do is explain what it's been like for me.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

beary22071

Postby beary22071 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Thank you for the info. I will keep it in mind. I am still running to the bathroom between 5 to 8 times a day. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since surgery.
Stage IV
oxy/5FU
Liver resection 7/08
Comptasar/Avastin/ 5FU
sept 09-feb 1o erbitux
Mitoxantrone/5FU
oxy/avastin/5Fu
avastin only
now oxy/comptasar/5FU

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:35 pm

Recovery for this type of surgery seems to vary widely by individuals. I can understand your wanting to do this trip with your kids. If you feel you can do it - give it a try. If you're driving - what's the worst that can happen? You turn around and come home - or you end up staying in the hotel room. The wheel chair is an excellent idea. I was on the slow side of recovery, so this would not have been an option for me - but others have fared much better.

Listen to your body and listen to your heart, and proceed accordingly. Make sure you bring plenty of supplies with you. By this I mean food that you can eat and your body handles well, butt burn cream, lots of TP and/or baby wipes, (TP in hotels can be rough), any pain meds you might need and any meds you are taking for constipation and/or diahhrea. And the all important Depends! Bring your doctors # with you in case you need to call him/her while on your trip and have a plan ready in case you do need to seek medical attention while you're on the road.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

beary22071

Postby beary22071 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Thank you for the advice. I saw my oncologist today and she said to go ahead and go. She prescribed some medicine for diareah. I already have the depends just in case and we have a porta potty we will be taking in the van with us. My oncologist is referring me to a radiation doctor to see if they want to radiate where the lymph nodes were taken out. Hopefully all goes well.
Stage IV
oxy/5FU
Liver resection 7/08
Comptasar/Avastin/ 5FU
sept 09-feb 1o erbitux
Mitoxantrone/5FU
oxy/avastin/5Fu
avastin only
now oxy/comptasar/5FU